Been on this one a few months now, but the plan is to create the comicbook heroine Red Sonja from this Solarwind Productions fantasy figure:

carinal.jpg11037519335_ff77cc1488_c.jpg

I used apoxie sculpt and green stuff mixed 50/50 to fashion some gloves, stylize her boots and and provide a base for her armoured loin cloth. I also added about an 1/8" to her waste by cutting her in half. Initially this was done to make it easier to clean up her vest top, but decided stretch her torso a bit since she was sawed in half already.

11632790606_92faf471f7_c.jpg

11632388154_f016664940_c.jpg

11791816383_55ebd127db_o.jpg

... some closeups of the scratch detailing:

11791574665_7c55e77f61_c.jpg

A torn ankle weight provided a source for the tiny metal discs:

11922453683_4dd5ccd7c4_o.jpg

Primed and ready for paint...

11916068804_0cccbef3eb_c.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

I already had good deal of her skin tones done, but due to paint build up and a few specs of dust imbedded in the paint, I ended up stripping her down back to resin. So decided to take the opportunity to try something different next go around by taking a page from the old masters technique - Verdaccio.

http://sockii.squidoo.com/what-is-verdaccio-and-how-to-use-it-in-your-paintings

12417613315_0c9fb6848f_c.jpg

1.) For the sort of pre-shading step, I kept things simple and just used an existing shade of green, Vallejo Olive Grey 70888. After an overall coat, mixed in some white and sprayed mainly from over head angles. Some further white and another round of spraying. Did hand paint some lighter tones on the face, but not too much as it would be covered later with proper flesh tones.

2.) I had been using Brown Sand 70876 as the base skin colour, which is what is seen here. Close inspection though showed specs of dust had been trapped in the paint, so after sanding them off, had to go to step 3.

3.) Mixing new paint, so used a combination of Red Leather 70818 and Green Ochre 70914. Second round of spraying, base colour is lightened with Basic Skintone 70815. This was followed with an even lighter application by mixing in white.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Fabulous stuff, figures are not normally my thing but I can't help but admire the skill that goes into them to achieve realism, especially the painting of the skin tones.

You've done a smashing job there - more please!

Wez

Wez, Jorgen, Daniel, and Billy - thanks guys.

I usually finish between three to five builds during the course of a year, so can't say I'm taking a break from the usual military subjects. It is fun though, and enlightening from the sculpting aspect.

regards,

Jack

Gentlemen, thanks again.

Will Vale, not sure if all ankle weights contain similar contents, but one thing is for sure - I'm set for life with those little bits. I'm not even sure how they were made, as one side is flat, while the obverse has a beveled edge. There's also about five different sizes.

Jorgen - true about the eyes, even at 1/12 scale I still use a cocktail stick to dab in the blacks of the pupils, as well as the white highlight. Since last posting, I've also touched up with a sharp green pencil crayon.

12576580025_92045f6c23_o.jpg

regards,

Jack

edit here, to add a link for an eye tutorial which is pretty useful:

http://www.planetfigure.com/articles/eye_tutorial-mark_benette/eye-tutorial.html

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

rotorheadtx - thanks!

-------------------------------------------------

Red is no longer armless, both appendages are painted, but waiting to further sort out the weaponry before attaching her left arm. Something has gone askew with her stance, and a dry fitting of her holding the staff ends up being on a slant. A quick fix would be to cut the wrist in question and rotate to a better position ... but will see.

12595844383_51e779d9f9_o.jpg

Didn't have any gold metallic paint for her arm bracelets, so tried to achieve some sort of reflective look by using flat paints. Not sure of the success, it is difficult to achieve realism since the model is viewable from all kinds of angles. I do have some metallic powders to try, but will wait and see if the current solution grows on me.

I did have to cut off a section of her hair over her upper left chest. There was no other way to make it look right while adding the metal discs. More green stuff to the rescue, should be an easy fix. So just an arm, three weapons to attach, and it should be done.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Oh she's looking real nice! Great progress. The brown leather tones are wonderful, and the gold arm bracelet looks great in the photo angle at least. I did a similar gold thigh bracelet using BM gold foil once and got away with it, but that's partly hidden under a skirt. But what you have done looks very convincing as I watch the photo.

:goodjob:

That's really interesting seeing a mix of non-metallic metals and traditional metals on the same figure. I think it works!

I really like the skin tones (must try that green shadow trick) and the sultry pout. She reminds me a little bit of Nariko from Heavenly Sword.

Superb, love the boots you created from apoxie sculpt and the extra details added, and as for the eyes, wow!

When I did Sara and her dragon, I ended up cheating with her eyes and using the Archer decals, but they still were not quite right. Skintone work is also excellent. Very impressed!

Col., Jorgen, Will, Sean, and Kallisti, - thanks for those compliments.

After my last posting, things were looking to have this done this past weekend. Not so, little details here and have slowed things down.

12757127745_e99b5425bd_c.jpg

1.) - new dagger made to be more compact. The original scratchbuilt sheath was retained, but it's length was shortened and made narrower. Lead bindings were added to make it appear that it is strapped to her thigh armour.

2.) - sculpted hair over the armoured discs, painted and complete.

3.) - green stuff applied to refine the sharp points on the staff weapon.

4.) - left arm attachment, still ended up with a slight gap. Brushed on three layers of liquid surfacer, some sanding, followed by a coat of paint and more sanding.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

Lovely paintwork and modelling but I don't think Sonja wore green thong-knickers. Or, if she did, they didn't have a visible hip-line, as it were. Other than that, this is truly awesome and I am envious of your painting skills :)

Liam

Edited by yeehah1

Liam, thanks for posting and your thoughts.

She is wearing a green thong because her clear coloured one is in the wash?

All joking aside, you do bring up a valid point. Over the years, comic artists rarely depict any sort of garb underneath her armoured loincloth, but when they do, it appears as a strategically placed patch of leather.

I decided to leave as is from the original sculpt, though did shave off a couple of the trinkets that were slung from it. The green colour was chosen as an opportunity to tie in with her eye colour and the groundwork, which also has some green. In the end though, I don't think it will detract from the classical heroine that we are familiar with.

11501446904_25b7572232_o.jpg

regards,

Jack