Italeri T45 Goshawk

Hi all, seems to be a lot of Hawks in the Training GB so I thought i'd put this one in here. Its the Italeri Goshawk and cost just over £3 on ebay although it looks like i was ripped off as the original sticker shows.

191E5B3A-D48C-4EE5-9C6C-3FA1EB4EFFE2_zps

Anyway onto the kit, here is the plastic, looks fairly nice and i'm hoping to get it together fairly quick. I am hoping to join the airbrush side of the hobby soon and this will be one of my first practice builds, so put together fast straight out the box so i have a few to play with when the new toy arrives.

C2AB1E2F-C8D7-4203-B438-13A3241CD16C_zps

More to follow shortly, expecting some quick progress then a lull until painting begins.

Cheers

Graham

P.S once the painting starts feel free to fire away with airbrushing tips and tricks, i'm hoping ot have four or five models ready to paint so i can have a really good practice rather than doing one and waiting for the next to try again.... which may mean some Spitfires and a car heading this way too.

• Like 2

Good choice and also one I have never built. :welcome: to the GB and :welcome: to the world of airbrushing. Once you get your head round it it will open up your world. It really makes a difference. Looking forward to seeing your build.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask us or the forum. :bristow:

£3.00, I don't think you were ripped off, the T-45 is sought after and not that easy to come by! I don't think it's quite 100% accurate in certain areas, but certainly looks the part.

Should look striking in the orange/white scheme, which will hopefully lend itself well to airbrushing. Good luck.

:speak_cool:

Edited by chockhead

• 3 weeks later...

The three pound comment was tongue in cheek, it was a bargain and I have always liked the goshawk variant of the hawk trainer. Some more progress...

74E19D60-8DCB-4594-9C38-BEF0D0CCDEE2_zps

DC00ED40-90FD-414E-895E-F8C5252F8EE3_zps

A few fit issues but nothing a bit of filing and some filler couldn't sort, next up is the canopy then hopefully some primer before the weekend is out and while the sun is shining.

Cheers

Graham

• Like 5

disaster struck with the canopy, not a great fit as you will see, it has been removed and refitted although some filler was required but a much neater solution, hopefully the next post on here will have it all sanded and primed ready for some paint

40513A72-BC8A-4039-A6CC-E4F54FE52093_zps

cheers

Graham

• Like 1

Looking nice :) Hope you can overcome your canopy problem as this will be great :thumbsup2:

A kit I had once, sold and wish I hadn't. Are you leaving the wings and tailplanes as they are? A simple squaring of the tips of both would give a more appropriate appearance

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/e35-0004-26.jpg

I do wonder why Italeri went to the expense and bother of a new fuselage and undercarriage but didn't do the wings :mental:

Cheers Chris, i see what you mean off the top of your head can you remember if you can simply sand back the wing and tail as is to square off or does it need new plastic added to the round leading edge (hope that makes sense)..... off to get the little jet and have a look at some piccies.....

Had a look and it looks like the Goshawk and the Hawk had same wingspan, i am planning a little scratchbuilding tonight so i'll see if i can make some leading edges to square them off should be fairly straight forward

Graham

P.S this was supposed to be a quick build, does such a thing exist

P.P.S it does look great in the red and white

I've never done it myself, but if it was me, I would add plasticard to the tips to square them off rather than shorten the wing by removing the curve. It might look weirder then with stubby wings

I sold mine, unbuilt, in haste and wish I hadn't now.

It still looks good with or without the mod and it's your kit so do it your way :thumbsup:

A quick read of this shows the squared off tips were a post prototype mod along with a more powerful engine among others

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/aircraft/types/boeing-bae-systems-t-45-goshawk.htm

I'm guessing then that the Italeri is based on the first 2 prototypes with a standard Hawk wing. You can always model one of those and avoid any mods :thumbsup:

Cheers

Chris

Cheers for the article Chris (yet another example of a great British design improved upon by the US). Fished out the decals and luckily mine are for jet 162787, the first development jet (162788 being the second one). Fortunately I didn't do any modelling last night so the wings will stay as is and this will be the development one.... Means I'll have to get another one to do a production one sometime in the future..oh well looking forward to making some swift progress now over the next couple of days. I was going to save it for airbrushing practice but I have white red and black aerosol to use up so seems a shame not to press on with this one.

Cheers again Chris

• 1 month later...

Well this one stalled mainly due to those decals, I left them in the back of a picture in the conservatory to get rid of the yellowing, which was working brilliantly until the picture was cleaned and wet fingers took the decals out as "they shouldn't be here" and then they headed for the bin. Next day I get told that while at work some stickers were ruined and thrown out, had a look in the bin bag and sure enough, screwed up and wet. After 10 mins salvaged a lot of them but still not useable.

Now I have decal paper, a quality scan of the originals and the original backing sheet for size, I will attempt to remake them and see how it pans out, watch this space

Cheers

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Well some progress, here are the decals

2AB075F1-5E6C-4177-A0CB-3151464708F0_zps

And after a lot of water, micro set and sol they are brought back to life (with a few additions from another NAVY bird, an intruder)

C5E1DD5D-D0F7-4563-BDB1-CBC05447D058_zps

0314B8C6-A5E8-4A59-AE39-4D37F6EDC43D_zps

94267814-EFAE-4066-8FC8-EFB115F820D6_zps

So from a disaster it seems it may even be on course to complete for the GB end date.

Cheers

Graham

• Like 3