1/72 - Sukhoi Su-35S "Flanker-E" by Hasegawa - released - new boxing Su-35 prototype

Homebee

The Sukhoi airframe nomenacures from the end of the cold war Su-27 onwards all get confusing, but, my limited knowledge is this : post cold war Sukhoi i+Mig were left out in the cold no new state orders, Mig relied on the Russian government to do everything for them, cash, design, and sales...................... Hence very few new Mig 29 around.

Sukhoi on the other hand took the pro-active approach, their own cash, development rout and forged their own subsequent sales of this jet.

The latest variants are all improvements of the 27 Vanilla , new engines , avionic `s (cash from India) and new materials such as carbon fibber.    Off the top of my head the Su-35 does not have an airbrake but, instead uses differential rudder for braking (ie : both rudders will move inwards) and the entire fin(s) is carbon. Also of note is that a large portion of avionics are / were from Thales.......... France.......... New A/C will be forth coming with Russian avionics' , no doubt in part due to Western sanctions.

The old colours of the classic Sukhoi`s are/were still being uses to this day, so, differentiating the versions is a little tricky, the only sound advice is: if its a shabby looking jet its a Su-27...................

The new jets of Su-30`s + Su-35`s and so on are sporting some v.nice scheme`s - the light blue + dark blue/grey is a favourite of    mine, add in a naval flag for those jets replacing the Su-24`s and you`ve got a winner............

Also of note is the use of the 3 tones of blue and in a wrap around fashion and I`m on it like a rash.

As I`ve said........... only what I think I know............ Hope this helps............ Latters-tatters. ;)

• 1 month later...

Quite the necropost, but looking again in my stash at the Su-35S and looking at pictures from Syria, I noticed that the kit from Hasegawa has the chaff/flare launchers located on top/above the "sting" (as on the Bort 7 plane with the eggplant camouflage), whereas most pictures are showing the launchers loacted under the sting.

e44.jpg

Was there an evolution of the design? And was it applied to all Su-35S in service or only applied on a certain batch/randomly?

Thanks!

• Like 1