1/18 - McDD AV-8B Harrier II by Merit International - released - Trumpeter AV-8B+ boxing - released

Homebee

Very large - 1/18th ! - McDD AV-8B Harrier II kits are announced by Merit International in 2014-2015

- ref.61804 - McDD AV-8B Harrier II
Source:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=587326264692286&set=pb.117797744978476.-2207520000.1391410224.&type=3&permPage=1

472747-14481-17-pristine.jpg

- ref.60027 - McDDAV-8B Harrier II USMC
Source:

https://www.facebook.com/MeritIntlLtd?hc_location=timeline#!/photo.php?fbid=589304917827754&set=a.589304677827778.1073741854.117797744978476&type=1&theater

472748-14481-62-pristine.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 5 months later...

Pictures.

Source: http://www.fighting118th.com/2014/07/29/sdcc-2014-merit-international-118-av-8b-harrier-sizematters/

The current goal is to have the Harrier released roughly around Chinese New Year 2015 (February). The Harrier will be released as a pre-built and pre-painted model first, with a kit version following at a later date (Think of the 1:18 SBD). The first paint scheme has not be decided upon yet, though it will be revealed, hopefully soon! This is Merit’s marquee 1:18 scale release, and they want to take their time to make sure it’s correct (aka no spot cat debacle).

SDCC2014-Harrier15.jpg

SDCC2014-Harrier02.jpg

SDCC2014-Harrier17.jpg

SDCC2014-Harrier10.jpg

SDCC2014-Harrier25.jpg

SDCC2014-Harrier19.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Been waiting for this, have their 1/18th Dauntless and its a pretty good kit. Estimate price for the kit will be £150 or so....

Hoping can do one in RAF Operation Telic version if possible.

Prefer a British version but, let's not be grumpy.............................!!! :D

Been waiting for this, have their 1/18th Dauntless and its a pretty good kit. Estimate price for the kit will be £150 or so....

Hoping can do one in RAF Operation Telic version if possible.

Prefer a British version myself but, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too pricey for me anyway!! :(

Allan

• 1 month later...

Very interested in the kit- just to ask will it have more than one decal option. Also - is it the pre-built to be released first?

Thanks - meant to add this is in reference to the Harrier...

Edited by lazyeagle
  • Like 1

Very interested in the kit- just to ask will it have more than one decal option. Also - is it the pre-built to be released first?

Thanks - meant to add this is in reference to the Harrier...

Sorry to give the default answer, but it is all I have right now: Stay Tuned. :banghead: We promise, as soon as everything is finalized, we will announce it EVERYWHERE! There are a lot of great suggestions for decals and we have narrowed it down, but nothing is in concrete yet. Essentially this sums it up... :shutup: Just like fine wine, time is needed to make it shine!

In layman's terms, what differences are there between the AV-8B and the GR9?

Origin, British Aerospace designations for upgraded airframe include GR5 and GR9. AV-8B is

McDonnell Douglas's designation. 1981 BAE and MD partnered up in the creation of the AV-8B II with several upgrades including night-attack capability. This is my understanding and is open to critique and corrections :pilot:

I'm confused

Box shows an AV-8B II, but the plastic shows it is an AV-8B II Plus (i.e. the last AV-8B variant and not the original AV-8B).

Does that mean all 3 AV-8B II options are in the box?

Nice that all the blow-in doors can be open/closed - makes the hover configuration so much easier. Shame it's the wrong scale for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused

Box shows an AV-8B II, but the plastic shows it is an AV-8B II Plus (i.e. the last AV-8B variant and not the original AV-8B).

Does that mean all 3 AV-8B II options are in the box?

Nice that all the blow-in doors can be open/closed - makes the hover configuration so much easier. Shame it's the wrong scale for me!

What box? We don't even have the design for the box finalized... Unless I have been left out of the loop! :fight: As far as I know, the only difference between AV-8B II and AV-8B II Plus is the addition of the APG-65 radar. Am I incorrect? I sure could be! :book:

What box? We don't even have the design for the box finalized... Unless I have been left out of the loop! :fight: As far as I know, the only difference between AV-8B II and AV-8B II Plus is the addition of the APG-65 radar. Am I incorrect? I sure could be! :book:

I was going on the basis of the photos included at the start of this thread and the fact it said Harrier AV-8B II and not Harrier AV-8B II Plus - given that these are quite different aircraft in kit form and real life. I recognise now that I have spent more time looking at the photo that it's not "box art" - sorry.
However, there are differences between the two, including but not limited to ...
1) Different instrument panels (B does not have radar installation, etc)
2) Different nose as you have observed with the Plus having radar
3) Different LERX and fire intakes (B has 65%, Plus has 100% + intakes on LERX)
4) Plus has chaff / flare dispensers on the upper fuselage and extended tail fin intake to avoid ingestion of chaff/flare exhaust into cooling
5) Plus has two additional outlets on the rear fuselage/ventral fin below the tailplane
6) Different cockpit instrument panel coaming
7) Additional and different RAM air intakes / heat exchangers for cockpit to rear of canopy
8) Additional weapons capability of Plus (Litening pod, JDAM, LJDAM, etc)
9) Revised HUD on Plus (larger, wider)
10) Revised positioning of the yaw vane on the Plus (AV-8B II has it off to the port side, to starboard side on Plus)
11) Different Pegasus engines (so depended what you are detailing of this) - Plus variant has 23 blades on first compressor, AV-8B II has 26 for example.
12) New scheme (Gunship Grey / FS35237) only applied to NA and Plus aircraft (though there is an AV-8B II with VMAT-203 in this scheme, although why I don't know) and HTPS variations between the original and Plus
There may be more, but it illustrates the point.
You can confirm this and more by obtaining copies of the Hasegawa AV-8B II and Hasegawa AV-8B II Plus kit instructions in 1/48 scale and noting the different use of parts (something we have done for Harrier SIG members).
Hope that helps?
Thus back to the original question, which version is being produced in this kit - just the AV-8B II Plus, or all variants?

Graham, are you sure about the LERX on the AV8B? I thought only the early AV8B had 65%, most later ones had 100%, unlike the RAF ones.

I certainly thought all the 'night attack' ones had 100% and no radar.

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil