sdk reports for duty :) my first GB - FINISHED

Ok so today I have star work on my me109.I cut some part out from the spures and sand them a bit

DSC_0418_zps5b63f1a6.jpg

After that I paint the fuselage halfs plus interior

DSC_0419_zpscce037d9.jpg

I have mix the paint coz I don't have RLM02 and tis is under 10 build so I cant afford to buy a paint ;).In real live this colour is not so dark

I also paint the propeller.Airfix want to paint it black

:)

but I have paint it to RLM70 I think that's better.

I have notice that in this kit airfix make a nice engine mould in my build I want to leave that opened so I will put some wires and scratch part.

DSC_0424_zps80ca6339.jpg

an now I have a question I want to cut that part along the lines

DSC_0421_zpsda61a454.jpg

to make the bonnet? opened is it correct? and what should I use to cut this straight? I will also drill the mg holes and replace them wit a wire or something.I am planning to do something like that

me109-early-42_zps5113d9b7.jpg

or if I brake that part to do something like that

Me109-WFrt39-40_zps1f307f67.jpg

So wish me luck :)

Looking great so far. I would possibly place the cowling (bonnet) on a small lump of bluetak on the inside to help give it rigidity while cutting and will also hold it in place. cutting on the other hand. hmmm. Maybe a small gauge saw if you have one. You don't want it to remove too much material so the cowling panels look too small. Otherwise a new scalpel blade making repeated scoring until it goes all the way through. Not the best method because of the straight lines wanted. Possibly mask up so you have a line to follow if you choose this method. Hopefully someone else will pipe up with a good easy way of doing things.

Also consumables like paint & glue etc have no meaning to the under a tenner rule. That is just for the price of the kit.

• Like 1

Hi sdk_uk. This is coming along well. Very impressed with your ideas for the cowling - I would never have thought to do that - may even try it with mine when I get around to making it. I've never done anything like it but you can get something called a razor saw which has a fine blade - others on here may have better suggestions though. Revell do a razor saw - just done a check online.

Kind regards,

Stix

Pawel, AFAIK the cowling of the 109 Emil was not hinged, but lifted off just as the part is provided by Airfix.

Just as is shown on your lower picture. Only with the Friedrich was the folding cowl introduced.

Edited by Hotel Papa
  • Like 2

^ As Hotel Papa said Pawel, you don't need to cut the cowling down the centre line, on the E model the upper cowling panel was one piece, the same as the kit part - if you are removing it though you will need to drill the guns out, so make sure you want to do all that before you start :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi All I'am glad that someone visiting this wip :) thanks all. Ok I've done some work today I add a fuel lead and close the fuselage

DSC_0444_zps9bef09e9.jpg

plus I have glued wings and try the fitting.All fit very tide but I have another question. Does the angle between the fuselage and wing is ok or they are to flat?

DSC_0448_zps530300e5.jpg

Cheers

Pawel

• Like 1

Hi Pawel,

They look a little flat to me... I have read of others having the same problem although I didn't have it when I built one.

Actually the port wing doesn't look too bad, but the starboard is not sitting at the same angle - you might try sanding a little of the starboard wing topside?

Here's a picture with a frontal view, only Wiki but it looks a reasonable drawing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bf109E_3Seiten_neu.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

All looking smart so far! Keep it up Pawel.