Mosquito FB Mk.VI, 1/72 Tamiya, FINISHED (yea, lets call it that.. :/ )

Your discolouration work is super. That last picture shows it off very well. I like the trompe l'oeil ribbing on the rudder as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the props and spinners on this one :)

• Like 1

Thanks Adrian and Will, i m realy happy for all nice comments (not only from you two ofcourse :) ) .

As for the pin wash, i was aiming mainly to the cowling panel lines (well, honestly, there are not many more anyway :) )

From the other weathering effects, i ll only do some smoke trails and oil leaks - there i m still struggling a bit, it always ends up as dark thick line to me, which is not looking as i would like to.. you know, the oil leaks are somehow dark around the edges and a bit more transparent in middle and it seems i cannt reach this look. I was even trying real old used oil, but as much as it looks dark and dirty in the bottle, if you use just a bit to make the leak in scale, its simply light brown very transparent.. + ofcourse it takes ages to dry. So i ll have to look for some tips how to do it properly.

Well, time to do some work at job.. ;)

• Like 1

Hey again, i m working on the little parts and it ll be quite more work than i expected, mainly the rocketrails needs a bit more than just cut off two rockets and glue it under the rest two rails.. Anyway, all is ok, but i would need a bit of help with the aerial wire guys..

786px_Aircraft_of_the_Royal_Air_Force_19

you can see the NE-D did not have the "rod" (totaly forgot the word how is called the aerial "stick"...), the wire was going straight from the rudder to the fuselage. But i dont know, where it ended in the fuselage? Anyone would have some info? i cannt find any blueprint where this aerial style would be and on the photos ofcourse you cannt see where the wire ends.. :( Did it end where the "rod" was on other mossies? Or was the wire ending on the two little "bumps" you can see on the photo?

Edited by Wolwe82

I have a number of photographs which clearly show the aerial mast central to the fuselage and halfway between the 'band' and the hatch behind the canopy. The lower wire, I'm not so sure about. I have a nice clear photo of two B.IVs in flight from the "Aeroplane" magazine issue winter 2013 which shows the lower wire attaches to the rear left horizontal stab about halfway along. Another shows the aerial wire emerges from the fuse a couple of feet behind the mast and meets lower wire.

• Like 1

Thanks olivier :)

And thanks Jherek, NE-A is diferent plane and i have some drawings with the aerial mast on NE-D, but all photos of NE-D shows it without the mast. And its not so small to be missed on the photos just because of the photo quality :) So my bet is those who were making the side drawings of NE-D simply used common look, when speaking about details :( The wire leading to the horizontal stab is new to me, seems i ll have to do some more research today yet :) Thanks for all the info :)

Haha, thanks Jorgen :) I gave up on the salt, as it looked too much to me (but i do have already plan in my mind where i ll go on salt, salt and salt.. ;) ).
Now i have a bit problems how to paint the strips on spiners.. I did paint it yesterday but it doesnt look alright.. + the tips are a bit off, not exactly in the middle.. If i ll have time towards the end of the build, i ll take new spiners from the other mossie kit and try again.. But realy the problem is painting the strip and tips of spiners.. I did paint it all light grey, then used masking tape strip, but ofcourse the profile of the spiner wont let you to set the masking tape straight, so you need to force it and thts not best to me... the tips i cut circle from masking tape and masked the spiner´s tip, but again, it doesnt look alright to me.. Other idea i had, i could use some tube of right diameter and put the spiner´s tip inside the tube, which would make perfect round mask, but i dont have such a tube :) In worst case i ll leave the spinners just yellow :(

You could wind some tape around a brush handle and use that as a masking tube? Works for me for those yellow rings on bombs, but then they're meant to be rough! If you can roll it up with the sticky on the inside, it might give a better result...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

mm thats interesting idea Adrian, thanks, i ll give it a try :) I noticed i ll have to re-plan my future steps with the mossie. Wanted to complete u/c, rocket packs and do weathering (exhaust stains, oil leaks) at end, but i think i ll have to do the exhausts and oil leaks first, because i would have hard time to get to the sides of nacels over the rockets..

Few bits after painting and weathering, the U/C legs are drying now, so are U/C covers. It all needs matt varnish yet. I tried to do the exhausts like i saw around by some people (stix and more), but i tried to use burnt metal alclad as base (though its a bit "goldy") and drybrushing gently many layers of various shades (matt black, light brown, MM burnt metal which is more like gunmetal, aluminium, dark blue, copper, brass and few mixes of these like brown+black+brass, blue+aluminium+black, ... ). Its not the best, i wanted to make every single exhaust a bit diferent as you can see it on real planes. But it could be a bit darker i guess, but it ll do it for me :)

068.jpg

The wheels got some pigments love, but i have only earth and sand pigments, so i tried to do some layers of various shades mixed from these two. Dont know how much it reflects the northern europe mud.. the tail wheel ll need some pigments yet. Probably the main wheels are too dirty, but it is fixed already..

• Like 3

U/C with some quick weathering, i wanted to add some details, make new parts and so on, but i m running out of time hard, so i ll have to simplify it a bit :( At least i have all the photos i need and next mossie ll get more love all around and not just in cockpit :)

069.jpg

• Like 3

That is very impressive weathering. You always seem to get a very realistic effect. I know you'll be incredibly modest about your work again but it does look good. If you ever feel inclined - it would be good if you made some YouTube clips to show what you do to achieve the look you get. I know I'd find it very useful!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks guys i know i ll repeat myself but i m always happy when others like my work, though i know its honestly average at best :)

Stix you would not want to see my progress :D I dont have the techniques in hand good enough, so often i end up with too much stuff added, so need to remove excess.. then end up with not enough stuff there... sooo, lets add more.. and there the neverending spiral fight begins ;) I can recommend to read few blogs, but i think i mentioned all here already :) Its Jamie Haggo´s blog, Mig Jimmenez´s blog, Paul Budzik´s web page and more :) I m not too busy at work usualy, so i m reading through all these and more blogs to watch how these guys with insane skill are doing their stuff. Ofcourse, my results are nowhere near by them, but it helps me to get better i hope :)

• Like 1

Just catching up with this as I am inspired to possibly build one for the D-Day GB. It really is looking good .

Something I'd like to point out is you have used the red blue B type roundel on the wing tops. And, much as I suspected, RS625 had a C type (with the narrow white ring) as proved in the photo in your post number 203 above. Will you be correcting this?

• Like 1

Hey Paul, honestly, i did not noticed that.. :banghead::fraidnot: O.o i was making camouflage based from reading about it and not on the kit instructions and totaly missed there is another pair of top side roundels O.o Well, the mossie has gloss coat right now yet (i was about to give it matt coat later today), so i guess its the right time for it.. This is embarasing..

Well, thanks for pointing it out :)

:D i dont know guys what are you smoking, but that gotta be some strong stuff... ;) Nono, seriously - i m not that experienced and skilled to make some tutorials :) I dont mind to give some advice from my own experience, but still.. Once i ll feel like i know what i m doing and not just guessing and experimenting, i ll gladly do any kind of tutorials, because that ll mean i m good at something. But so far with all honesty and respect to other modellers, i need to learn a lot before that happens :)

A bit more progress.. working on the armament right now. So, bomb bay doors with some simple construction (a bit simplified, i have just tonight, tomorrow night and saturday afternoon to finish this, so need to hurry up things a bit), filled holes in the bomb using evergreen strips (tamyia moulded the bombs with cut offs for the bomb racks) and gave it surfacer 500 coat for a bit more rough structure. Also i made bomb rack to bomb bay, i did not have photo from real plane of this bomb rack, so i made something similar what i found in some 1/32 build online. Next were the rocket launchers, i drilled some holes to one, it seems these were for leighten the construction a bit. Enhanced a bit the rocket tail, thinking about making the rocket "wings" just from can strips. Also i made the protector from brass (it was protecting the rocket launchers when the fuel tanks were dropped, so it did not accidentaly crash into the rocket packs), but i ll have to make it again i think, this was more like test how the CA works with brass vs lead joints.

Also, the top side of wing has the right roundels now :) THanks once again for the point Paul :)

Fotografie_0003.jpg

And the mossie is finaly standing on her own :) The propellers are just dry fit there for the photo purpose :)

Fotografie_0007.jpg

• Like 6

Yay! Now it's a mossie!

The close-up of the main gear leg you posted is stunning. I hope you take this out to model shows, I suspect it would do rather well.

Will

• Like 1

Thanks guys :) "To do" list is still quite long yet :)

- fade the new roundels on wings

- paint bomb rack for bomb bay, add some details to it and set it in

- create the rocket trails (i broke the tinny drill when i dropped it on the floor and my feet found it first...)

- create the protectors between rockets and extra fuel tanks

- finish the bomb bay doors

- paint u/c doors

- weathering needs to be done to all these new parts

thinking about writing some message on the bombs, like it was sometimes done. Dont know if using very sharpened chalk for it would be looking good in the scale but i think nothing easier than trying it :)

also, when handling the mossie earlier in hands, i accidentaly broke the machine guns barrels. Well, not completely but its not straight anymore.. I did turn it back as much as i could but i dont want to break it, so maybe hot watter could help with it, ll try later when i get home.

I wanted to make the 20mm guns to the bomb bay too, but i wont have time for that so most likely i ll leave the area empty and use just white glue to hold the front bomb bay doors in place, so i can later upgrade it.