1/48 Testors Travel Air Mystery Ship +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Build No.2 - the Travel Air Mystery Ship - a much more complicated kit than the Ike. Will need some surface treatment and the paint scheme will be a masking challenge but she is a little peach of a kit. Bought for£4.50 on eBay. Scratch cockpit and seat and some simple rigging.

008_zpsed4cb93c.jpg

009_zps04cb8685.jpg

Look forward to this one and adding to my 30's racers

• Like 2

Thanks Radleigh - never one to turn down a GB! Jockster, pull up a chair - they are not bad kits of their time and have some very esoteric subjects!

Looking forward to your paintjob on this one! Hope the red doesn't bleed through the white "31" decals.

I had the same thoughts - for less than a tenner though...I'll put up with that!

Well while the Ike is settling under some filler...

I started on this little racer. This will be a ground bird, so some detailing to the cockpit is needed. Plastic rod to provide some framing and a throttle quadrant and a electrical junction box - all from my imagination!

001_zps7b5d59ef.jpg

I used a seat from the spares box and fashioned it to fit inside the curved turtle back to the cockpit (I think it's from the Revell Ju-52!). I also took some card and fashioned an IP, these were all sprayed black and then given a spray coat of Alclad Airframe Aluminium

002_zpsd0054fb5.jpg

Some random Airscale decals were applied to the IP - I will add some switches later before fixing in place. No need for loads of them as it was a fairly simple a/c

003_zpsb1807a59.jpg

The quadrant and box were painted black and then a Flory wash applied. I will paint the seat cushion next and apply some tape seat belts. I'm not going to bother with a cockpit floor but I will glue in a rudimentary stick.

004_zps3ace5d3c.jpg

The engine as also sprayed black and the distributor ring was also done and sprayed silver. Thanks for looking!

Cheers Deacon!

I finished detail painting on the seat and IP and CA'd them both into the fuselage. Jammy Dog tape belts were made

002_zpsebaa3c53.jpg

Fuselage closed up and sanding and filling started. Not too much needed as the fit is quite good. The exhausts have been glued into the front of the fuselage - these will be almost invisible anyway

004_zps693b9af6.jpg

The engine front has been painted and glued. The cylinders were sprayed black and fry brushed with GW silver, the collector ring was sprayed black and the Alclad was sprayed. The gear housing was brush painted Lt Compass Grey. It's a tight fit in that cowl

005_zpsc378ced5.jpg

The wings have some large ejector towers on the insides which need removing with a sharp scalpel before sanding the mating edges and then gluing.

006_zpsd59a6cfb.jpg

I got them glued into place once they had set and been sanded. I was a little too vigorous sanding the inside edge of the port wing and had to add a plastic strip spacer as can be seen. Again a light amount of filler and some sanding.

001_zps87bc03cd.jpg

the cowl tacked in place - what a good looking little racer! The cowl will be left off and attached after painting as will the tail planes just for ease of what is going to be a quite complicated masking job. The tail planes are a good fit without filler.

002_zps800c7b97.jpg

The half cutaway canopy was masked and glued in with Gator Glue.

004_zpsbeab8bc7.jpg

Next up are the spatted wheels which have been painted inside. Lastly I will drill the holes for the rigging and then she will go in for a grey primer. I'm still debating which order to do the painting in but I'm pretty much set on red first and then mask for the black

Ta for looking!

• Like 3

Comming along nicely Andy. The Travell Air Mystery ship kit is my favorite of the Testors Racers - probaby be cause it is the "best detailed" one. My build of it is somewhere on ARC...

I really need to get my Lynx done so I can start my S6B and M.C.72

Rene

Comming along nicely Andy. The Travell Air Mystery ship kit is my favorite of the Testors Racers - probaby be cause it is the "best detailed" one. My build of it is somewhere on ARC...

I really need to get my Lynx done so I can start my S6B and M.C.72

Rene

And a very nice job you did too! Astounding! Interesting effort with your rigging :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks - as far as I recall it was a very easy builda and the only bigger problem was casued by using red from a Revell spry can - it took ages to dry :-D

I am going for Signal Red (Humbrol 174) and then I will mask and spray the black.

So she has been primed, the rigging holes drilled out and the wheel and the tailplanes left until after painting to ease masking.

She was sprayed with Humbrol 22 Gloss White which after drying was then sprayed with Humbrol 174 Signal Red

012_zps408a15ec.jpg

I will add a second coat and then start masking for the black! Thanks for looking

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - another update!

Having sprayed the Travel Air Humbrol 174, I decided that this was too 'orange' a red and re-sprayed it Humbrol 60. Hawk/Testors have left marking guides as panel lines all over the a/c which helps in masking and painting.

I tried masking the very thin black stripes but that was a step too far and so chose to mask the scallops to the wings and forward fuselage and then hand paint everything else. Here she is under Tamiya tape masks which have been cut using a sharp scalpel blade

003_zpsadbf21ff.jpg

Humbrol 33 was then sprayed in two thin coats after having burnished the tape edges. Once dried I removed the masking and - OK

004_zps2146e1c4.jpg

005_zpscfc3cec8.jpg

I hand painted the spats and the tail plane scallops using Humbrol 33 and a 000 brush. Tiring work.

006_zpsd50e3745.jpg

I started the thin lines and the fin scallops. This takes a steady hand and regulated breathing!

007_zps56c68ea7.jpg

Anyway another night on it and I should have it done and ready for final assembly. Thanks for looking

• Like 8

Crack-a-lackin!!!!

Thanks for the comments Pete and Mark!

Into the home straight now - the horizontal lines were finally finished using the 000 brush. I'm OK with how they have come out - any slight mistakes were rubbed off with the tip of a cocktail stick and touched up with red. The wheel spats were also CA'd in place and gave me no issues - I'm glad I left them off for painting.

001_zps46a9da32.jpg

002_zpseee96381.jpg

The it was two thin coats of Alclad Gloss Kote and then left to dry thoroughly. The decals were applied. They are very good with no bleed through the white - the only criticism is the excess white glue on the back of them as you place them which means you have to 'press and push' to get the glue out. Other than that - very good!

004_zpsd0a72178.jpg

Onwards with the rigging next and hopefully she will be done. Thanks again for looking

• Like 2

Thanks Jorgen...I don't brush paint much these days but there was no other way to do it and I took inspiration from Rene's (Caerbannog) build...turned out OK