12 Squadron GR4

Well, this one is now finished.

Its the Revell GR1 kit converted to a GR4 using Model Alliance decals to recreate the 12 B Squadron 90th Anniversary Jet from 2005.

The plane was brush painted using a mix of Humbrol and Revell acrylics, with a Flory Dark Dirt wash applied for panel lines, and a Pitts pen used for oil staining on the ecu doors.

Hope you like:

20140205_162119_zpsataixta2.jpg

20140205_161326_zpswbac8ldo.jpg

20140205_161407_zpscxgrhs7i.jpg

20140205_161857_zpso7qopdsm.jpg

20140205_161950_zpstsvmwncv.jpg

20140205_161528_zpsuoegsm7d.jpg

20140205_162042_zpsgyxjdv2a.jpg

• Like 10

Top job, a great scheme too, like the weathering, particularly the rear undersides.

I've built 2 of these kits now, one as the 9 Sqn special and one as the 14 Sqn special, both from the MA sheet, and I've 2 more on the go just now. I've always taken a chunk out of the nose oleo to shorten the nose leg a tad it always seems the nose sits slightly high.

Great build, you planning on another?

Eng

Top job, a great scheme too, like the weathering, particularly the rear undersides.

I've built 2 of these kits now, one as the 9 Sqn special and one as the 14 Sqn special, both from the MA sheet, and I've 2 more on the go just now. I've always taken a chunk out of the nose oleo to shorten the nose leg a tad it always seems the nose sits slightly high.

Great build, you planning on another?

Eng

Thanks for the comments. I did consider doing that with the oleo, but because of some of the other mishaps, decided not to tempt fate.

Am considering doing an XV bird, MacRoberts Reply.

The jet I'm building just now is XV Sqn, ZA469 "Spirit of Speyside" from the Xtradecal sheet X72066.

The problems you've encountered certainly haven't affected the final presentation, she does look foxy!

I've just bought the same decal sheet, this time in 48th scale pending the arrival of the new Revell Tornado.

Eng

• Like 2

I am considering making the Airfix kit now, though obviously need the FLIR that I used for the 12 jet.

I have the decals, as I have the Mark One guide in 1/72 scale. The left over Model Alliance Decals wouldnt be able to make all of the other jets, as I had to cannibalise some of the decals to replace ones which tore or disintegrated on this build.

I actually worked on all of the 90th Anniversary jets at Lossiemouth at one time or another back in 2005/2006 .

I would recommend another Revell Tornado though, you'll see a big difference going "back" to the Airfix kit.

That's bit lucky having worked all the Anniversary jets, I like all the options on the MA sheet apart from the 9 Sqn one which I did as my 1st build but thought was a bit bland. The 14, 31 and 12 ones are the best by far.

I got to sit in the 111 Sqn F-3 special back 2009 as I had a mate on the squadron at the time, had a right good day out!

Eng

Nice Build Matey :) Looks good, apart form your choice of A/C ;) hee hee :P

Well, my weathering skills aren't good enough yet to depict the poorly maintained jets of the other squadrons ;)

Well, my weathering skills aren't good enough yet to depict the poorly maintained jets of the other squadrons ;)

Ha ha, touché!!

Eng

Nice kit, where did you source the FLIR? Also, did you update the cockpit?

The FLIR was from the Airfix kit, and I did a little bit of work on the screens, and with ejection handles.

• Like 1