Mosquito FB Mk.VI, 1/72 Tamiya, FINISHED (yea, lets call it that.. :/ )

Hey guys, at first, thanks you allowed me to join with another subject (while i couldnt force myself to begin with the kits i wanted to go first..). I bought this kit cheaper from second hand, the guy who sold it to me said it was just wrong planned christmas gift so he was selling it cheap (280,- CZK which is like 9 pounds - damn cannt find the sign, sorry).

I m currently at work, so i m just looking for and gathering photos from walkarounds. I m sure i ll be building FB VI version, as the other option is NF.II and i m sure i wouldnt be able to make not boring black overall coat.. so FB VI it is :)

Why am i starting this thread before i even got to home - well, i would like to ask you guys two things :

1. anyone have photos/links of the bomb bay with cannons installed, which could be used as reference for the part? there are loads of bomb bay photos all around but 99% are just bomber versions or without the cannons.

2. does anyone know some decals for nice noseart mossie 1/72? seems i cannt find any but 1/48,32,24.. :(

As soon as i get home i ll take some shots of sprues and maybe do even a bit of progress tonight

Edited by Wolwe82

i know i promissed some progress already from yesterday night, but there was nothing much to shot yet, i only did few cuts here and there. Mostly i was just planing what ll i change and how. Actualy the cockpit is not bad, given you could see inside only through the top canopy if it would be built OOB. But i want to open all the doors (front, behind wing and bomb bay if i find good images of the cannons. So i need to plan carefuly:)

:)

Well, one question guys, as i have totaly no clue about this - is there any kind of easy-to-do LED/optical fibers lights, small enough for 1/72? i was thinking about it already by my zero, but here i ll want to make the interior as good as i can and behind the cockpit, there are no windows ofc so only way how to get light inside ll be the little doors behind wing.. So i m trying to find way how to bring more light inside and thought i could make something like little "service lamp", hanging there and showing the interior a bit. But as i said, i have no experiences with this kind of stuff and i have no solder and such needed tools, so i m looking realy for something easy to instal. Thanks if anyone has any tips :)

I know i have a little slow start, i didnt have much time last days and was working on my other build, which is going to finish :) But today afternoon i could do a bit of progress on this.

At this moment i m going slowly with this build, because i m trying to compare the cockpit + interior to photos and make some plan how to do it, what ll i need to change and what can stay. So, long storry short, at this moment i completed the fuselage halves (each half has separately made front part), used putty to get rid of the pins inside (and removed the details from cockpit sides, these were too shallow and i want to make it more "3D" :) ) and waiting for this to dry so i can grind it inside and begin to build the interrior. Speaking about the pins inside, thats kinda disapointment to me, there were like 8 pins inside on visible areas.. the dry fit of the kit is awesome, so why they didnt plan the pins better, its beyond me :(

I did also cut out the front doors and the doors behind wing and started to work on seat. Which i left a side and when i came back from food, i simply could not find it.. i swear my table is haunted by some stealing imp! :) So i had to build new seat. Well, the original one was not best shaped but it was good enough. Anyway, here i go.. The bottom side of the seat i made by pulling warmed plastic card over specialy shaped stick. I m sorry i dont know how to say it correctly, i m sure there is word for it, but i dont know that one :(

Anyway its similar how they make vacu parts. Took me few shots to get right shape :)

003.jpg

Then i did cut the top part, used some plastic card as the back side and this is result.

004.jpg

I ll add some side bars to it and more details. So far added only seat belts which i had left from hurricane set, but i have to ask here, if this isnt against the "no aftermarket" rule? Its not exactly aftermarket as you would think, like detail set or so, but its still something i did not made myself, so let me know, if it is wrong, i ll get it off yet :)

(The green seat is just seat from my old hurricane which did not survived 16years of break so i had it in my scrapyard, wanted to use this bottom first but it was too wide)

Have to leave now, ll continue on it later tonight

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 3

So far added only seat belts which i had left from hurricane set, but i have to ask here, if this isnt against the "no aftermarket" rule? Its not exactly aftermarket as you would think, like detail set or so, but its still something i did not made myself, so let me know, if it is wrong, i ll get it off yet :)

The seatbelt is fine because it it was from a left over kit and constitutes spares box.

• Like 1

This looks like it will be a good project. I like your inventiveness with the seat - shame you've got the dreaded table imps - who are feared by modellers second only to the carpet monsters.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

thanks snapper, i m glad i can build this kit in this GB, because if i didnt, i would have spend thousands to all the CMK/aires/eduard aftermarket... So this saves me a lot of money and gives a lot of fun for next pretty few weeks :)

and yup plastix, the carpet monster is second on my "to deal with" list.. :)

...plastix, the carpet monster is second on my "to deal with" list.. :)

"Plastix" - brilliant and very appropriate but giving it a name just makes it seem all the more real.

Having watched your A6M2 I'm very much looking forward to this one.

• Like 2

"Plastix" - brilliant and very appropriate but giving it a name just makes it seem all the more real.

Oi!!!! I am not the dreaded table imp or carpet monster....... I resemble that remark! :winkgrin: .......... although now that you mention it I often find parts that I have no clue where they go or what to do with!

Kind regards,

Stix (THE Plastix)

• Like 1

Hey again guys, as i have finished my main build - zero, i m going full time to this :) Well, full time as far as i have free time. Here are first few shots, i did begin with the cockpit, did few adjustments. Its not going exactly fast, because i m checking a lot of images before i decide next step, trying to make it as close to the original as possible. But for areas where i dont have good images i m using also stuff like the 1/24 airfix mosquito builds around and so on. :)

So, just realy a bit of progress here

Fotografie_0052.jpg

Fotografie_0053.jpg

Fotografie_0054.jpg

and dry fit, how it looks so far when looking from the doors :)

Fotografie_0056.jpg

• Like 3

Hey again guys, i didnt have much time lately, so just a little bit of progress. I m still looking for more images of the FB cockpit. I have quite many photos, but still missing the right front side of cockpit, just next to the instrument panel. Does anyone have any images of the area for FB version? I have for NF or bomber version( as there is the opening to nose :) ), but for FB i have only photos from weird angles so i cannt see there good. I have few images of the sector, but its all from aircrafts in various stage of renovation, so i m not sure how the area should look like. And it ll be just behind the opened doors, so i want to make it somehow close. In worst case, i ll go with photo of some big scale kit..

Anyway, as you can see i m still in the stage of planing and thinking how to do this and this, so i m going slowly. So progress is realy only a bit, some details under seat area (first aid box and some construction), some banding around the stick, improving the pedals slightly and i did paint the instrument panel. At first i wanted to use decal from the kit, cut out the single instruments, set it to the panel and glaze it with drop of klar or so. But the instruments on decal are totaly diferent than the panel instruments.. :) So i was going just with drybrushing few shades of black/dark grey, little bit of aluminium at the very end and painting the instruments inside and around with brush. I know the white pointers are not accurate, realy dont have that tiny brush and that good eye-hand coordination to paint such a small pointers:) So i just did something to not have the big black holes there :)

You may ask why i did the instrument panel now. Well, the thing is, once i get seat and stick to their places, it would be hard to reach the instrument panel.

009.jpg

010.jpg

So if anyone would have image/photo of the are right from the instrument panel, just right behind the doors, it would be awesome if you could share it here :) thanks

• Like 4

Your attention to detail is starting to shine through this build. Looking good. You manage to make 1/72 look much bigger.

Looking forward to more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

thanks plastix :) i m pretty sure it could be way better, not speaking about aftermarket, but as i said, building this mossie as part of this GB saves me tons of money ;)

on diferent note - i cannt find those FB.VI decals i wanted (i wanted czechoslovak postwar FB version, best the one with indian head nose art, but seems like the decals are out of stock literaly everywhere i was lookng for...), so i m thinking about making it NF II instead, but i m worried how could i do the full black surface...

i have to decide this fast or i cannt continue with the cockpit.. might focus on engines and nacelets (huh hope i remember this word right?) with U/C + the interrior behind wing.. and make some fast oob kit for testing the full black camo (seems heller Hurricane IIc is good volunteer and could be even made as part of this GB :) )

Before posting some progress from today, i was thinking about converting the FB VI with 4x20mm guns to the "tse tse" version with 57mm gun, but i cannt find photos or datas, so i m asking here - does anyone know, if the 57mm gun armed mosquito was any diferent in cockpit and bomb bay? I mean, if the fuel tanks were still in bomb bay or had to be unmounted? Thanks for any kind of info :)

Having a flipping great gun in the bomb bay ment there was no room for anything else in there. Have a book on the subject with some interesting photos I can lend you or at least check details in and try to PM pictures from if that helps?

*Edit*

From what I can recall the 'Tse-tse' Mk.XVIII often flew with the wing mounted fuel tanks to increase operating range and the bomb bay door were quite different - the split was off-set and the was a few bulges on them to clear parts of the gun mechanism.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

And the promissed progress from today. I left the cockpit for now, and was making the bomb bay + interior behind the wing. So far i m finished with the core structures in both and ll be adding the details there now, like wiring, instruments, pipes and so on.. Also, you ll be able to see inside only through the door behind wing, so i m making the interior with that on mind, aka i m creating only what you can see once the fuselage halves are completed :)

The same goes for bomb bay - if i ll make the classic FB VI version, i ll keep the front bomb bay door closed (i m sure i could not make good enough guns and ammo belts myself) and only the back pair of bomb bay doors ll be opened. So i ll make just the back bomb bay area detailed, front only as far as you can see in, ll make something looking like the guns, but just the back side. Thats also why the fuel tank is detailed only on the visible area again.

The plan for finish (unless i get realy good data resources for 57mm cannon version) is to have 4x20mm guns (hiden in closed front bomb bay), 2x bombs in back bomb bay and 8x rockets under wings.. full armed, ready to bite! :)

So here is the bit of progress from today afternoon.

011.jpg

The fuel tank (like everything else) is made from evergreens, with some putty to give it some shape. Its actualy after surfacer primer paint, after it is fully dry i ll take sand paper and give it slightly better shape. Here how it fits to the bomb bay

012.jpg

View through the back door, i m pretty sure now i ll make some LED light there,just need to learn how to do so :)

013.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Col., i saw the wing mounted fuel tanks, lucky enough the tamiya kit has these too as spare parts. Would u have some photo/image showing the bomb bay with mounted gun? So i could see it and decide if i m capable making it or not? But honestly the more i look on the fuel tank, the more i feel sorry, thinking i should leave it out .. :)