Mosquito FB Mk.VI, 1/72 Tamiya, FINISHED (yea, lets call it that.. :/ )

I know I tend to over use the word "superb" but this build is looking "SUPERB",the weathering is a work of art,thank god we,ve got the forum

WIP threads to see the work and detail that goes into a build like this!

• Like 1

Thanks steve for your superb comment :D

the progress from tonight - the roundels are faded now, bomb rack is set in bomb bay and painted, might give it quick wash tomorrow. the rocket rails are all painted now and drilled the lightening holes. I decided the rockets ll be loaded only under one wing (thats just to save time, making the rockets wings is so slow work and i cannt waste time on it), rockets for that are completed and painted, tomorrow ll get some weathering. The guards between fuel tanks and rockets are finished now, painted and i have way how to join these to the wing in my mind, ll try to follow the real thingy as much as possible .

no photos tonight i m sorry guys, i have to go sleep as i have to wake up tomorrow very early for work. So more photos tomorrow :)

Oki, i ll take it quickly because theres a lot of stuff to do yet :)

-cockpit doors done all from scratch, painted (the black tiny stuff on the side ll get to the front side of the doors after painting and weathering)

-back fuselage doors done all from scratch, painted

-rocket rails + few rockets painted

-bomb bay doors painted

-bomb rack installed in bomb bay (no photo for this)

-guards painted (ll be between fuel tanks and rockets)

Also, i had a bit of fun with one of bombs ;) It got few layers of paint/salt/paint/salt/paint/salt, speeded up with hairdryer. Ofcourse i forgot to buy chalk and i dont have white pastel at home, so i had to use vallejo acrylic white for the signs, but well... And hope you wont mind one historical error there.. ;)

The bomb ll get the little "propeller" on the tip later from PE set for B-17 ;)

073.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Adrian :) I did some quick weathering, and gave it all matt vallejo varnish.. aaand here we go.. matt finish.. I dont know, it seems i cannt get the awesome looking matt finish like many people around can.. For me it always goes white. And i hate that, i want to keep the colours but dull it down. Now i know with matt finish the colours lose a bit of the brightness, thats ok. But i hate when the surface goes white.. And thats whats happening to me now. On these little parts its not so noticeable, because on the light green the white does not look so bad. But i tried to give matt coat to the mossie (as she is now in full gloss yet) and its terrible...

So, anyone would have any tips for the matt/dull finish? I have vallejo matt, italeri (which should be same as vallejo, just not that much thinned), agama spirit based matt and mr.hobby rattle can matt (that one worked great on the bf 109g i did build for this gb earlier, when sprayed into the airbrush and then on the kit. but now, dont ask me why, it also goes freaking white.... :mental: ), i tried to thinn it down to almost 90% thinner (tried dionised water, vallejo airbrush cleaner), still it does not help.. (when thinned a lot, it ofcourse doesnt go white, but it does not change the surface, till like 8-10 coats are applied and there begins the whitening effect again).. So i dont know what am i doing wrong?

Anyway, here are the weathered parts

074.jpg

• Like 1

They are looking really good. You are right - the white doesn't seem evident on these. I've had Humbrol rattle can Matt varnish create a white patchy effect before but that was because I applied too much in one go. Don't know why your varnishes are doing it if you are only applying very light coats. Strange. Hope you get it sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix.

• Like 1

The problem might be, the surface now got all the future coats before wash/after oils and its realy glossy, so one go with flat doesnt work. I was thinking i could try use satin first, to get some of the shine off and then go on with flat. I ll try this tomorrow. :)

It can be weather-dependent - I think damp is bad for matte varnish?

I had this happen to my Wessex with Tamiya's acrylic matte. I wet-sanded it with 2000 grit paper to remove (most of) the bloom and then applied Testor's Dullcote from a rattle can/. The matting agent collects in the panel lines when you sand but it disappears under the other varnish.

I had some other problems with the Dullcote cracking though.

My current favourite is Alclad's Klear Flat applied through the airbrush. That hasn't gone wrong (yet...)

Will

• Like 1

I did not think about weather, you realy think it can affect the finish too? It was quite rainy yesterday and i m siting all day here with open window.. i did some research at home and found alclad klear flat too, so i ll give it a go on some testing areas. But generaly i think the problem is in my hands, not in the stuff i m using, because others use the same stuff and the finish is just great. I m trying to thinn it enough and use realy thinn layers, but maybe there is something else yet, like air pressure or range (how far from the kit is the airbrush)? I realy dont know, i m kind of learn-by-mystakes at this.. :/

Satin Microscale varnish for the win! This bottle has never failed me, and i think i m going to leave the mossie in satin, not going to risk ugly whitening all around from matt.. have to get matt microscale varnish somewhere, but its always sold out here... Anyway, back to the working bench, no photos right now as i dont want to slow down, but all doors (fuselage, u/c, bomb bay) are painted from outside too and paint faded, now just working on a bit of dirt on it to fit the rest of the airframe.. The only problem i had were exhaust stains, because i tried to make these with tamiya smoke earlier for the first time and i probably thinned it too much and the surface there is sooo glossy and even after the satin varnish doesnt let the black chalk hold on it.. If i did not leave it on soo last minute, it might be better, but i can blame just myself now.. well, back to work

• Like 1

Oki i could not resist, one quick shot before leaving to work (i m already late but could not force myself to leave the mossie earlier... )

075.jpg

to do:

-U/C covers for right U/C

-oil leaks on top of the wing from some of the "cups" there and around engine cowlings a bit + some on spinners (propellers are unmounted now, i m handglng the mossie by the nacels front and back side, to not leave fingerprints around)

-antene wire

-clean the canopy where the paint went under the masks

-paint wires to rockets and add more rockets + wires (if there ll be enough time)

-make pistons for bbay doors

sadly, somehow dust got inside the cockpit, probably later when i had the doors already unmasked.. :(

• Like 2

Well, its finished, but... i should seriously stop experimenting with new stuff on such a long time builds.. Here i was trying the oil leaks at the very end. I found some instructions, mixing oil brown, email black, gloss varnish and white spirit, to make fresh leaks. Should apply that stuff, make rough leaks, leave it be few mins and after some time get rid of excess. I tried one on test subject, worked alright. But probably i left it too long on the mossie or i dont know what, i just could not get it off... so there are leaks like on oil fields... :weep::badmood: Its all because i always overdo something towards the end.. i want to add more and more and more interest and then i totaly screw it over... what to say, i m upset, but only myself to be blamed..

The photos are worst i ever made, my little lamp and spot are simply too little for the mossie. When i get the lamp closer to get enough light there, i wont be able to take shot because the lamp is going to the image. If i move the lamp more away, theres not enough light. I tried to help it with lamp from table, but it has yellow light so it was not better.. I ll try to make some better photos tomorrow over day, but now i had to take some shots for gallery (even though its totaly screwed now with the damn oil fields on wings....)

The framing on canopy looks weird kinda, because i left some lines unpainted as these were not on the framing. I made the construction inside but it still looks weird. Also i tried to make the canopy framing chipped but that does not look best as well.. less is more, i should write this on paper and glue it all over my room...

Also somehow there got dust into the canopy sometimes through the build.. :shutup:

Well, here are the final shots for now, i ll try to make better tomorrow, but it wont make the stupid leaks looks better anyway.. sorry, realy in bad mod because of my stupid overexciting when finishing it..

089.jpg

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Thats the best shots i could make, but still.. even best photos would not make it look better.. :weep:

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 3

Thanks Alex, i m realy frustrated for what have i done with the damned oil leaks.. I should be more patient and learn things by little steps and not trying to jump to the moon at once.. :(

Thanks Alex, i m realy frustrated for what have i done with the damned oil leaks.. I should be more patient and learn things by little steps and not trying to jump to the moon at once.. :(

Patience; the modeller's best friend... or their greatest enemy! Patience nearly always loses the argument.

• Like 1

Don't be to hard for your self.i think that this moosie is in the top 5 of this GB.

cheers

I agree with sdk_uk - a stunning build!! Just been looking at all the details inside and out and, for saying you are still learning, I think you're top of the class!

WELL DONE!

Now have a rest!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I think it's a terrific result - the level of detail in the finish is fantastic and carried through everywhere you look.

I think the pictures are quite atmospheric but if you want softer lighting for big models cloudy daylight is good - you might need a long exposure and a tripod or a beanbag though.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I've got one of these half started, and I can honestly say I just hope it turns out like yours, I really like all the subtle details, the chalk messages on the bomb, the open hatches and the weathering makes it look like a real workhorse, much better than the clean kit you see in the photos on the side of the box. Very well done!

Rich

• Like 1

That looks great. The underside I hadn't really noticed before - it is beautifully weathered.

The oil leaks may sand off. That just saved me tonight when some of my weathering got over-cooked.

Well done for bringing it in on time too!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi Wolwe,

I'm sorry that you feel bad about the finished result, it probably looks worse to you as you know what you intended it to look like; I think you made a great job of it and I would be very happy to turn out a model of such quality.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

On the matt varnish thing again, I was reading some acrylic painting advice (artist-type paintings, but it's similar paint chemistry) and one thing that was advised there was applying matte varnish over a gloss "isolation coat".

The reason being that if you apply it over a semi-gloss or gloss surface the varnish carrier can be apparently drawn into the surface and absorbed, leaving the matting agent on the surface making it look powdery or milky. I think this happened to my ship hull, where I varnished over the weathering agents.

Might be interesting to do an experiment?

Will

• Like 1

Morning guys. At first, big thanks to all of you for your very kind words (way more kind than the finish deserves), it makes me feel a bit better, thanks guys!

It is like Stew says - i had some image in my mind, which i believe i m able to achieve with my limited skills, but i did not.. so thats the disapointment.. Now i need to take day off, or i ll jump to another kit with so much motivation, i would ruin another one.. :)

On the other hand, over all sadness, this is my best full scratchbuild by far, and i hope i learned some lessons while building it. I was quite happy with how it was going, just did some childish mistake at the very end.. but i m pretty sure i would not get to the end if it was not of this GB (i would just go with aftermarket, lazy me) - so big thanks to snapper/Mark and Radleigh for making this GB and even bigger thanks to snapper/Mark and all of you who were looking at this thread, leaving comments, advices or just watched the progress for your support! :)

To Adrian - i ll try what you said tonight, or maybe i could use satin varnish on some parts of the oil leaks (not on all of it), to bring down the shine and colour intensity, to help it blend down (though it should be clearly diferent from all other surface, but as it is now its "a bit" overshot..). The worst thing on all the oil leaks is, it takes the eyes away from all the fading, so all the long hours of work are ruined by one bad step..

To Will - about my photos, i m just taking shots by my phone and have one lamp on the table and one wanabe white paper sheet.. ;) Speaking about atmospheric photos (which was not intended.. :) ), maybe taking night shots could help it.. ;)

- about the matt varnish - i did read something about it yesterday, it seems problem could be in the distance, i was airbrushing it from like 10cm and they say it should be like 20cm, a bit shorter distance when it is warm, a bit longer when it is cold.. what an alchemy O.o
also there was a tip, if the "freezing" effect already happened - leave it cure for 24hr, then apply another coat of matt varnish and use desk lamp or gently hairdryer to dry the model - the heat should reactivate the lower layer of varnish and remove the freezing effect.. i was not trying anything of this, but it is interesting and i guess theres nothing to lose if the freezing already happened

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1