Lightning F.6 11 Sqn 1976 - Hasegawa 1/72

Lightning F.6 11 Sqn RAF Binbrook 1976

Yes, I know I should have just got on with that new Airfix Lightning, but this one had been in the pending pile for so many years that I just had to finish it. This is the Hasegawa / Frog / Revell F6 kit which I rescribed. I also fitted a new forward belly tank with guns so that I could use the big 11 Sqn fin badge from the Xtradecal sheet which was designed for F3s. Probably like most of us I have a few more Frog F6 kits in the attic and even though Airfix have now surpassed those old kits (thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Airfix) I'm sure I will still use a few from time to time because they are just pure nostalgia!

XR773 / D was in the static park at the 1976 IAT at Greenham Common so I used one of my old slides to finish it.

Alclad over polished Halfords grey primer (polished with toothpaste and elbow grease) and then a few brushed coats of Klear to give that grey / aluminium look and to ensure the decals went down well

LightningF611Sqn016.jpg

LightningF611Sqn015.jpg

LightningF611Sqn014.jpg

LightningF611Sqn013.jpg

LightningF611Sqn012.jpg

LightningF611Sqn009.jpg

LightningF611Sqn006.jpg

LightningF611Sqn002.jpg

• Like 11

What a great job you've made of that. It is an old kit but with skill and patience can obviously still pass muster. I'm sure there will be lots of the new Airfix kits that don't turn out as nice as the finish is so good on this one.

Duncan B ( busy working on backdating the F2a to F1)

Nice work Chris. I think it might be time to have a Lightning meet at the club somewhen!! :winkgrin:

Give me a few more weeks and I could have the Whirlikits Resin T5 done plus my first Airfix F2A (done as an F6).........on second thoughts make that a few months.

That's excellent Chris,

You`ve done a really nice job on the old Hasegawa kit and I love the finish too, you are a braver man than me! The pics look a bit squashed on my screen too but they don`t take anything away from the look of the model,.....it looks like the Macro on your camera might have bent the images slightly maybe?

Cheers

Tony

That's excellent Chris,

You`ve done a really nice job on the old Hasegawa kit and I love the finish too, you are a braver man than me! The pics look a bit squashed on my screen too but they don`t take anything away from the look of the model,.....it looks like the Macro on your camera might have bent the images slightly maybe?

Cheers

Tony

I'm surprised by the comments on pics looking squashed. All I've done is to crop them. That does change the aspect ratio of the overall picture, but shouldn't affect the AR of the image itself. Maybe some PCs automatically re-aspect pics into a standard frame or something?

a super build. Youve nailed the NMF, just right for a busy line jet. Do you really need the new mould Airfix Lightnings? If you can do that with the Hasegawa whats in store when you post an Airfix one.

Give me a few more weeks and I could have the Whirlikits Resin T5 done plus my first Airfix F2A (done as an F6).........on second thoughts make that a few months.

I'd be interested in seeing how your getting on with the Whirlykits Tbird. I got as far as cleaning all the bits up but the wing join is a shocker so it is resting again!

Duncan B

What Chris didn't tell was how he recovered from the disaster of the first paint job. I had persuaded him, with an actual sample, that it was quite safe to use Alclad over gloss black enamel. He was still sceptical but tried it. It went awfully wrong so he had to scrape the whole lot off and refinish it using his usual procedure.

Nice one Chris...and great relief to me

John

Beautiful!

I've got one of these but haven't gone near it because I know I'll need to work at it to get it to look like this one, but you've definitely got the measure of this kit.

Eng

I'd be interested in seeing how your getting on with the Whirlykits Tbird. I got as far as cleaning all the bits up but the wing join is a shocker so it is resting again!

Duncan B

I just checked out the wing joints on the T5. They're not that good, but should be OK with a bucket full of Milliput so it's not too different from the Frog F6 kit. I struggled with the fit of the lower rear fuselage halves and the whole back end, but I think Milliput has just about sorted that out as well. What I do like about this kit is the correct flat shape to the top of the fuselage behind the canopy. It looks a great improvement on the Matchbox T55, but I will have to wait to see what it looks like with the canopy fitted and faired in.

Chris

• Like 1

I just checked out the wing joints on the T5. They're not that good, but should be OK with a bucket full of Milliput so it's not too different from the Frog F6 kit. I struggled with the fit of the lower rear fuselage halves and the whole back end, but I think Milliput has just about sorted that out as well. What I do like about this kit is the correct flat shape to the top of the fuselage behind the canopy. It looks a great improvement on the Matchbox T55, but I will have to wait to see what it looks like with the canopy fitted and faired in.

Chris

Forgot to mention that the fin is warped and just doesn't want to flatten out despit hot water, etc. Also the tailplanes are almost wafer thin so will need replacing. I have plenty of those though - ex Airfix F1As