amt enterprise d question

nickymaude

i thought its about time i tackled my amt enterprise d, which has been sat on my shelf for about 2 years, im going to be doing it lit, now i have a small minicraft drill for the windows, i just wanted to ask whats the right sized drill bit to use? Thanks.

OMG - the windows for the D are not round but oblong - so you will have to drill 4-5 holes per window and cut them straight at the long sides with a scalpel. It makes sense to thin the plastic from the backside with a Dremel as well. This procedure grants for hours and hours of modelling fun. Frankly I would approach this completely different: Sell your AMT Enterprise D and get the Round2 version which is basically the same as the AMT kit but is using clear styrene... So just paint your Enterprise (fist white, then black to reflect/shield off the light and then the ship colours) and srape away the paint from the windows you want to have lit (or use maskol or the like).

Rene

He has a point, the new moldings are clear so that you can light the windows with out all that work. It's the same kit you have only molded in clear.

You have had yours for 2 years, I bought mine in 1998 after coming back from German, US ARMY, and have yet to start it. :banghead:

• 11 months later...

I drilled the windows on the first D I built about twenty years ago, I drilled 4 or 5 holes and then dragged the drill through the remaining plastic to connect them.

I don't recall the drill size I used, but I remember breaking several bits in the process.

Cheers,

Stuart

Yes I remember doing the same thing, only issue is to watch for heat build up so it doesn't melt them too big. Daft this is the fibre optic version never looked right, a tiny spot of light in the a long window?! I'm doing a Voyager now, same thing but less windows and they are quite a lot bigger. Wondering if I can find a suitable micro file to keep them square (they are on that one)