F-4J Phantom VF-213

F-4J Phantom - VF-213 'Black Lions'

USS Kitty Hawk, 1974

This is the 1/72 Esci F-4C/J kit with a really old set of Microscale decals (they worked perfectly well even though they're over 25 years old!). A very nice kit for its age, with engraved surface detail as good as most current kits. The kit seems to be designed around the F-4C USAF version in that a) the rear cockpit consoles are provided, B) the nosewheel door has the USAF style landing lights and c) the USAF refuelling receptacle is moulded into the top fuselage. All easy to sort though.

Had a depth-of-field issue with the photos as they were taken on quite a dull day, despite using 1/40th second to minimise the aperture size. Need to take another set sometime.

F-4JVF-21307.jpg

F-4JVF-21308.jpg

F-4JVF-21306.jpg

F-4JVF-21305.jpg

F-4JVF-21304.jpg

F-4JVF-21302.jpg

F-4JVF-21301.jpg

• Like 8

That is a great looking Toom and I'd never seen those markings before. The grey over white, full colour schemes really looked great and gave the modeller so much scope to produce colourful collections unlike the boring grey low viz aircraft we see now.

I went through a phase of making US Navy aircraft back in the early 1980's as the colour schemes were so striking and the aircraft types operated by the Air Wings so varied and interesting. I remember making the Esci Phantoms and really liking them, shame they are so hard to come by now. I've still got some old Microscale decals from the early '80's in the stash, I wonder if they would still be usable?

Duncan B

That is a great looking Toom and I'd never seen those markings before. The grey over white, full colour schemes really looked great and gave the modeller so much scope to produce colourful collections unlike the boring grey low viz aircraft we see now.

I went through a phase of making US Navy aircraft back in the early 1980's as the colour schemes were so striking and the aircraft types operated by the Air Wings so varied and interesting. I remember making the Esci Phantoms and really liking them, shame they are so hard to come by now. I've still got some old Microscale decals from the early '80's in the stash, I wonder if they would still be usable?

Duncan B

I'm sure they will still be OK - I've recently used decals bought in the 70s with no problem. Get out those A-4s, A-6s, A-7s etc!

• Like 1