A pair of Bullfinches - FINISHED

OK, I'll do the pair of Bullfinches in 1/1 scale from Airfix. I have all their bird kits in my stash, being a little vary of the paint work, but then again, I'll have to begin somewhere. So I'm joining in, inspired by Alex Gordon's Kingfisher.

I paid just under 5£ about a year ago. Here's what we have when opening the box.

Domherrar1.jpg

And all the parts spread out. I wonder how those flowers will be able to look...

Domherrar2.jpg

I think the birds themselves can be quite good, if I can make a descent paint job. I'm not too sure about that. I will have to start painting some insides black and sculpting something like a tongue at least for the female.

Domherrar3.jpg

Don't expect a quick progress...

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 4

Good to see something out of the ordinary but be prepaired to do plenty test fitting with the various parts to get good joins. There is no positive location for the birds upon the log either so it can take a lot of juggling with the legs and toes to gain a convincing perch for both birds. I backed both birds throats with plastic sheet and added a tongue to one from shaped sprue but didn't use the flowers or rock as they didn't look very realistic to my eye.

Had a lot of fun with this kit and hope you do as well.

• Like 1

Nice one Jörgen, I have a pair of the blue tits in the stash somewhere, I built the same ones as a kid and I remember the fit of parts being a bit rubbish.

Never would have thought to add tongues. Good thinking! :-)

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys, I've done just a little work and already enjoy the kit a lot. Thanks for the heads up on the legs/toes against the log. And yes, I also thought of turbines rather than flowers when I first opened the box...

I started with thinning out the edges of the beaks, then I carved out two tongues from some sprue, or at least something that could represent tongues, and glued in place with a small wall behind them to stop seeing through.

Domherrar4.jpg

Then all this was painted black in case it would be hard to reach some areas later.

Domherrar5.jpg

The log halves were glued with ordinary glue and clamped together. They actually didn't fit that bad. I'm not so sure about the stone part, and even less about my ability to paint it even near to a stone look. We'll see.

Domherrar6.jpg

I then started playing with the main parts, doing some serious fitting trials. It looked much better than expected. The body halves were quickly joined, and once I got a feeling for the fit of the wings both birds were suddenly all together.

Domherrar7.jpg

The fit was much better than I expected and I was positively surprised. It's far from perfect but I think it will not be difficult to clean them up well with a small amount of filler here and there.

Domherrar8.jpg

I think they're starting to look rather cute.

• Like 2

I've done a little more work tonight. Cleaned up most seams from yesterday, and so far no filler used! Only a knife, sand paper/dust and a little super glue. I'm really surprised. I also glued the two halves of branches for the log. And picked a neutral base from my stash that I think I can use, I actually think that it will still go just under 10£ when added to the kit. ;)

Domherrar9.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Natter, it's good to hear my builds can be a little inspirational and that I can give something back for the pleasure I get from yours.

Those flower parts are a bit iffy, but I thought I would at least give them a try. Airfix wants you to simply bend them up, but I'm sure they will just break and not look any good. Once the first was cleaned up somewhat I decided to try using the hair dryer. When blown from the top it eventually curled upwards, and while a bit soft it could be formed a little more. That might be worth some paint I thought when I dry fitted them. Perhaps some rounded centre piece should be added. We'll see.

Domherrar10.jpg

Everything is cleaned up and assembled as far as I want before painting. I'm keeping the leg parts on their sprue for now to keep them easily numbered. I think I may not paint them until they are on the birds and tweaked to fit the log.

Domherrar11.jpg

• Like 1

Well that painting is feeling quite scary, but a challenge. I hope I will at least be able to make the viewers understand what it is I'm trying to make them see...

I got a coat of white primer sprayed on the birds, mainly to see if I can get away with the joints as they are, and I'm happy as they look.

Domherrar12.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. I'll use an airbrush for most of the bird painting, dry brushing with hairy sticks of course. The base parts will see more brush painting. I suspect there are limitations as to what can be done as much of surface on their bodys are quite coarse, but it will be interesting. I think I'll do my Robins too before the Blue tits, as I really want to make them to my very best abilities.

Thanks a lot guys, I get good inspiration. I was a bit wary of my work when I but it aside last night, but I was much more comfortable with it this morning when I looked at it. I will let it rest for a few days while trying to put some basic paint other parts of the base.

Just catching up with this - it looks lovely thus far. Great colours on the wood - the red under the bark layer is very well-observed.

I think the trick with the rock, and perhaps with the log-ette as well, will be getting some sharpness into the result. I can't quite tell from the pictures but the birds and flowers look really crisp, whereas the log and rock look a little bit rounded off? Maybe some careful drybrushing or sponge work would help?

Just my 2p. I saw one of these bird kits in a second-hand shop last year and already regret not picking it up!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1