Fujimi 1/72 Mig-21 bis "Black Lynx"

Just about finished my two entries for the Training GB so I thought I would dig this one out of the stash and enter it in the Mig-21 GB.

I shall be doing it just about straight from the box except for using a replacement resin ejection seat from Neomega. Decals from the kit as well for the Finnish option as shown on the box.

Andrew

P2020809_zpse0e45d07.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First update. Under coated and some preshading done, something I don't normally do but thought I would give it a try. The carpet monster has claimed one of the main wheels so I have had to get a set of resin replacements which will fit eventually but were not designed for the Fujimi kit. Not sure if the kit wheels are oversized or the resin replacements are undersized but there is a noticeable difference.

Andrew

P2230833_zps70fbdb33.jpg

• Like 1

Painting now complete and hopefully I will get the decals on later and have it finished sometime during the week.

Painted using Xtracolour and it has had a couple of coats of Johnsons Klear brushed on top ready for the decals. I ignored the colours suggested by Fujimi and instead downloaded a pdf of the Eduard instructions for their Finnish Mig-21 Bis in 1/48th.

Andrew

P3020837_zpse1e26040.jpg

P3020836_zps5f79f05c.jpg

Nearly done now. Just need to paint the small details I added last night such as the pitot tube and give it a coat of matt varnish and some final weathering. And fingers crossed that the canopy masking has worked properly (recent history has not been too good on this).

Did some research on this kit today as I had no idea how accurate it actually is. Turns out the fuselage is about 14 scale inches too long, the tail planes are the wrong shape and the wheels too big :S . Well I inadvertently sorted out the wheel problem when I lost one of the originals and had to replace them with an after market resin set but the other two issues will have to remain uncorrected. If I had done my research earlier I would probably have at least replaced the tail planes with the Quickboost resin replacements and maybe even have shortened the fuselage as well (although this was supposed to just be a quick build). But never mind this has been an enjoyable build of a kit I have had in the stash for 20+ years and as I have no more Mig-21's in the stash to do it will not have to sit next to anything that shows up the inaccuracies (although I do fancy doing a two seater at some stage).

Andrew

P3060743_zpsba5cf977.jpg

P3060744_zps516ac7e4.jpg

• Like 1

You could still replace the tails if you think it is noticable. I dont think anybody would put your model across a blueprint, but be carefull for mig-21 formations :P

Now finished. A couple of pictures below and I will post others in the finished builds thread.

Andrew

P3092555_zps394c65cc.jpg

P3092552_zpsc1c1e6eb.jpg

• Like 2