Stripy Mig!

Well, the problem with the Matchbox kit - certainly the early boxing like this - is that it is pretty much a caricature of the Mig-21. Too long; nose too narrow; wings and tailplanes in the wrong place; fin too great in chord... But I really couldn't find it in my heart to junk the things because Matchbox kits are so much fun!

I had tinkered with the idea of using one to build that magnificent black, white and grey Slovak scheme, but then I thought that it should really be done on an accurate build. Pretty much every Mig-21 scheme I've een is crying out for an accurate build.

So the Exiles will be whifs. My whif is that the RAF used Mig-21s with a British engine and avionics. That will account for the shape differences and the pen-like spine fairing. :lol: Current plans are for a Mikoyan Berkut GA.1 in camouflage and a Berkut F.2 in natural metal.

While technically there's a no whif rule in the GB I may turn a blind eye to the odd progress pic creeping into your build thread 'out of interest' and love for the matchbox kits!

Phil

• Like 2

My workbench is starting to look like a factory in Gorky!

Here are the fuselages ready to be closed up.

010.jpg

This is the PFS ready to have its spine fitted.

011.jpg

The PFM with spine fitted and the joint filled. The spine itself isn't quite bulged enough, so I have altered the shape with Milliput which now needs to be sanded.

012.jpg

Fins for the PFS and PFM. The area where the bis sine would fit has been filled with plastic card. The PFS fin (top) has been cut down and is in the process of having its leading edge reprofiled.

013.jpg

All the fuselages lined up. From the top they are

bis built totally OOB

MF resin fin and spine from Quickboost. This is intended for the Fujimi kit and so has been reprofiled at the front end.

PFM Matchbox spine added, filled and reprofiled. Fin ready to be fitted.

PFS Matchbox spine added. Milliput added and reprofiling work is ongoing. Narrow chord fin ready to be fitted.

And one of the Exiles has managed to sneak in at the bottom. :D

014.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have actually been working on these. They are almost complete. However, I have had a few technical problems - I had to get a new computer... I have photos of the rest of the builds which hopefully I can post next weekend.

As you can see, I have actually been working on these. I've just been a little lax in updating the thread. :wall:

Here are all four ready for priming. From left to right they are PF, PFM, MF and bis.

015.jpg

016.jpg

All primed with Alclad2 black primer.

017.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Mig-21PF

Uppersurface base coat sprayed on using Mr Hobby H321 Light Brown

PF002.jpg

Disruptive camouflage sprayed on using Lifecolor US222 Olive Drab 34088. The undersurfaces are Lifecolor UA037 Air superiority Blue 35450.

PF003.jpg

PF004.jpg

PF005.jpg

PF006.jpg

Most of the stickers on. I need to print the number on to clear decal sheet.

PF007.jpg

PF008.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Mig-21PFM

Sprayed overall with aluminium acrylic auto colour from a rattle can. Various panels have been masked off and sprayed with Alclad2 Dark Aluminium.

PFM002.jpg

PFM003.jpg

The stripy bits were then masked off with Blutak and Copydex...

PFM004.jpg

... and sprayed with Lifecolor UA-222 Olive Drab 34088.

PFM005.jpg

PFM006.jpg

This is how it looks at the present time.

PFM007.jpg

PFM008.jpg

• Like 2

Mig-21MF

The uppersurface base color is Xtracrylix XA1016 Hemp.

MF003.jpg

Disruptive pattern sprayed with Xytracrylix XA1001 Dark Green and XA1004 Dark Sea Grey.

MF004.jpg

MF005.jpg

The undersurfaces are Xtracrylix XA1136 Light Compass Grey FS16375.

MF006.jpg

Stickers on... bearing in mind Tom's advice that Syrian aircraft never carried fuselage roundels.

MF007.jpg

MF008.jpg

Mig-21bis

Uppersurface base colour is Xtracrylix XA1125 Intermediate Blue FS15164.

bis001.jpg

Disruptive pattern from Xtracrylix XA1037 Light Slate Grey. Undersurfaces are Lifecolor UA037 Air Superiority Blue FS35450.

bis002.jpg

bis003.jpg

Stickers on! This is a particularly smart colour scheme.

bis004.jpg

bis005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This one is finished-ish. Having mislaid my clear decal sheet, I couldn't print out any nose numbers for it. They will be applied in due course

Mig-21PFS

PF009.jpg

PF010.jpg

PF011.jpg

PF012.jpg

PF013.jpg

PF014.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix