1/48 Horten 229B with FuG240 Berlin Radar

trickyrich

ok I see this place has gotten a bit quiet over the xmas break.

While I have been busy at work.......the old brain has been ticking over on other projects.

Arnold got one idea in motion when he showed his He-577, part Ho-229 and part He-177, which I must say looks awesome. :thumbsup:

That was to use the Ho-229 as a basis for something. Then I saw this model on the Hellenic modeler’s web site Ho-229B I knew I had to build one similar.

So a quick trip to evilbay and I now own a Dragon 1/48 Horten 229B and a Quick Boost FuG-240 Berlin long version nose!

Thinking about this the FuG240 was to logical choice for this aircraft if they were to have built the night fighter. The FuG218 which this model was depicted to have would have been by this stage of the war obsolete along with the FuG220’s, plus they were known to really add extra drag to an aircraft. The new centimeter radars were in radomes, and by this stage the FuG240 & 244 radars would have become standard, they were more powerful and less susceptible to countermeasures.

So the plan is to mate these two pieces together and make a state of the art (well in 46 anyway) nightfighter. I think Arnold has already started a similar project. I’m going for the longer nose version of the radome as this I think suits my plans better, plus it would allow the extra space in the front for the radar bits. :D

Not having seen all the bits yet I suspect the cross section of the Radome is quite large and will require some major surgery to fit nicely to the nose of the 229. Plus there will be some noticeable changes to the underside with the fairing in of the new nose section. This will allow me to then to modify the nose gear to a smaller nose wheel plus I think I will have to change the way the whole thing fits.

I was never a fan of the very nose up attitude of this plane. The prototype used a wheel from the He177 for the nose wheel, this seems to have probably been a quick fix for the initial trials of the prototypes. I have the book on the Horten brother so now I’ll have to read it for more info.

This won’t be a quick project even though the modifications aren’t that great. The time will be from trying to fit this in with other stuff, though I’ll probably play with this project in between other projects to clear the cobwebs. Only one major GB project this year, the “Splinter” MiG-21, plus two others that will be straight “out of the box”.

So I’ll probably add a bit to this thread before I start cutting plastic/resin, if I can I’ll try to do a mockup for this as well.

Oh and I have the TSR2 and Tornado, grafting the Tornado nose on to the TSR2 will be interesting!!! There is some major re-profiling required, the TSR2 has a deeper fuselage while the Tornado is wider……..but that's for much later in the year.

• Like 2

Hi Arniec

Looking at your offering in the other thread I don't think you'll have to think too hard!! That's a very nice bit of work which looks perfectly reasonable....

Rich I've been looking at the same for a 1/48th TSR2 and I may be possible to cut the Tornado sides off centre so that they can be fitted at 90 degrees to the intended alignment leaving a reasonable but not mammoth fairing in job. As soon as I've moved and got sorted I'll be starting one on a low burn as I clear the shelf of doom (currently two large storage boxes of Doom). I'm going for the bubble canopy operational trainer version to make it even more different.

So many ideas so little time. I need to think of something else to do with my Ho229B now. I had the same cunning plan as you......Great minds think alike.

• Like 2

mmm the TSR2/Tornado project will require quite a bit of work........but thats for later at the moment.

As for your 229, a couple of ideas off the top of my crazy head!

- High altitude fighter with extended wingtips

- ground attack/strike,

- an Mistel version, the two seater on top of a single seater modified with and explosive warhead in the nose

or go extreme and move the engines out a bit an Turbo-Prop it!!!!

or just thinking....build a 4 engine version!!!

will take a bit more work but would look awesome....

take the wings off the 229B just outsdie the engines, then the wings and engines of the single seat 229. Graft said wings & engines onto 229B body & engines, the body will need to be extended so insert a plug into the lower section (give correct rear profile) and extend rear of top section.

You could even then make it a three man crew with a powered turret in the back of the crew compartment. Plus room for a bomb bay!

A high speed medium bomber to replace Ju88/188/388's!

If you scale the horten wing down to 1/72 and remove the engines and make some new 4,6 or 8 in 1/72 (sparebox) with a new glaze nose and you have a "Amerika" bomber.

Cheers,

Hi Arniec I'm going to be doing something similar with the E.555 but with a twist. In US service as my original idea for What Iff III.

Hi Rich Thinking about the stealthy characteristics of the original and your strike/interdiction idea with a dash of Mistel I'm thinking either Wild Weasel or a drone carrier a lá SR-71. Need to get the grey cells running....

• Like 1

Hi Arniec I'm going to be doing something similar with the E.555 but with a twist. In US service as my original idea for What Iff III.

Hi Rich Thinking about the stealthy characteristics of the original and your strike/interdiction idea with a dash of Mistel I'm thinking either Wild Weasel or a drone carrier a lá SR-71. Need to get the grey cells running....

I like your idea, E.555 wings and engines and fuselage maybe B-26 sized up to B-29?

the drone could also be a flying wing? It could be a based on/captured Ho229 or maybe the Northrop XP-79??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_XP-79

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had forgotten I'd started this thread, well all the bits have finally arrived. Well they've arrived while I am away so I haven't seen them yet.....but my wife has! :whistle:

I'm about to start 5 weeks holiday so I plan to get quite a bit done on this......will be next off the blocks after Splinter Mig21 and He177Z. May do bits a pieces to fill in time between these builds.

Have found an amazing camouflage scheme for it, totally Whiff but looks awesome, will try and post picture.

I mentioned about the nose gear and changing it.......will have to see, may end up being more trouble than it’s worth, final decision will be made once I have plastic in hand.

Not sure if I'll use the missiles that come with the model, will though have Model Master Gun barrels, plus extra gun pods and maybe drop tanks? Will investigate.

• Like 1

and only one person noticed my mistake spelling mistake.......ok there were probably more but this was unforgivable.....

Horten.........not Horton as I had typed! :doh:

I can't blame spell-check for that one!! :banghead:

Trickyrich you are an evil man :fuhrer:

Having planned the first E.555 your suggestions have been festering in my tiny mind and I've ordered a Horton and another E.555. I thought I'd given up on 72nd!!!!

I thought seriously about a B-29 equivalent but have compromised. With my moving date now less than a week away I'm hoping to get some moggel making done soon...

EDIT: I've just noticed your location. I thought members of the Former American Colonies were meant to be very serious and not approve of What iffery???

Edited by SleeperService

EDIT: I've just noticed your location. I thought members of the Former American Colonies were meant to be very serious and not approve of What iffery???

arrrrr you sure you got my location right??? :hmmm:

Have found an amazing camouflage scheme for it, totally Whiff but looks awesome, will try and post picture.

That would be cool! I've been trying to hatch one of these for ages, but can't decide on a worthwhile scheme.

ok I have finally re-found the photos......managed to lose them...then took 20 minutes to find them of the web!

The original aircraft as you can see is a Gotha P60 (got one on those, just need to finish) and requires lots of masking which is always fun......but the results!

This is the perfect finish for my beast.

These are from a Spanish (?) model web site and I hope the nice gentleman or lady doesn't mind me pinching their idea.

DSC01075_zps6ed526fe.jpg

a variation of this scheme may appear on the He-177Z!

• Like 1

That's a rather dazzling scheme Rich :hypnotised: Going to need a couple rolls of masking tape to cover the 177Z!

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape after the 177Z.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

arrrrr you sure you got my location right??? :hmmm:

Oops :boom: Please accept my most sincere apologies :bangin: The crest, boomerang and F-111 markings would have been enough for most people but I'm special..my mummy told me I was :clown:

That camouflage scheme is amazing! I am suitably impressed. Still waiting to move and getting rather wound up....