Shock Horror! It's another Airfix S.A Bulldog 1/72 - *FINISHED*

Dazzio

Hello one and all,

I did say I was going to build one of these aircraft and after finally find one (for £9.99) I purchased it. I have been building it over the last few weeks but haven't gotten very far due to work and SWMBO and SWTSMBO (She Who Thinks She Must Be Obeyd) getting in the way. I was originally going to do the aircraft that I flew in when I was in the ATC. However I appear to have lost/misplaced my 3822, so I have no log of it. Plus with the other 2 (or 3??) RAF Bulldogs I decided to try the Swedish version. The only problem is the decals, they have seen better days, I dont know when, but I am guessing they have! On to the pictures.

j4yy.jpg

I think this "boxing" (I use that term loosely) is older than most of us on this forum... just :P Also I wish I paid 28p for it! How cool would that be? After some cutting and cleaning up I started to clean it up.

4vlk.jpg

Here is the IP and the control sticks, I don't actually remember what colours they where so I used artistic license. The centre console (is that the correct term?) has also been painted to look pretty. The fire extinguisher is a cut USB cable, once again it looks pretty good! (I also used it for my 1/144 Puma build).

m3s0.jpg

All the bits put in together, I tried to make the seats look better... kinda pulled it off I guess. I can still have a play with them at a later date I guess. I have checked photos online (because there is SO many!) and I am going with the vague assumption (until proven otherwise) that both RAF and Swedish versions are the same. It doesn't look too bad, altho I never realised how much room there was in the back, could get your weekly shop in there! :P

Thank you for looking

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 2

Nice start. Don't forget to cram as much weight into the engine as you can to avoid a tail sitter!

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Nice start. Don't forget to cram as much weight into the engine as you can to avoid a tail sitter!

Andrew

Thanks for the tip, I usually cram as much in as I can as I have been caught out the hard way a few times. :) Hopefully I have got enough in there.

Excellent! Another member of the Bulldog club, you're off to a crackin' start too.

Thank you Misterfriend, this is unfortunately the only aircraft I have ever flown.

Luckily I still have my 3822 but I can't be bothered to mess about trying to find the correct one and decals.

Oh I still have my 3822, but as to where it is... I have no idea. I can't be bothered to have my room out looking for it neither. I have already tried looking for decals for the Bulldog and have found none. So I am just going to cheat and make the Swedish one. Something different I guess.

Can you believe there is not a single model of a Land Rover Discovery in any scale?!

Right this is a far as I have gotten due to the Hazel.

12842146455_49b190dc4c.jpg

I apologise for the poor quality of the picture. This was taken on my phone as my gf had my DSLR, I have since cut the canopy out and masked it. I have filled in all of the gaps (there is a few) and am just waiting for that to set.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well it has been a while since my last update... could of sworn I done one between now and the last post? Anyhow... I am not finally starting to sort myself out (long story) and I am back working on the Bulldog. Here is where I am right now...

13786473103_5a0569a2c6_b.jpg

This is all sprayed with the new Silverline Evo airbrush (god I am loving that brush!). I forgot about the red bits when I done the camo, so I have had to add them after the camo bits. I masked them up first and painted them white. As you can see, the white has leaked everywhere... going to have to sort that out. Also it is very bright... are they supposed to be that bright??

13786426793_9296fa9875_b.jpg

just noticed the overspray on the nose also... bugger... oh well that shouldn't take me too long. Now to get her cleaned up/glossed and all decaled up :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Finally found the paints I used to paint this one and touched up the white bits. Sorry for the dodgy camera, it was my iPhone.

13904631422_66325f59db_b.jpg

Just need to get a few details painted and then onto the gloss for the "wonderful" decals.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

Cheers Speedman, was fun trying to remember what paints I had used. I must write them down next time!! The tidy up went better than I thought it would. Working with 1/144 makes it easier to do small touch ups eh?! ;)

Hoping to get this bugger done before the deadline.

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...

About ten days to go. Plenty of time... :analintruder:

Typically in the way I usually do things, I am leaving it all to the last second (not literally mind). I *SHOULD* get this done in time for the end. In between all the crap at work (trust me, it's alot), birthdays and studying for my final CCNA I have not had much free time. But I am getting there!!

14091439585_f13d0b9226_b.jpg

13904854588_8ac0a62967_b.jpg

13904825037_5c11521643_b.jpg

13904840640_837be86045_b.jpg

So all I have to do is tidy up some areas and wack on a matt coat and she will be sorted. :) I really do suck at painting wheels... :(

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I have finished!!

Got this one finished about 4 hours ago but between listening to the new(ish) Within Temptation CD (one of my fav bands) and reading Aaa! Megami-sama (my fav manga) I kinda forgot to post pics. Well here we go!

13921434999_3f95d0f016_b.jpg

You really can see into that cockpit eh? Wish I had shined it up more now...

13921472200_30d4324052_b.jpg

13921434417_a4a28fcd36_b.jpg

14108484734_842c3b358f_b.jpg

13921474750_ba312b3cb1_b.jpg

14104846701_c3fb091a40_b.jpg

But whats that on the left canopy?

13921422027_d285e18cba_b.jpg

Oh bugger! Didn't notice this until I took the masking off. God knows what it is... well it's probably glue of some kind, I do not have the time to fix it before the end of the GB. So it's realistic student damage! :D Unfortunately I did not heed AndrewE's advise and put enough weight into the nose as she is a tail sitter. Oh well...

I may look into a replacement canopy at a later date.

Thank you all for looking and thank you for your encouragement all. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 3

Thank you Jonners, I'm listening to Hydra, still think I like The Unforgiving or the Q Sessions better tho. Have you ever heard of "Mixed Temptations"?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thank you Snapper, I'm glad I've gotten it done also. Learned a bit from it too, hopefully my next model will be better :)

Jonners, it's an album that's free to download. But it's a mash up album all featuring Within Temptation, most of it is kinda dancey but they all fit and are really good. :)

Thank you Tomjw, I'd hardly call that finish good. But it's a start, I've got a few old Airfix Luctwaffe examples, lets see how well I can cock them up! :D

Thank you all for the kind words. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz