Fairey Battle target tug - finished...... phew!

galgos

I've rambled on in GB Chat about my reasons for doing this build, so no more said here, but I love this picture:

battlecolour.jpg

As with all CA kits the build will not be straight forward even if I was building it OOB, which I'm not! The main reason for this is because the nose of the Battle is not very accurate, nor is the tail. Fortunately Heritage Aviation do a correction kit for this but it means amputation of the offending parts at some stage.

DSCN3400_zps1476e18a.jpg

Box art and supplied bits. Now the partially finished Battle was started by my father 10 years or so ago but he didn't get to complete it before he died so it's there as inspiration and maybe a backup!?

DSCN3397_zps048de0f6.jpg

DSCN3399_zpsc6a85254.jpg

It surprised me just how big (and therefore underpowered) the Battle was, look at the comparison with a Hurricane powered by pretty much the same Merlin engine:

DSCN3398_zpsa7951db0.jpg

As with the Anson, lots of prep and dry fitting needed to make sure there's not too many tears later.

Max

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching this one.

I built a bomber version many moons ago with the original resin nose and tails that I think were re-mastered by Heritage. I also used some undercarriage parts from Aeroclub IIRC.

I'm sure you'll master this one as well.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Anson nearing completion, but having to wait for some bits to dry, it's time to get on with the Battle. First job was to get my head around all the resin bits and find out where they went. So here we have the sections for the pilot's and crewman's cockpits. The resin really is quite exquisite. It's very crisp and detailed even down to the crewman's seat in two parts.

DSCN3434_zpsb28730d9.jpg

I'll be sanding, assembling and spraying this up over the next couple of days.

Max

A little progress with the landing lights:

Marking out the positions:

DSCN3443_zps11f9a933.jpg

The resin nose section is the corrected one with the right profile, though I had to add a couple of panel lines and rivets!

DSCN3444_zps71375bca.jpg

The starboard one placed for initial fit. The landing lights are handed, port and starboard, the lens isn't central and should be in the lower half of the insert. More later with the cockpit I hope.

Max

DSCN3446_zps0643dc72.jpg

Love the scheme Max!

I spent a long time last night whittling and filing away to get a good fit for the clear cover for the first of the landing lights. I didn't realise at first that the 2 curious clear vacu-formed items in the kit actually were the covers, it's so comforting that Classic Airframes include duplicates of all these items anticipating the inevitable cock-up! Once the cover is in position it's even more obvious that the orientation of the landing lights is right as mentioned previously.

DSCN3466_zpsc85de8c3.jpg

I also cut out the spaces for the navigation lights and made my own from spare sprue having first drilled holes for the clear red/green dot of paint to be inserted. A little more polishing and they should be fine.

Max

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had the chance to do a little to the Battle, sprayed the cockpits interior green, washed with Payne's Grey oil wash to dirty it up then picked out a few edges and details with dry-brushed silver.

DSCN3583_zpsc03d2128.jpg

The instructions are even more vague than the Anson ones, I'm scratching my head over the exact fit/positioning of the side panels of the aft cockpit but I'll mull over it until a get a chance to do some "proper" modelling tomorrow (hopefully!)

Max

• Like 1

Good tip SF, measure twice, cut once suitably amended! I've tried looking into this area on Dad's Battle but to be honest all that lovely detail gets hidden so I don't think I'm going to be too pedantic about it. Think I'll finish Dad's as a wheels up flying Battle too.

Max

• Like 1

Trying to mask the black stripes is what has put my 1/48 Battle TT on the shelf of doom for several years now.

Yep, I'm pondering that problem already! I think, as mentioned above, that I'll modify Dad's model as a wheels-up then use it as a test bed for the painting side of things.

Max

A day of lots of individual bits of preparation work, and much head scratching over the sketchy instructions, what fits where and how etc etc.

DSCN3592_zps969c1994.jpg

The prop resting on what will be the new nose, though it will be almost the last item to be properly fixed in place. Each blade was a separate item so getting them fitted (more or less) accurately to the centre hub was a bit of a challenge.

DSCN3584_zpsb328ef0d.jpg

DSCN3586_zps01189937.jpg

A couple of views of the cockpit, as previously mentioned, some lovely detail. The seat belt harness is moulded, a much easier option in my opinion than PE ones which I always find a nightmare to fix in place realistically. The instruments on the control panel are aftermarket decals, the control panel was weathered a bit after this pic was taken.

DSCN3587_zpscca406e6.jpg

I've added detail in the way of wingtip nav. lights, riveting and fitting the landing lights. The landing lights aren't a particularly good fit but the covers will hide some of the gaps and the upper halves are painted over anyway!

DSCN3589_zpsed728f09.jpg

DSCN3591_zpsa5a4f04e.jpg

The fully assembled cockpit. Its precise fit in the fuselage half is guesswork, and there's nothing to hold it in place so when I'm satisfied that I've got about the right position I'll add some supports. By taking measurements today I think the front end of the resin box is going to be dangerously close to where I'm going to be chopping off the front end of the fuselage to fit the new nose!

So much excitement in one day...time for a lie down I think! :)

Max

Not necessary on the Battle SF, though it was on the Anson. These are just thick boxes, though I did many trial fits as things progressed to make sure they fitted. Both for'd and aft cockpits are now in place and the fuselage is ready to be joined, tomorrow hopefully. Then the butchery can commence! I'm also doing the wings like the Oxbox, uppers and lowers joined then the fuselage offered up later.

Max

Must have been my ham fistedness then but the halves were fouled by the over thick walls.

Glad you have not had this problem. Nice prop as well, mine wouldn't stay stuck for some reason I had a good template to work from to get the angles right so fixing it wasn't a problem but a new tube of superglue eventually resolved it once and for all. Sadly it got damaged at a model show and wasn't fixable.( oops sorry its fallen off and I've stood on it, was worth much was it?).

Yes, I drew a template to get the right angles for the prop, nothing worse than seeing blades all awry! I've just had a close look at the Battle with Dad in the cockpit, the leading edge of the air intake under the nose is markedly different to the resin one so I'm going to have to modify that......doh! :(

Max

I managed to close the fuselage up before bed last night so work on the new nose and tail can start. The wing assembly's also complete but it's clear from a quick test fit that a fair amount of work will be needed to get a good finish. More later.

Max

First session of major surgery successfully completed.....successfully meaning the old nose is chopped off!

DSCN3596_zps9b5bdc11.jpg

DSCN3597_zps173b09df.jpg

It's obvious from the trial fit that quite a bit of work will need to be done to fair the new nose profile into some of what's there already, plus replacing some areas with Milliput. Should keep me out of mischief for a while.

Max

• Like 1

Much pondering, researching and wine-drinking (a rather nice South African Sauvignon! :) ) led me to conclude that it's easier to hack off the overly-square aft radiator bits completely then build the gap up rather than try to re-shape and fill bits and pieces, so they're off. I've done lots of work with trying to get the wings fitting as cleanly as possible before gluing them in place, including putting a spacer inside the port wing. The wing assembly is now on, aligned properly (I hope) and setting overnight. Before that happened I cut out the space for the radiator flap since the kit's area was very unconvincing.

DSCN3600_zpsed0dc79e.jpg

DSCN3601_zpsaed870ba.jpg

The new nose isn't too bad though it's very slightly out of square - question is, can I live with that?!! :(

Max

Later......no I can't.....it's off! :)