Airfix MK2 Hurricane. - FINISHED

Hi folks,third entry and back to my Hurricane obsession,the often criticized newish tool Hurricane.I have no mid war or SEAC

scheme in my collection in fact i have never built a SEAC finished aircraft of any type so may lean towards that.the kit is mostly

off the sprue,but it is reviewed elsewhere on this site,I have built this kit in it,s royal navy scheme as can be seen.boxtop_zpsfd8bad38.jpgSDC10090_zps715ab027.jpg

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 6

Here,s the build so far,the kit has no side wall detail at all so a little bit of "spurious" detail was added.The instrument panel is a decal and belts I

always make from slivers of masking tape looks OK in this scale.Thanks for lookingSDC10800_zps5aa7d6d1.jpg

• Like 3

There's more to it than that, I'm afraid. The fin and rudder are noticeably too small, likewise the elevators and the propeller isn't big enough. In addition to the overemphasised panel lines, the ones around the cockpit on the fuselage side are in the wrong place.

Having said that, the fabric effect looks good and Airfix got the undercarriage bay right (unlike Hasegawa) and they still build up well into a decent model, as we can see above.

John.

Three days off work so progress on all three entries.Disaster struck when cutting the canopy off the sprue as it broke in two! I had a spare from a

hobbyboss kit so have had to do some surgery to pose it in the open position as it was too narrow by far, everything else went together without

a hitch just a little touch of filler over a couple of sink marks.as you can see the filter is fitted so it will be a SEAC machine,thanks for looking.SDC10809_zps5d6b7409.jpg

Bit more done,I used the under surface colour as a primer for the top colours, sprayed the brown then brushed the dark green.I am going to use the

kit decals for the white ID bands as opposed to painting them so fingers crossed the are not too opaque,to be fair airfix are releasing some top

quality decals right now and these look very good.Thanks for looking.SDC10811_zps4f8b5be0.jpg

• Like 1

What a nice looking kit, bit heavy on the panel lines but I wouldn't say no to building it. Good for Airfix, they've obviously listened to modellers and have kept up with todays needs. I just don't get why people are quick to have a go at them, if you don't like it, fix it! Simples!

You said you'd detailed the side walls, does that include the frame work? I thought that was a kit part at first! Nicely done if it's scratch! :goodjob:

Nice neat work Steve!

What a nice looking kit, bit heavy on the panel lines but I wouldn't say no to building it. Good for Airfix, they've obviously listened to modellers and have kept up with todays needs. I just don't get why people are quick to have a go at them, if you don't like it, fix it! Simples!

You said you'd detailed the side walls, does that include the frame work? I thought that was a kit part at first! Nicely done if it's scratch! :goodjob:

Nice neat work Steve!

Thanks.

,the side walls have no detail at all and to be honest I am not much into interior detail but as I wanted the canopy opened I used evergreen

strip to "mimic" the framing of the real aircraft.

Hi folks well glad to say the white ID stripes were superb dense enough to cover the camoflage,they do need trimming and I have replaced the tail

marking as you can see it covers the rudder if you set it off the curve of the tail and I am led to believe it should,nt. SDC10828_zps5d65b087.jpgthanks.

• Like 6

Wow, this is coming along... rapidly. :blink: And it looks fantastic! I must admit I love the Hurricane and I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into my 1/144 Sweet Mk.I. If I can find some cheap donor kit's, there's a Hurricane whif I've always wanted to do but it's going to have to be in 1/72.

That's a nice job :) R U using enamel paint?

Thanks,no all acrylics I have a starter airbrush which I spray large areas i.e. the underside and top surface then brush painted the green on,keeping

the coats very thin.I used to love enamels but a few years ago they seemed to change to consistency and I lost interest.

Hi folks,being on my days off got a couple of hours work on my three GB entries,here,s the hurricane almost there.I have glued the front canopy

in place ready to paint also the sliding portion which needs painting and fixing in place.I have run a wash in all the panel lines and 99% of the

decals are in place.Off screen the wheels and exhausts are all done so next photo,s should be the finished article after a matt coat,SDC10832_zps786c99a7.jpg

• Like 5