1/48 - Westland Wessex HAS.1 (new variant) by Italeri - released

Homebee

Thanks Andrew : http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955042-italeri-2014/

After the Wessex HAS.3 (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940477-148-westland-wessex-has3-by-italeri-released/page-1) Italeri is to release in 2014 a 1/48th Westland Wessex HAS.1 kit - ref.2744.

Source: http://www.italeri.com/imgup/Preview%202014_LR(1).pdf

HAS1_zpseee44556.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

OOOER! I've just bought the HU Mk.5 and HAS Mk.3, the latter for conversion to an HAS Mk.1...this is simply great news if the rumour is true. The reason for a HAS Mk.1 is that my father was a leading chief on 815 NAS in 1962 when the squadron won the Boyd Trophy. When I post the finished product I'd like to use it as an article piece as there's a lot of personal information to add which many may not know. Thanks for the heads up.

PS I've just seen the catalogue...whoopee! Now come on Italeri...I'm hoping against hope as I don't want to hand paint the Squadron Crest and Guiness Harp.

Edited by Nobby57

Good news re the HAS Mk1 as there are many subtle differences between the noses.different intake and exhausts. Lets hope Italeri don't just stick Mk decals in a HAS 3 box!

Colin

Good news re the HAS Mk1 as there are many subtle differences between the noses.different intake and exhausts. Lets hope Italeri don't just stick Mk decals in a HAS 3 box!

Colin

Thank you, I thought so and knowing a bit of your kudos Colin, I'm all ears.

But this can wait for a specific thread. However, looking at the HAS Mk.1 at Duxford (XS 863) I suspect will not give a completely accurate airframe reference for my build. Firstly, her history states she joined 815 in 1965. Secondly, the paint isn't quite right (I have some original paint chips, or should I say spillages on a general airframe drawing which dates to 1962.) I also have original photos of the commissioning and the squadron's tour of the Far East in 1962...I'll keep quiet for the time being; don't want to mess anything up.

Edited by Nobby57

Hi Nobby, I saw the one at Duxford back in Novemeber, I used it to take reference pics (you can never have too many). However I didn't look too closely at it's pedegree.

Maybe I should look at my pics again. The major differences are the AVPIN stater unit on the stbd nose and then the two engine starter bottles in the nose intake, then obviously the underside fuel pipe ducting and dipping SONAR hole.

I made master and sent them to Ali at A2Zee for the conversion I built late last year in the Helo II GB.

Colin

Colin, thank you for your response. As I said when it comes to people like you I'm all ears and the greatest of respect...I'm still feeling my way here and really want to get to know you guys.

In no way am I discrediting the restoration of XS863 for I too have collected every possible photo of her that I can find on the net. Your observations are eagerly awaited by me...and don't be put off...I am merely a student.

Great to note your work too. :) Ali is definitely going to get some custom from me as well this year. If only he can convince Italeri to bring out more Chickasaws there's a whole pile of Whirlwinds I'd like to add to the collection.

Cheers Colin,

Nobby57

Colin, thank you for your response. As I said when it comes to people like you I'm all ears and the greatest of respect...I'm still feeling my way here and really want to get to know you guys.

In no way am I discrediting the restoration of XS863 for I too have collected every possible photo of her that I can find on the net. Your observations are eagerly awaited by me...and don't be put off...I am merely a student.

Great to note your work too. :) Ali is definitely going to get some custom from me as well this year. If only he can convince Italeri to bring out more Chickasaws there's a whole pile of Whirlwinds I'd like to add to the collection.

Cheers Colin,

Nobby57

Only glad to be of help, as and where I can. If my notes and comments can help someone form potentailly ruining a kit then I'm glad to be of help. Having worked on the 5's for a number of years and been around the 1's and 3's as well, I have a good feeling for the trio. The sad part is I sat in a hanger full of all three types for almost a year and didn't take one bit of reference or photos. How sad is that? The RAF types are little bit of a mystery but not too different that you can't work it out.

I'm surprised Italeri didn't make more of the Chickasaw kits, the kit had way more potential than Italeri ever reaslised. It's a good kit and could have easily been up scale to 48th!!!! It could have been another winner especially over in the states, where 48th rules.

Colin

I'm glad for this conversation Colin...It's refreshing to experience the willingness of people who deal honestly in sharing their passion and as far as the general aeronautical fraternity is concerned...I'm actually gobsmacked that other parts of the internet world can't take note!

But on to Italeri...I know it would help people like Ali to increase turnover...perhaps he's thought of a strategy to overcome production stoppages like this, but A2Zee I'm sure will duck and dive until they are even greater than they are now. (I'm counting on it...I haven't got round to that area of purchase yet and I have 6 Gannets lined up too. All Revell I'm glad to state.)

As to a quarter scale Chickasaw/Whirlwind...yep, Italeri are missing out there in a big way I feel. But Airfix, and anyone can shoot me down on this, is in a prime position to re-release their 1/72nd Whirlwind as a new tool...maybe the risk of Italeri pulling one out of the hat and producing more is a worry. If so, with the renewed vigour and quality of Airfix, I think they should drop their rendition...it's so long in the tooth and can only harm youngster's impressions of the brand. Brand loyalty does count in my opinion.

But as to the 'imminent' release of a HAS Mk.1...I can do a County Class flight deck now and save the HAS Mk.3 for that.

Edited by Nobby57

Hello sniperUK, I haven't even opened my HU Mk.5 to take a look yet, so I can't comment but I have noted that the white of many kit roundels for example allow the base colour of the aircraft to leech through. The thickness of the decals has obviously something to do with it, I could be wrong. But that's one potential error I'll take care in avoiding; it really mars what are excellent finished models in my opinion.

As an HAS Mk.1 is at the top of my project list (see my first post in thread), whatever happens, this should be fun...I wouldn't mind doing a blue and white Mk.30 but that'll be in 1/72nd.

Hello sniperUK, I haven't even opened my HU Mk.5 to take a look yet, so I can't comment but I have noted that the white of many kit roundels for example allow the base colour of the aircraft to leech through. The thickness of the decals has obviously something to do with it, I could be wrong. But that's one potential error I'll take care in avoiding; it really mars what are excellent finished models in my opinion.

As an HAS Mk.1 is at the top of my project list (see my first post in thread), whatever happens, this should be fun...I wouldn't mind doing a blue and white Mk.30 but that'll be in 1/72nd.

A lt of the decals in the HU.5 kit are the wrong size either too big or too small , I ended up using Sea King decals to at least getting some of them right. I hope this one comes with 819 markings from Eglinton in the early 60s, especially with the red hand on the tail.

A lt of the decals in the HU.5 kit are the wrong size either too big or too small , I ended up using Sea King decals to at least getting some of them right. I hope this one comes with 819 markings from Eglinton in the early 60s, especially with the red hand on the tail.

Someone else was talking about size too! (No I'm being serious) I hope you get your wish sniperUK...if you can't get enough Buccaneers, then Wessies will have to do. That is seeing that we are being served some right royal platefulls at the moment, and Airfix have still to make a decent 'brick'. I've noted your comment and when I do an Albion/Bulwark 'Junglie' I'll remember your warning.

Nobby57

Any chance of them for the walkaround section? :whistle:

Hi Julien, The airframe is on Prime portal, and for some reason it is duplicated.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin4/wessex_has1_xs863/

When I've sorted out a camera I'll be going up to do a detailed shoot. Duxford isn't that far away for me if I just hop on to the M25 and up the A11...if I remember correctly.

• 5 months later...

I have been keenly waiting for the final Italeri Wessex. The HAS1 was annouced last year but so far nothing. It has also disappeared from thier website. Does anyone out there know what happened?

• 3 months later...

'At last' he says hopefully, but would prefer a dedicated sub-hunter instead of a Junglie... :hmmm: