Distracted by World of Warplanes

Flying Badger

Harrier GR.3 was progressing nicely then someone showed me an introductory video for World of Warplanes and I've been dogfighting my way around the sky for the last few days.... not good for progress but fun.

For those not sure what I'm on about..... its a free to play online (with a massive download for the front end) game where you fly fighters from the 1920s biplanes up to the first jets of the 1950s (manually aimed weapons only basically) and fight online battles between two randomly assigned teams of similar tech level to you. (so a BF109G isn't up against a RAF bulldog as that would be a bit one sided).

experience points are earnt in each engagement and you use them to research and then buy new aircraft in higher tech levels (although the lower tech levels are still great fun as the fighting style changes with tech level).

Beware though its addictive!

I have to admit I'm not too impressed with WoWP, then again it is still a WiP. Have you tried War Thunder? It's more or less the same, just better thought out I think plus you can "re-spawn" into other aircraft you have earned.

It helps if you are on a premium account as you gain XP and Credits so much faster, it also helps that WoWP is linked to World of Tanks and the premium accounts are linked as is the XP, sadly the credits are not.

look me up sometime, I'm known as "Dazzio_San" on both WoT and WOWP. I'm not very good at WoWP yet tho. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Dazzio me neither - survived a whole engagement earlier in the week and was really pleased

... then got slaughtered in less than a min the next two outings!

Keep trying to pull maneuvers that work in the real thing and in proper flight simulators but they don't in this (snap turns and deadhead stalls/immelmann being the ones I most want to work but that don't)

still it is fun even if the same maps keep coming up too often.

Yeah you get that map problem with WoT, altho it helps you to learn the hidey spots faster ;)

If you wanna do "proper" fighting, then go onto War Thunder and pick Simulation mode, there you only get one plane and it's pretty much a proper flight sim. They sometimes do historic battles too.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Quite enjoyed War Thunder, wasted far too much time in the arcade multiplayer mode.

When they released the 1.37 update just before Christmas my PC threw a fit and will not update/download the game. So now I'm Thunderless...

Tried Warplanes but didn't rate it compared to Thunder, however i don't really miss it.

Edited by mungo1974

Yob,

I have! I fly in x-plane (ver. 10 with photo realistic scenery for when I go vfr)

I even build my own virtual models to fly,but sometimes it's fun to dogfight in a fighter.

:)

Struggling to get my joystick and rudder pedals to play nice in warthunder.

Grr!

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing WoWP for a while when it first launched after open beta and got up as far as Mosquito and Spitfire V in the British tech tree. Was fun especially in the low levels with my Bulldog - think my highest score was 9 kills, but that was against total noobs who insisted on trying to head-on ram me and were easy to dodge. My problem in the game is that the Mosquito isn't fast enough and I got sick of facing down squadrons of Me 410 which are so overpowered its ridiculous!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll never understand the rammers!! I went for a head on the other day in a Do-217Z(I think that's the correct designation) against an FW190... Really? 4 x 20mm cannons, you think that's a good idea? Anyhow I got him but the bugger clipped my wing on purpose. I get the same with the Me-110. I've just got a B-25 too, I've had people just ram me not even trying to shoot me down... I dunno. Wait till you get the latter mk Hurricanes and The Spitfire Mk.II's, so much fun! :D oh my gamer tag in WarThunder is "Dazzio" if anyone wants a flight. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

There are Hurricanes in the game now? That was one of my biggest gripes with the British tech tree - full of prototypes nobody gives a fig about but no Hurricanes!

There are Hurricanes in the game now? That was one of my biggest gripes with the British tech tree - full of prototypes nobody gives a fig about but no Hurricanes!

There is in WarThunder, the Mk.I and the Mk.II... I can't remember if it's an A or B model, all I know it has 12 guns. I will check laters, gotta get the Bulldog done first ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Getting withdrawal symptoms from War Thunder.

Finally got it working again after the December 1.37 update......only for them to update again to 1.39 and my 10 month old Pc threw a s#!? fit again and will not load the update.....not impressed :(

Ahh I thought you were talking about WoWP

Sorry Kallisti, I was talking about WarThunder. Can't remember what's in WoWP anymore... :/

Getting withdrawal symptoms from War Thunder.

Finally got it working again after the December 1.37 update......only for them to update again to 1.39 and my 10 month old Pc threw a s#!? fit again and will not load the update.....not impressed :(

If I remember correctly, the update is about 4GB. You might as well completely remove the install you have and start a fresh one. It should nuke that bug, unless there is an underlying problem with your rig?? Or search the forums for help??

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...

They've now updated to 1.41 and included ground forces open beta!

Great fun bashing tanks around last night!

I downloaded that last night, I've not yet had the chance to actually play it tho. I'm still trying to decide if the way it's been implemented is a good thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have the same number of "slots" for your tank/aircraft. Which means you can use both in a game?? But a lot of my crew are trained for aircraft... What good is G-tolerance to an PzIII driver?? I know it's fast but it ain't that fast!! :/

I will have to have a mess around later on it. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Used to play WOT quite a lot but cant play now as after all the upgrades my laptop just cant cope and its no fun when you are continualy battling a timelag and the the other guy :(