1/48 - Sukhoi Su-30M(K)2 "Flanker-C" (ltd. ed. reboxing) by Academy - released

Homebee

Academy is to re-release its 1/48th two-seats Flanker kit into a limited edition Sukhoi Su-30M(K)2 "Flanker-C" - ref.12301

Source: http://www.academy.co.kr/eng/6q/frmBoardView.asp?pMenuId=BOARD00012&pCode=6690

12301_S-30M2_Flanker_730.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Academy is to re-release its 1/48th two-seats Flanker kit into a limited edition Sukhoi Su-30M(K)2 "Flanker-C" - ref.12301

Source: http://www.academy.co.kr/eng/6q/frmBoardView.asp?pMenuId=BOARD00012&pCode=6690

12301_S-30M2_Flanker_730.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

I think it the same incorrect 27-ub one judging judging from the same incorrect rudder. It costs 40usd. I dont think it's worth buying...

It's sort of half-and-half.

All they did was square off the top of the Su-27UB fin to make a Su-30MKK fin - so it is too short - AND the rudder doesn't extend all the way to the base of the fin as it should..

Su-27UB fin........

fin_su-27ub.jpg

What the Su-30MKK/MK2/M2 fin should look like......

fin_su-35.jpg

Ken

It's high time someone releases a new tool 1/48 Su-27/30 kit. This kit is inaccurate in so many places it's not worth buying it (for me). Apart from the inaccurate nose, rudders and canopy, don't forget that it is also too short in overall length by about 16mm even though it's accurate in wingspan. So the shape is distorted in terms of scale.

If Academy fixed these little issues I think they would have sold bucket loads of this kit. But clearly they didn't.

• 1 year later...

Stalal,

There is no such thing as just an 'MK' - you have to add another letter.

There are two distinct branches of the MK family - those with canards and Thrust Vector Control (TVC) nozzles and those without.

The former are the Su-30MKI (India), MKM (Malaysia) MKA (Algeria) and Su-30SM (Russia) - there are currently no kits of these versions in any scale.

The latter includes the Su-30MKK (China) MK2/MKV for Vietnam, Venezuela, Nigeria etc etc. (the M2 is the Russian version)

They have no TVC and tall, square tipped fins.

There are kits in 1/72 scale (Trumpeter Su-30MKK) and Academy (MKK) - but both have fins that are too short.

So to answer your question - there is, essentiall no external difference between a Su-30M2 and a Su-30MKK.

A couple of my models to illustrate the differences......

Su-30MKK / MKV / M2..... (note the tall square-tipped fins, no canards, no TVC)...

Su-30MKK%20047.JPG

Su-30MKI / MKM / MKA / SM..... (note the canards, shorter, raked fins, TVC nozzles)......

Su-30sm_024.JPG

Ken

• Like 1

Stalal,

There is no such thing as just an 'MK' - you have to add another letter.

There are two distinct branches of the MK family - those with canards and Thrust Vector Control (TVC) nozzles and those without.

The former are the Su-30MKI (India), MKM (Malaysia) MKA (Algeria) and Su-30SM (Russia) - there are currently no kits of these versions in any scale.

The latter includes the Su-30MKK (China) MK2/MKV for Vietnam, Venezuela, Nigeria etc etc. (the M2 is the Russian version)

They have no TVC and tall, square tipped fins.

There are kits in 1/72 scale (Trumpeter Su-30MKK) and Academy (MKK) - but both have fins that are too short.

So to answer your question - there is, essentiall no external difference between a Su-30M2 and a Su-30MKK.

A couple of my models to illustrate the differences......

Su-30MKK / MKV / M2..... (note the tall square-tipped fins, no canards, no TVC)...

Su-30MKK%20047.JPG

Su-30MKI / MKM / MKA / SM..... (note the canards, shorter, raked fins, TVC nozzles)......

Su-30sm_024.JPG

Ken

So out of the box, Academy kit does not have TVC nozzles. I can see it does not have canards.

Begemot has fantastic Su-27 family decals which cover a lot of Su-30 versions. If I want to build M2, does the kit represent that version correctly? Will I still need after market TVC nozzles for it?

Stalal.......

The Academy kit represents a Su-30M2 - see the first post in this thread.

No canards, no TVC nozzles - you can build an M2 straight from the box .

But with the proviso that the fins are slightly too short to be 100% correct.

Ken

PS - Here's the real thing at MAKS.....

day1_020.JPG

Edited by Flankerman