Hawker Hurricane Scale Plans

SaintsPhil

Good Morning BMers,

I don't normally build models with spiny bits on the front, but I've been asked to build a Hurricane and I'm after some decent (accurate) scale plans, I really need the shell ejection ports under the wings. Anyone suggest a good source for these?

Many thanks

Phil

From what I've heard here, Arthur Bentley's plans are the best around for the type.

Thanks Giorgio, I did see those, the price put me off though. I'm sure they're worth it but I'd never use them again! I wondered if there was a book with some accurate ones in that I could get second hand at a sensible price....

1/48 plans from the same author were included in the November 2005 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly, you might be able to find this from the publisher or on E-bay

Edited: IIRC the plans were for the Hurricane I

Edited by Giorgio N

1/48 plans from the same author were included in the November 2005 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly, you might be able to find this from the publisher or on E-bay

That might be a good source! Thanks

If it makes a difference to your project, Mr. Bentley's plans (which are indeed utterly amazing IMHO), if I'm not mistaken, cover only the Mk I Hurricane. IIRC there is a scrap view of a Sea Hurricane Mk IC wing, however, showing the access panel and ejection port arrangement of the 4-cannon wing as later fitted to the Mk II.

I know Arthur personally. I got all his Hurricane planes. They are worth it Phil I am a sort of in a stalled process of writing a book on building the Hurricane in 1/48 amd 1/32 scale. Maybe its just an excuse to have over 15 Hurricane kits. I helped Arthur update his site and I now believe that you can order and pay on line. http://www.albentley-drawings.com/drawings/hawker-hurricane-mk-i/hawker-hurricane-mk-ii/

What Kit are you using? PM if you need any more help

Didn't they appear in an old Scale Models mag from the early 1980's also?

Yes also there was a re print of the series in 1990 I have both plus the Wing Span commemorative big three BoB sett.

Didn't they appear in an old Scale Models mag from the early 1980's also?

Yes, they were first published in Scale Models in 1/72 scale in the August, September, and October 1980 issues. There was an excellent accompanying article by Mr. Bentley describing how the drawings were done and some interesting quirks of the aircraft's shape.

I believe the set was also available through the MAP Plans Service back in the day. As noted above, the 1/48 version is in the November 2005 Model Aircraft Monthly.

The only ancient dog-eared magazines I guard more zealously are Mr. Bentley's Fw 190A/F/G drawings (Scale Models; May, June, July, and August 1978), LOL...!

Edited by MDriskill

Yes, they were first published in Scale Models in 1/72 scale in the August, September, and October 1980 issues. There was an excellent accompanying article by Mr. Bentley describing how the drawings were done and some interesting quirks of the aircraft's shape.

I believe the set was also available through the MAP Plans Service back in the day. As noted above, the 1/48 version is in the November 2005 Model Aircraft Monthly.

The only ancient dog-eared magazines I guard more zealously are Mr. Bentley's Fw 190A/F/G drawings (Scale Models; May, June, July, and August 1978), LOL...!

here's a scan of the article, I posted this here before, but I find threads [and therefore info] can easily get 'lost' here ....easy enough to find if you know it's there, not so easy if you don't....

Anyway, here's the background to the Bentley plans, and why they are considered the best.

HurricaneBentleynotescrop_zpsc6a2675f.jp

Don't use the 1980s Bentley drawings, since he's amended them, as a result of Peter Cooke's researches; those published in Scale Aviation Modeller, in 2005, are (or should be) the corrected set.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...