First Build... Back To Basics... Airfix Chippy (1/72nd)

Andy Mac

Well I've finally sorted out a space to do my modelling, and installed a worktop and made a paint rack.
Soooo, it's time I started to make a model, this will be the first one in about 33 years so I've decided to keep it basic so as to re-learn any old skills that I might of had back in the day.
I decided the first model should be an 1/72nd Airfix Chipmunk, my thoughts being that this should be an "out of the box" basic build with an easy paint job to match, just to get me in the swing of things.

chippy_14778_b700_zpsce68ab07.jpg

chippy_14782_b700_zpsbe4e4961.jpg

There's only 2 sprues of parts and 1 sprue of clear parts (2 choices of canopy), the typical Airfix instructions and some basic decals.
Upon inspection there'a a fair bit of flash (not too much of a problem), and I notice on the inside of one of the wings is the date of the mould... 1969!
Boy, this is an old kit, and it shows, the canopy is like looking through the bottom of a jam jar, lol,

chippy_14784_b700_zps696cf3b8.jpg

I'm now thinking that maybe I should have chosen one of the "new tooling" options from Airfix, but I've got it out, so onward I plunge...
I'll give it a scrub up in some mildly soapy water to get rid of any nasties...

chippy_14787_b700_zpsb55050bf.jpg

:)

• Like 5

Yay! Welcome back to it.

And you have started off by clearing the first hurdle of common mistakes everyone makes - washing the sprues. Must admit that the first two models I built after a long gap since my childhood "modelling" (more plastic butchery really!) I forgot to do this and ended up with awkward problems when paint was needed.

Lots of tips on here to help you learn rapidly.

Badger

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far, though due to the age of the kit somethings are a bit challenging. I wanted this to be an "ease back into the hobby" type build rather than a lot of hard work.

But I'll keep at it.

I gave the interior a coat of Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black, although there is no detail, not even any form of instrument panel. I thought about having a go at scratching something up, but with the canopy the way it is it won't get seen anyway.

14789_b700_zps7e300f83.jpg

With the seats being glued to the wings, the fuselage is glued together.

14790_b700_zps59883319.jpg

Next the wing tops are mated to the lower halves.

14815_b700_zps424bb2a2.jpg

• Like 3

Nice start! You seem to have some useful tools there, especially the clamps. I could use a set of those, after I broke my thumb I have a hard time with that particular kind of pressing action.

I think you do just right about just getting this one under your belt, a stalled first build is never fun.

/Erik

A great start. I rejoined the hobby less than a year ago and haven't looked back. Great stress relief for me. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Tom.

Thanks guys. The black clamps I've had for a while, I've been using them for building R/C aircraft, I'm sure they were made by either Rolson or Blackspur, but they were a cheapy off ebay. The blue pegs were £1 from Asda for a big pack, and they've got soft rubber in the jaws so are ideal for plastic modelling use.

• Like 3

After so long a break, I think you are going exactly the right way about this build by relearning the basics and keeping things neat and simple. It is so often that these let an otherwise great model down. Good work so far!

Martin

After so long a break, I think you are going exactly the right way about this build by relearning the basics and keeping things neat and simple. It is so often that these let an otherwise great model down. Good work so far!

Martin

Thanks Martin, I don't want to go in too deep at this early stage of returning to modelling, I want to make sure that I enjoy it, which I am immensely.

A bit more progress...

I've filled in a few gaps, just the usual suspects.

14838_b700_zpscf9c2d74.jpg

And I decided to open up the air intake at the front of the cowl as it's closed off in the kit, I didn't really have suitable tools for this and made a bit of a pigs ear of it, but it'll have to

do for now.

14845_b700_zps325f102e.jpg

All masked up and ready for some primer...

14846_b700_zpsd60d0c11.jpg

After a few coats of Vallejo 73.615 Surface Primer...

14849_b700_zpsb3b41a45.jpg

The primer went on easy enough, so started misting on the Vallejo 71.057 Black.

14851_b700_zpsdf9ce720.jpg

And after a few light coats things are looking a little, well, black!

14853_b700_zps87a25001.jpg

At this point I realised that after the grey primer the plan was to mask off and spray the white bands on the wings and fuselage, but I've forgotten, DOH!

Well, I'll have to mask it off now and see if I can get the white bands to go over the black, perhaps if I go to the grey primer first, should be interesting...

• Like 3

I think you might get away with white over black. I find that an airbrush gives much smoother coverage in that situation ( I assume you're airbrushing as you mentioned misting it on). Several thin coats and dry it off in between and you should be ok. You also have the advantage that on a black airframe the white will look lighter than it is anyway (slight optical illusion). Same would apply with spray cans, but with less control.

Nice work so far and welcome back to the fold.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Looking good, great to see someone else returning to the hobby like me, I'm following this wee build as after todays wee trip to Hobbycraft I spotted this kit and sort of added it to my ever growing list in my head.

Your wee white on black issue, I wouldn't bother with doing any grey under coats, just a few light coats of white and build it up. I have had to coat over black with white for a sign I made for a friend the other week just some very thin coats of white think it took 4 or 5 to get it to a decent standard and it looked decent enough. Think with the coats of grey you may get a wee lip where the paint has built up.

• Like 1

I would paint the white directly on top of the black. It sounds crazy but the result is actually quite good, Its like it does something to the white making it more bright. Don't know how to explain it. But Yellow, Red and white on black primer is not bad at all.

• Like 1

Super work Andy. Your Chippy is looking very neat. You inadvertently set yourself quite a challenge by choosing this old kit. I'm sure a new tool would have been easier as a first model on your return but you are coping perfectly well so good on you.

This model was the first kit I ever built all of those years ago. No paint and decals stuck straight to the plastic. Probably only took a couple of hours to complete but it certainly started something.

Looking forward to more soon.

Looking good so far. I bought a couple of these kits yesterday - nice simple kit to build while my Revell Fairey Rotodyne build drives me nuts :banghead:

Chris

Cheers guys.

I've read that White can be tricky to spray and get a decent covering, but I can't find the thread where I read it.
Being new to airbrushing (this is my first attempt) I want to try and get a half decent effort.
I have "Vallejo Model Air 71.001 White" and "Xtracrylix XA1141 White" in my armoury, but what do you guys find is the most satisfactory White to airbrush?
I don't mind buying another brand of white if it's worth it to get a good finish. ;)

Hey Andy

My choice would be the Vallejo model air white you don't need to thin it and it's coverage is very good (I would build up the colour in light layers for the best result).

Hope this helps.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1