Airfix 1/72nd scale Bf109 E4

raguk

Hi,

Here is my 3rd build of 2014.

It is the new tool Airfix 109 E4 in the markings of 1/JG3 as flown by Franz Von Werra.

It lived up to its pilot in as far as it was nearly the one that got away,

The kit fought me all the way to completion.

There were numerous occasions when it nearly went in the bin.

I must add nothing to do with Airfix but I really just wasn't happing for me.

Yeap the aerial mast broke as others have stated and then lost the spinner and broke the canopy right hand lower section of the windscreen my fault again.

Just as it had me thinking I had beaten it in to submission I caught it and knocked it off the bench causing some damage again to the mast and canopy.

I used Quickboost resin seat and Barracuda resin wheels.

I went and bought another kit to nick the spinner so I thought I would use the canopy from that one too,wrong!!!

At the front where it is attached to the sprue gate it had broken leaving a nice round hole in the bottom portion.

I have asked Airfix nicely for a new one and will add this to the completed model when it arrives.

On a more positive note the kit went together really well and my experience was down to me alone.(I was due a bad one)

I wanted to finish it too quickly for display at Huddersfield show on Sunday.

I its painted with Gunze as always and the kit decals behaved as you would expect, being printed by Cartograph.

I will buy another at Huddersfield, and perhaps have another go!

Overall I'm happy with how the paint job came out and the overall finish,

As always comment and criticism welcome

See you on the IPMS Lancashire Club display at Huddersfield show on Sunday

Rick G.

qft1.jpg4v4y.jpgfexp.jpg3ted.jpgmbiy.jpg

• Like 5

That is a great model, brilliant work! It has to be said, Airfix are churning out some fine kits at the moment, their 1/72 collection is now huge!

edit: just noticed you had a lot of trouble on the build, after saying that about airfix! Your finished model is certainly worth the hassle mate :)

Edited by Val
  • Like 1

That is a great model, brilliant work! It has to be said, Airfix are churning out some fine kits at the moment, their 1/72 collection is now huge!

edit: just noticed you had a lot of trouble on the build, after saying that about airfix! Your finished model is certainly worth the hassle mate :)

Thanks for the comments however I think possibly with the exception of the canopy, all the trouble was of my own doing.

I spoke with a few modellers at Huddersfield on Sunday and some of them had also problems with the canopy cracking or already broken on their kits too.

Rick G

• Like 1

lovely job Rick, I have the same model and have just finished (will post very soon) but now i have seen yours i might not! this was my first build of this size for over 35 years and thought it was ok. seeing yours though has made me think i could do better.

Really love the paint job as others say nice and crisp.

Simon

• Like 1

Lovely 109 Rick, like the others, I very much like the paint job. I have this in the stash as well, nice tip about the canopy, I'll be sure to be easy with it it,

Sean

• Like 1

lovely job Rick, I have the same model and have just finished (will post very soon) but now i have seen yours i might not! this was my first build of this size for over 35 years and thought it was ok. seeing yours though has made me think i could do better.

Really love the paint job as others say nice and crisp.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Please don't feel put off from posting your model.

The great thing with this hobby is we can all do better with each build we undertake, but having fun is equally important.

We all need a little inspiration at times and I know I have looked at some other modellers work in the past(and present) and tried to emulate what I have seen.

Asking questions as well helps how did you do that etc.

I too only returned to 1/72nd scale about 2 years ago after being a little ill and not wanting to undertake any long term projects in my usual 48th.

You are in good company here and fellow B.M's will offer help and advice if given the chance so post away

Rick G