Lightning markings experts required

mikesmodels

Well the thread title doesnt relate to me, but both markings look like "Zaps" to me, the Bird (Eagle?) looks to be the 23 Sqn emblem, a former Lightning unit,(Edit: Having just checked Tigercat's suggestion, I would concur with him, The Eagle is a dead ringer for the 316 Sqn RNLAF Unit crest)

The cat looks to me to be the F-14 Tomcat "Anytime Baby" character.

Both are examples of unofficial markings, usually applied by rival groundcrews to aircraft of rival Units, usually on detachment from home base. (Or to visiting aircraft to your base)

I suspect that the "anytime baby" cat may not have been applied by US Navy guys, more likely that the Character had been purloined by an RAF unit, possibly 74 Sqn, although I am more familiar with their "Norman".

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 2

Thank you very much Tigercat and Troffa, I am sure that your right about the eagle. Not convinced about the cat though. I wonder if both zaps were applied at the same time. From my failing memory I recall the aircraft that carried these had both at the same time, the cat on the port side and the eagle on the starboard.

Thanks,

Mike.

The 2 piccies show different aircraft. One is green/grey camo, the other is DSG. Im wondering if its a 74 sqn zap. I wouldnt be surprised if it was applied at APC in Akrotiri. Im sure both units were there at the same time, possibly 1985.

Yes, I know the two photos are of different aircraft but they both had the cat on the port side and the eagle on the starboard. It is possible that in 1985 they both went to the APC and both visited 316 RNLAF, or perhaps 316 also went to the 1985 APC. With all your help I know have an idea where to look - thank you.

Mike.

I'm certain that the Cat is a variation of the "Anytime Baby" character, you can discern the holstered pistol on its right hip in the image posted above, and the "Cricket bat" or whatever its leaning on is in the stead of the original "Tomcat" twin tails.

Here's an example:

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/310/a/6/f_14_tomcat_anytime_baby_flight_insignia_by_viperaviator-d6ta9kx.png

Cheers,

Troffa

There also appears to be a zap in the centre of the roundel in the lower picture. Can't see what it is, but it may tie in with the cat, possibly?

And what is that just below and behind the canopy? just a 'normal' stencil?

The little zap faireys have been busy!