Westland Whirlwind HAR 10 converted from Airfix 1/72 scale kit!

Hi all,

I recently picked up a job lot of four unboxed Airfix Whirlwinds for a tenner (bargain!), I sold a couple and thought i'd attempt a MK10 conversion with one of the others. I picked up an Airwaves MK10 nose on ebay and set about chopping the kit up to see if it would fit!

I only attempted the most obvious changes ie the nose and the bent tailboom, and slightly enlarged tail fin.

Anyway, sort of HAR10 of 22 Squadron RAF Chivenor 1970's

Short WIP here to see how it happened and this is how it turned out...

whirlwind-8.jpg

whirlwind-9.jpg

whirlwind-11.jpg

whirlwind-12.jpg

And here she is with a HAR2 of 22 Squadron Chivenor 1950's

whirlwind-10.jpg

Cheers

Simon

PS: accuracy issues have been raised and dealt with in an adult manner the WIP thread, thanks to Colin (Heloman) and others for their input!!!

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 5

Gosh how have I missed this one in WIP???!!!! Looks very nice Simon and very creative use of the old Airfix kit!

I've got two Italeri's in the stash but i want to build a yellow HAR10 like yours, a black/ orange HMS Protector ships flight and a blue/ day-glo HAS9 and I can't work out which one to start first!!

Pat

• Like 1

Gosh how have I missed this one in WIP???!!!! Looks very nice Simon and very creative use of the old Airfix kit!

I've got two Italeri's in the stash but i want to build a yellow HAR10 like yours, a black/ orange HMS Protector ships flight and a blue/ day-glo HAS9 and I can't work out which one to start first!!

Pat

Thanks Pat!

I'd been expecting you to pop up in the WIP!!

I know its not the most accurate 10 ever but I cant get hold of the italeri kit anywhere! Have you got the Rotorcraft conversion for yours?

cheers

Simon

! Have you got the Rotorcraft conversion for yours?

There is a HAS7 of mine somewhere in RFI that was done using Colin's Rotorcraft conversion. I've got a mixture of Rotorcraft and Whirlybits parts to do the early Whirlwind from Protector plus the same nose and RAFDEC decals as you used for the HAR10. I have been resisting the Rotorcraft HAS9 conversion but will probably give in in the end!! Be rude not to have a BG/ Day-Glo Whirlwind in the collection somewhere!!! What paint did you use for the yellow BTW?

Pat

Nice work Simon, good to see these 'oldies' being built. (My first ever kit - the Airfix Whirlwind in the red and blue scheme, a 'baggie' if I recall correctly).

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks for all kind words fellas, I know this is not technically accurate but i've enjoyed doing it and its looking good in the cabinet, just a Wessex & Sea King to do now!

Pat, I used Revell Aquacolour Matt Yellow, with gloss clearcoat - the matt seems to be a richer tone than the Revell gloss. I should have used white primer really, will make sure I do that next time. BTW your HAS7's a cracker!

Cheers

Simon

As I said in the WIP this is lovely Simon

Accuracy shouldnt be the only criterion/um/a when we build a model, the important thing is enjoying it

I think it is a cracker, specially alongside her sister ship, that makes a great spectacle and allows lots of "Ooh look, they changed that and this is a different shape... Nice" from your viewers who in the main will like to see a pair of Whirlwinds.

I will be looking to do another HAR 10 some day and I will use the paint you did, it looks the business to me.

well made too

• Like 1

Youve made a superb job from an old kit, looks really good..

This is one I did using the Italeri kit and the Heritage nose.. Hope you like it!!20130622_172900.jpg20130622_172950.jpg

Another superb rendition.

Thanks again for all the feedback fellas!!

As I said in the WIP this is lovely Simon

Accuracy shouldnt be the only criterion/um/a when we build a model, the important thing is enjoying it

I think it is a cracker, specially alongside her sister ship, that makes a great spectacle and allows lots of "Ooh look, they changed that and this is a different shape... Nice" from your viewers who in the main will like to see a pair of Whirlwinds.

I will be looking to do another HAR 10 some day and I will use the paint you did, it looks the business to me.

well made too

Thanks for the kind words Bill, I must admit I think the Gnome engined Whirlwinds are much better looking that the earlier marks!!

Steven, love your Whirlwind, I have seen this before in RFI, cracking job, I must get hold of the Italeri kit at some point!

cheers

Simon

• Like 1