Hobbycraft Sea Fury - Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

I'm sure you knew this, but anyway; there was quite a bit of coverage, and indeed footage, of Bill Humble's career as Hawker's test pilot in an episode of the genealogy show Who Do You Think You Are, dealing with his daughter, BBC wildlife presenter Kate Humble.....

Stunning workmanship on that, btw........

Bill was actually Kate's grandfather.......

Anyway,that F2/43 is the Mother and Father of all F2/43/Fury/Sea Fury models Pete,that's not art,

it's not skill,it's model engineering and construction at it's most fabulous,she's a beauty.

thanks everyone smile.png .. I find your comments inspire me to do more, and better so thank you..

..still edging towards the finish - sorted out a few more bits & bobs...

..I got a little more done on getting the cowl panels sorted out - the real aircraft has quite distinctive staining on the inside face of the panels where they closely cowl the cylinder heads - it's a sort of diamond shape...

WIP1020_zps87ec3158.jpg

..I tried making a mask from tape and adding some strip spacers at the back, but this didn't really work, so I cut it from thin card... also added some stencilling....

WIP1021_zpsc51a5793.jpg

..bad pic, but here is a shot of the home mix being sprayed on...

WIP1022_zpsb6de7b71.jpg

..seemed to work out ok..

WIP1023_zpsd5d3d8ca.jpg

..then really abused them...

WIP1024_zps5764d1dd.jpg

..and dry fit to check how it looks...

WIP1026_zps64a9198b.jpg

WIP1025_zpsfc7b2b74.jpg

..then masked up the walkways on the wings....

WIP1029_zps4ffb69ec.jpg

..and weathered them by chipping the edges with a blade and then using wet micro mesh to just ease some of the rivet detail through the paint...

WIP1033_zpsae0a12be.jpg

..also masked up the interior of the canopy and gave it a blast...

WIP1031_zpsb6ed6aa1.jpg

..still needs cleaning & detailing, but getting there...

WIP1032_zps2a82413c.jpg

..lastly masked out the part of the fuselage spine that is under the canopy, up to and including the canvas sealing strip...

WIP1030_zpsb1e8834c.jpg

..need to clean some of the dirt wash off, but again with some gentle 'stressing' it is starting to look used & dusty...

WIP1036_zps0c9d3e55.jpg

WIP1035_zps7dabb36a.jpg

...and all of it together...

WIP1034_zps2b45b058.jpg

..still more to do, so she is not done yet ninja.gif

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8

HI Peter

great work, and very useful seeing all the detail.

How long does this all take? What thicknesses of brass sheet are you using?

If you want a next project there is the Sabre Fury that was this plane's sister, which I think had a blue stripe.

A Beautiful Aircraft,

Beautifully captured.

So, Same again in 1/72nd?

Why couldn't the kit be this good in the first place though?

Pete

Pete in Riyahd

It exists, but is a Japanese resin kit, that was $85 when available

http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/cleaver/tmc72sf.htm

this is the 1/72nd Aki kit

tmc72sfh.jpg

cheers

T

thanks for stopping by chaps :)

Can I ask what tool are you using to make the rivits ?

Hi Jim - it's Radu's Rivet R set from RB Productions - the method I use is to get a good mr surfacer primer layer to scribe & add rivet details to - it is far, far easier & cleaner than doing it to bare plastic

How long does this all take? What thicknesses of brass sheet are you using?

If you want a next project there is the Sabre Fury that was this plane's sister, which I think had a blue stripe.

cheers

T

Hi Troy - this build started in July 2012 so it's got about 18 months into it (I am a cheapskate so one £29.99 kit will do me for years..), as for the brass, I did a tutorial on it here - it's between 0.01 & 0.05mm K&S shim

As for the next project, I have started an HpH Hornet, though I love British aircraft so can see me coming back to big Hawkers sometime

I saw an amazing Sea Fury on the contest tables at Telford, all opened up - I can't remember if it was 1/72 or 1/48 but may have been from that resin kit

TTFN

Peter

• Like 2

To quote my father after he had a, rather long, look at your work, "This laddie certainly knows what he's doing with a model aeroplane" ;)

Inspired him to tell a few stories from way back in the day and that's from a man who seldom talks about such things.

Now that says something...

I know what my father would have said...he was on HMS Glory for her entire Korean engagement.

I think this is a two dimensional master-class and I can't think of any superlative...it's just so brilliant!

• Like 2

thank you chaps :)

well, today the undercarriage went on, so now it sits on it's gear and dares me to finish it...

..first I got the alignment right - they are canted outwards by 5 degrees and this was allowed for when I fitted the mounts a while back - I used a bit of tube to get things lined up..

WIP1037_zps1401d04d.jpg

..I also fitted the small ancilliary door and made up the actuator arm...

WIP1042_zpsa17e2b6b.jpg

WIP1041_zpsa5598028.jpg

..then used 15 min epoxy to get the wheels on, giving time for them to settle on their flat spots and get the vertical & forward alignment right...

WIP10423_zps75f4023e.jpg

..and she has legs...

WIP1038_zps587bec18.jpg

WIP1040_zpse77e0271.jpg

WIP1039_zpse0e18207.jpg

..on the last lap now, the biggest job remaining is to make the u/c actuator arms and fit them to the legs & jacks - after that, it's just details hopefully....

TTFN
Peter

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

evening folks..

it's been a while so I thought I had better drop in with a little update..

..this is more about what remains to be done, rather than what has been done, although small progress has been made. I have been distractingly busy in the real world lately - so trying to add the finishing touches and get G-AKRY into the RFI section coolio.gif

..got the U/C doors finished and have part built the jacks to mount them..

WIP1044_zps3760c642.jpg

..added some rather crass weathering (hey, I am still learning..) but then looking at the original the streaking is a bit dirty & random so I guess it passes..

....also this is where the gear doors will mount..

WIP1049_zpse9a8c21d.jpg

..added the oil streaks found on the gear doors - I really need to master the 'Haggo' way of doing things..

WIP1045_zps5d98b62f.jpg

..I need to add the rudder - it's finished but I keep knocking it off! so for now it is one of those final placement things..

WIP1047_zps7b18466c.jpg

..have also worked out the cowl panel mounts - can't really see it here, but when fitted the hinge points and retaining cable all fit in this space..

WIP1048_zps93bd1968.jpg

..I carelessly dipped the canopy in hot water to widen it for a better fit...... it turned white in my hands and a significant nervous breakdown was only avoided by re-dipping in future (miracle juice..) which thankfully restored clarity.... that said, there is a nasty kink in the lower frame now so I need to re-skin it..

WIP1046_zpsfedd3593.jpg

...so, after all that the old girl is not quite finished, but then there is not far to go now, and I know what I need to do...

WIP1050_zps575e8b45.jpg

..onwards & upwards..

..I just need to avoid natural distractions like working on airscale's next little sojourn into 1/24 aftermarket modelling heaven...

WIP1051_zps1337d363.jpg

..who would have thought we would have a Tiffie to play with thumbsup.gif

TTFN

Peter

• Like 6

Whoa...I feel for you Peter. It does look ugly, but just a minor, if nerve wrenching, setback. Look forward to her completion...won't be long now I'm sure.

As to the Tiffy...hmmm, I know what you mean by distraction...I fear I'm going to blow a hole in my car savings; now that is a distraction!

All the best,

Nobby57

Peter,

There just aren't enough words...

Stunning is inadequate to describe the level of detail.

As my dad's friend used to say, "Great googley moogley!"

First time I've seen this thread. Wow!!...........I may as well give up, no way could I get anywhere near this standard, and I thought I was reasonable!! Thank God its not a 1/72nd model, I have to remind myself its 'only' 1.48th! You couldn't possibly do more in larger scales, it has got to be the ultimate in miniaturisation. In this world there must only be a handful of people who can produce such wonderful work. Thank you for sharing it with us, we are certainly not worthy!!!

Simon