Too late to join? More Vampires

It's definitely not too late to join. The GB runs until Star Wars Day (May 4th) so there is still plenty of time.

And you can never have too many Vampires!

:welcome: Roland!

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 1

As the peeps have stated; never too late, and never enough vampires!!! Welcome.

Excellent, so here goes

146f65075f5cc88c349eed828c73a189_zps073c

A bit of a repetition of some spruce shots. Oh look. What's that on the left side? It appears to be a second kit! How did that get there?

888d427304093282e0b9e81e7ca9bc59_zpsb6ef

And the decals with the Rhodesian colour scheme that I hope to do.

c5847ad7cd5a3c468c7c9571540bbf57_zps9cd7

And the Chilean colour scheme.

As someone who has a bit of a track record of not completing GBs, am I being a little over ambitious??

• Like 1

With such a blustery day outside curtailing my original plans for today (doing some real aviation) I thought I would try and crack on a bit. Some progress made on kit No 1, but I'm afraid that May be it for today; there's rugby to be watched and beer to be drunk!!

image_zpsb4d85887.jpg

• Like 2

OK. Got a few days off work so I thought I should crack on a bit (probably should be doing stuff in the house or garden but - hey-ho).

So both cockpits coming together nicely (but waiting for some resin bang seats). Really like this kit, and had forgotten how quickly 1/72 kits can go together!

image_zps6a3c56e9.jpg

• Like 3

As someone who has a bit of a track record of not completing GBs, am I being a little over ambitious??

If you are, you're in good company. I have committed to nine builds over 3 GBs all running at the same time. I haven't touched any of them so far this month. Oops.

I rather like that Rhodesian scheme. Which version are you going for? Or will you be doing both now a third kit has appeared?

Andy

Thought I might add a few tips as I go along now that I have a little experience with the Airfix T11 so in order of build:

Cockpit: no real tips for this area from me, but it is worth mentioning that there appears to be a fire extinguisher moulded onto the cockpit floor area, but there is no mention of painting it. Cockpit wiring is nicely moulded on the side walls, so it is worth looking for pictures from t'internet for references on colours etc.

Engine intakes: there is no point in going to town on the intakes and turbine fan as you cannot see much of these once built and you certainly can't see the turbine through the intakes.

Step 9 and 10: show adding the engine intakes before attaching the top wing surface; I have now tried 3 different options (as per instructions; adding intakes after wing tops surface attached; and, adding intakes after both wing surfaces are attached) and am undecided on which is the best option. The first means running the risk of large steps between intake and wing surface that will require sanding/filling & sanding; the last makes slotting the intakes in a little tricky but it can be done. What is important is sanding the components mating surfaces to ensure a good join. It is also worth a little bit of trial fitting of the tops wing surface to ensure that they fit flush with the fuselage; I found a little sanding on the mating surfaces of the fuselage mounting points helped in achieving this.

Step 11: the booms. Firstly be very careful of the pitot tube; it's very fine and very prone to damage. The mating surfaces of the booms have some very pronounced ejector pin marks - particularly around the vertical tail surfaces; these need sanding back before gluing commences or there will be gaps in the leading edges and a significant step that will need sanding down. The elevator does not fit at all well to the vertical tail parts and you will need to fill the ensuing gaps (or try a little bit of sanding prior to attaching the elevator to try and get a better fit).

That's as far as I have got so far, so more tips later. Have to say that this is still a really nice kit and I am really enjoying building it (them). Hope that helps any Vampire builders out there.

PS. Be bloody careful of the aerials on the belly of the aircraft; I'm down to one original of the four that are nicely but delicately moulded by Airfix!!

A little more progress. Following the discussions on various forums I decided to have a go at Runefang Steel to replicate the High Speed Silver finish. I thinned the paint with some screen wash at about 3:1, in hindsight I probably should have thinned at 50:50. It still sprayed quite well though and I think that the colour/finish is pretty good. Despite some comments suggesting that Runefang is too dark I think the finish to be a very good match for HSS

image_zps68d08adb.jpg

A little more progress tonight on the Chilean Vampire. Unfortunately I didn't have any FS25526 so decided to try Xtracrylix RAF Azure Blue; sadly that was too dark. I added a bit if white (actually quite a lot of white) and am now happy with the colour and finish. Picture of #2 with the future Royal Rhodesian Air Force #1:

image_zpsf9877ba9.jpg

For Col, No 3 snuck back into the picture. I'm struggling to decide what to do with #3. Choice for me (as I have decals for them) is between Swedish Air Force; South African AF or RNZAF. I could also do a Rhodesian AF jet or an RAAF jet.

• 1 month later...

Argh! Just realised that Star Wars Day is not the far off and I just haven't been able to crack on with my coven (is that the right noun) of Vampires. Finally remembered to pick up some more bluetac so I have managed to get the second colour on the RhAF jet.

Had a few problems with my airbrush though, the paint was pulsing rather than coming in an even jet. Anyone got any suggestions on the possible problems?

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of tonight's progress:

imagejpg1_zps913ce742.jpg

imagejpg2_zps522ccd3c.jpg

A little more progress tonight on the slightly more camera shy Vampire #3. A lack of dayglo paint has forced a slightly different Air Force selection, so here we are:

image_zpsd0c084f1.jpg

Unfortunately the yellow has not gone on well so these area may require a bit if a sanding and another coat 😞