Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11

Phil1503

I have had a bit of a break from modelling, but thought It was time to have a go at another kit; I have two kits that I bought last year but haven't found time to start yet. This time, I will be building the De Havilland Vampire T.11 from Airfix:

o3zm.jpg

I have read good things about this kit, and seen some great results on forums so far. I'm looking forward to building it.

The kit has 3 main sprues and a clear sprue:

yg5c.jpg

The instructions and decal sheet:

h2j0.JPG

As with my other builds, I will be doing things by hand, all brush-painted and finished manually. I will be making the kit in the Vampire Preservation Group colours; the yellow training scheme as on the box artwork. Such a great-looking aircraft, I hope I can see it someday at an airshow.

OK, on with the build...first stage is the cockpit...

I will keep my eye on your build as I have one of these to build, it's going to be 2 or 3 weeks before I get started but like you I will be painting with the good old fasioned Mk1 paint brush.

I was thinking of going down the road of using albion alloys polishing powders, but thinking about it these are going to give a very bright finish a finish that to be honest wouldnt look out of place on a EE lightning.

The only other thing now is I'm thinking of buying a second kit so that once I get started I can build both and do both paint finishes.

For what it's worth, In the 1970s my school cadet force used to have the cockpit and nose of a T.11 as a 'training aid'. It was never touched by anyone to my knowledge and had just been left to fall apart behind a shed :(., I was quite fascinated by this relic as a boy and clearly remember that a) the skin was plywood not metal, and B) it was painted with very unremarkable silver paint!

A quick update on the Vampire...

So far I am painting the primary parts; here are the cockpit parts; instead of painting everything black as per the instructions, I saw that some other modellers of this kit have used a dark grey. I have done the same, and painted the cockpit floor and sides in Humbrol enamel 32 (Dark Grey). I think doing the whole lot in black would be too overpowering. The seats and instrument panel are Humbrol black 33, and the seat cushions are Humbrol 155 (another change from the instructions). I will be making the model without pilots:

d8n1.jpg

The cockpit walls also painted in Humbrol 32, with the seperate trim wheel fixed and painted black 33:

5ccu.jpg

I have also painted other bits on the sprues in Humbrol 56; the undercarriage bays; the air intake trunking, and also the wheel rims:

yr46.jpg

I have been reading about dry-brushing, so I may try some in the cockpit for some added detail. I can't build much more at the moment as I have just ordered some fishing weights to add as nose weight. They should arrive soon; then I can fit the fuselage...

• Like 1

Not much progress on the Vampire this week; I managed to mess up the cockpit decal when trying to put ot on the instrument panel. I have ordered another decal sheet from Airfix, so I am waiting for it to arrive...

In the meantime, my fishing weights arrived, which I will use as nose weight. I bought a selection of weights in a small box, for only £4...very handy for modellers:

j46v.jpg

I have also painted the landing gear and wheels (humbrol 56 and 33). I may have a go at a wash to bring out some of the detail in the hubs and struts:

q3fp.jpg

And I have finished painting the cockpit seats and control columns. The canopy will be closed, so I am not going to do too much here...maybe I will try some dry-brushing to give it some life:

s5iq.jpg

• Like 1

Thought I'd make a start on the twin tail booms. There is a prominent ejector-pin mark on the inside of the tailplane, which is stopping the two halves fitting flush:

bvl0.jpg

A bit of work with the knife and sandpaper cleaned them all up nicely:

umv2.jpg

And then fixed the two halves together:

2p6q.jpg

• Like 1

A few more bits on the Vampire this evening; I have build the under-wing fuel tanks:

kb0j.jpg

And also painted the jet exhaust with Humbrol 53 (I painted it with acrylic as I had a pot, and is the only pary of the model needing that colour):

yrjh.jpg

I should be able to build the main fuselage this weekend...

Edited by Phil1503

Looking very good so far. I've bought a couple of these kits, so watching this thread closely.

Chris

I knew I had a pot of Humbrol 53 enamel somewhere; I found it and painted the jet exhaust with a coat:

pju7.jpg

I have also sanded the external fuel tanks and the tail booms. A vey good fit, so no filler required:

dkzw.jpg

My replacement decals should arrive tomorrow, so I can get on with the fuselage this week...

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 1

My replacement cockpit decal arrived from Airfix today, so I have now been able to construct the cockpit; I may try some dry-brushing to give it some more detail, along with the cockpit sides:

ey8q.jpg

The control panel decal was a bit too large - the carrier-film margin was overlapping the plastic part. I had to tidy it up with the knife afterwards. I will remember to cut the unwanted carrier film off next time I do a cockpit decal. I wish this kit just had a raised-detail control panel instead. Not too bad a result, and not much will be seen through the canopy anyway:

kvs4.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 2

I have tried my first attempt at dry-brushing; I cut down the bristles on an old paintbrush to make the brush more stiff, and dry-brushed with humbrol 11 enamel. Starting with the cockpit walls, to bring out some of the details:

zyt9.jpg

qnp5.jpg

And then the cockpit seats and floor, and the area behind the seats:

eikf.jpg

uj1u.jpg

Very effective, and very easy to do. Another skill in the toolbox!

• Like 2

Some decent progress on the Vampire this evening; I fixed the cockpit stage into one fuselage half, and placed a fishing weight in the nose for balance. The instructions reccommend adding 7g of weight. From my selection of weights, the 8g ball was a perfect fit for the space, and it sat neatly between the locator pins with no need for glue to keep it in place:

euet.jpg

Here are the fuselage halves fixed together:

0nns.jpg

The engine intake trunking then slots into place, no need to glue:

brf6.jpg

Then the intake parts could be fixed to the fuselage sides:

n65a.jpg

Then the upper wing part was fitted, which was a good fit but needed care to line it up with the intakes. Looking like an aircraft now:

y2bh.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 1

This evening I have finished building the main parts of the Vampire; starting with the wing undersides:

995xr.jpg

Then the part that housed the front undercarriage. It fitted absolutely fine, and did not interfere with the nose weight:

slud.jpg

I realided I should have fitted the tail booms before fitting the wing undersides...however I did manage to slot them in place with a bit of persuasion. Rookie error on my part...the tailplane elevator also slotted ino place with a bit of glue:

hoqs.jpg

This is proving to be a tricky little kit, but a bit of work to tidy up the edges and it will hopefully be a great result.

A couple of additions to the Vampire this evening; I have fitted the main undercarriage struts:

ga4t.jpg

And also fitted the outer fins of the tailplane:

vww8.jpg

And also painted the top of the cockpit dashboard with humbrol 32 before I fix the canopy; I should be able to tidy up the overpainted areas with a drop of thinner afterwards:

c40o.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 2