Kiwi Scooter

Rich F

Finally managed to find my mojo again after nearly a year. This ones been sitting on the shelf for quite some time, after browsing through a copy of Air Modller featuring a beautiful RNZAF TA-4J by Peirre-Allain Lambert it inspired me to pull out my Hasegawa 1/48 A-4E/F.

KiwiScooter001_zps6a469c79.jpg

I'll be using the excellent Gekko Graphic's RNZAF Skyhawks sheet No.2

KiwiScooter002_zpsab10f688.jpg

Not sure which bird I'm doing yet but it'll be a Kahu upgrade with the peculiar Euro 1 camoflague. Something like this one...

KiwiScooter003_zpsfb028522.jpg

So first thing was a bit of tinkering with the I/P. Part of the Kahu upgrade was installing 2 MFD's in the cockpit so I cut up one of my F-16's I/P's. I also made a few analog dials from evergreen sheet and punched it out with Waldrons punch and die set.

KiwiScooter004_zpsa78c4165.jpg

A bit more sprucing up of the cockpit with some scratch building and Pavla's Escapac seat.

KiwiScooter005_zps84936143.jpg

Also part of the upgrade was a up-front panel, I nicked one from my Amraam Harrier cockpit set and fitted it into the I/P shroud.

KiwiScooter010_zps37277e8f.jpg

KiwiScooter007_zpsa589bcfc.jpg

Intake and exhaust painted and weathered.

KiwiScooter014_zpsa0cfa2ff.jpg

And cockpit finished, I plan on plonking a pilot in the pit, so not much of this will be seen, oh well, I know its there.

KiwiScooter020_zps6b62b7a4.jpg

KiwiScooter018_zpsd40c199b.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 10

Thanks for the comments guys.

@ k5054nz: yes your right the Euro 1 was awesome, so jealous growing up near the kahu's!

@ abat:The pavla seat did need a little sanding to fit between the consoles but you cant see the detail once its in anyway.

A little more progress,

The hasegawa skyhawk has a step where the slats retract, in reality there isn't one, so i glued in a plastic strip, filled and sanded it.

KiwiScooter019_zps20a0f744.jpg

Next I added the lumps and bumps that are unique to the kahu, namely RWR's and the beacon moved across to the other wing.

KiwiScooter016_zps76720bd7.jpg

KiwiScooter018_zps7b652305.jpg

KiwiScooter017_zpsff51e133.jpg

Then I raided my Hasegawa F-16 for a pilot, I didnt really want to just use him as he came so mutilated him a bit, then posed his arms the way I wanted them.

Looks about right.

KiwiScooter013_zps162a21b4.jpg

Added a little detail, although not sure about the oxygen hose, I'll prime him and see then.

KiwiScooter014_zpsf818dbc2.jpg

KiwiScooter015_zps2e13a4c7.jpg

Yesterday a these little beauties arrived. The detail is stunning.

KiwiScooter020_zps69c4e61a.jpg

KiwiScooter022_zps4338ab6a.jpg

KiwiScooter021_zps3c0ef4b2.jpg

Really enjoying this build,

Thanks guys!

• Like 2

Yes, those antennas under the wing tips are a bit fiddly to fabricate, are they not?! Halfway through mine; just got to sand them to shape! Am also doing a maverick load out with a missile pinched from an italeri Gripen; a training sidewinder for the other pylon for colour, I think! Top work on the pilot, by the by!

Paul

I'm not sure if you plan on hanging the Maverick as a live weapon (only ever carried for the one test firing) or a training guided missile (which is what we loaded all the time), but if you are going to use it to represent the training missile, they don't have the rear steering fins.

Edited by CharlieNZ

I'm not sure if you plan on hanging the Maverick as a live weapon (only ever carried for the one test firing) or a training guided missile (which is what we loaded all the time), but if you are going to use it to represent the training missile, they don't have the rear steering fins.

Now that I didn't know... out comes the scalpel for my build...

Paul

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Holy thread revival Batman!

Well after nearly 2 years since i last updated this thread i have finally made some more progress, I don't think the pyramid's took this long too build!

Since my last update I've been made redundant and have got a new job which means i work away a lot, hence the long spell away from the modelling bench.

Anyway progress update, i have put the initial camouflage coat on, paints used were Gunze Sangyo and Tamiya Dk green was H309 Grey XF-50 lightened with white and the light green was a 50/50 mix of H303 and H58.

Kiwi%20Scooter%20026_zpscoufrmyg.jpg

Kiwi%20Scooter%20029_zpsb5sfe847.jpg

Kiwi%20Scooter%20030_zpsnuk9vdcz.jpg

Kiwi%20Scooter%20027_zpsjy0qc400.jpg

Lots of weathering going on soon, I'll update as i go

Hopefully it wont take me another 2 years too finish!

• Like 8