Airfix (new) dH 88 Comet

geedubelyer

Hi guys,

Just perusing the Wonderland models site and they detail a 1/72nd scale dH88 Comet for release during 2014. http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-172-de-havilland-dh88-comet-racer-red/

I'm guessing this is another re-release of the old tool kit but can anyone confirm or deny my guess?

The blurb does suggest that it was created using CAD so I'm optimistic that it is new tool. {~fingers crossed emoticon~}

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks Graham, that's what I suspected but Wonderland do suggest that it has been generated using CAD. I expect that the blurb is a generic type used for all Airfix kits.

Oh well, at least it's Grosvenor House again. I know there were other racers in the line but for me, GH is the epitomy of the Comet.

I may stump up for one but I've read such hideous build reports that I may not. With no cockpit to speak of and a large glass house to peer through some scratch building might be necessary. Not something I'm eager to do in 1/72nd scale.

I'll have to see how the mood grabs me when the kit is released.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

This may provide some inspiration, in several post there is the whole construction from box to model.

He is a very good modeler, but it seems there isn't anything too complicated

http://falkeeinsmodel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/airfix-de-havilland-dh-88-comet.html

Cheers

Paolo

Esoteric it may be but Airfix keep re-issuing the ancient molding because it does sell. Just think of the amount they'd sell if it was a new mold.

I'd put money on there being a new mold already in the pipeline.

From my point of view a new model would be a money maker, the plane shape is not to complex, and can be modelled in not a lot of pieces, plus all the colour variations.

I know if they create a new mould I will have difficulty to choose only one colour scheme.

With no cockpit to speak of and a large glass house to peer through some scratch building might be necessary. Not something I'm eager to do in 1/72nd scale.

..unfortunately that's just for starters - just getting the kit parts together (all 23 of 'em) is an achievement in itself IMHO. BTW the canopy is very thick and doesn't fit so I smash-molded a replacement..Overall though I'm happy with it - a fiver (£5) for a 50-year old kit (!!) with no cockpit and no details worthy of the name is probably a bit much though....still a fair bit of modelling 'fun' for your money I suppose and it's nice to have the option in the catalogue. Paolo, thanks for kind comments, the cheque is in the post!

AirfixDH88Cometbetterpics0.jpg

Edited by FalkeEins
  • Like 2