Yet again another Eduard 1/48th MiG 21 MF

Jabba

Thank you very much Tom, I really appreciate the help that you have given with this build. I just need to slightly sort out the white Serial No now, but I think that I am almost there.

I have now started to paint this model. I first painted the di-electric panels Green and then applied the masks provided. I then sprayed the Orange panel areas white before applying the Orange. Here are the results.

MiG21025_zpsf3c41f06.jpg

MiG21026_zps12cb5ca5.jpg

MiG21027_zps4bab79d8.jpg

I have also now managed to get the ejection seat to fit and started to paint that. Sometime soon I will also start on the U/C.

Edited by Jabba

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while so I thought that I would give an update on my progress. I have finished the underside painting, plus two of the topside apart from touch ups. I still need to to another coat of the sand as the orange and base colour still show through in places. Hopefully tonight I will start on the last colour. I have also started to paint the U/C and putting the weaponry together. The main concern that I have at the moment is the pylon extension that is required for the AIM-9s. I do have a couple of spare pylons in the kit, plus some from another Eduard MiG-21 kit which I think I will cut in half lengthways and see how it fits from there, unless anyone else has a better idea.

Here are the pictures of the model to date.

MiG21028_zps44daa690.jpg

MiG21029_zps95ffdd39.jpg

MiG21030_zpsfde0af33.jpg

Edited by Jabba

I have made up the adapters between the wing pylons and the LAUs, but I am having difficulty in deciphering what the colour of these parts actually is. If anyone can have a look at posts 32 and 75 and can see what the colour maybe I will be very grateful.

Will post some pictures of progress in the next day or so.

Painting all done now and I have removed the masking touching up where required. I have added the main U/C, and would have added the nose one if I hadn't dropped after gluing altogether and then seeing a part being eaten by the monster. Luckily I do have a spare kit so the part was retrieved and it is all together again waiting to be fitted. Anyway some pictures.

MiG21031_zps929d750a.jpg

MiG21032_zpsc94177da.jpg

MiG21033_zps327611e0.jpg

The newer nose U/C.

MiG21034_zps51e184b8.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the RV decal sheets that I bought just for the white Serial Nos, which will be chopped and changed to get the Serial No that I want.

MiG21035_zps8d6b7bf3.jpg

MiG21036_zps63169c97.jpg

So hopefully I will get the nose U/C fitted tonight and then I will start to apply the decals.

Thanks for the comments. I am really pleased with what I have built at the moment, and especially the performance of the AKAN paints. I am not a lover of acylic paints, but these paints really do the job and I will look to using these more in the future.

I'm really surprised at how good you applied all my chaotic painting instructions. Great job!

Following the colours that you gave me was easy. But I do have a problem or dilemma at the moment after I printed off the photo that you sent to me. I had followed the kit painting instructions for the camo pattern thinking that there were the same as what was in the photo. It was not until I actually looked properly at the photo last night that I discovered that the camo patterns are different. As I have now started decalling the model I am not going to change the camo pattern. So now as I want a sidewinder carrying MiG-21 and I have modified the model so it can, do I just add the white Serial Nos from the decals sheets that I paid a lot of money for or do I add the kit black Serial Nos but add the sidewinders. Either way the kit is not going to be totally accurate, but I think it would pass the club night inspection.

White serials are OK.

Anyway, yup, the problem was caused by two different threads on the same Eduard modell with similar (Egyptian) camo, and then 'that's reference photo I've posted....

Black serials were in use well into the 1980s (and were sometimes applied even on aircraft that should have got them in white, following local overhauls and re-painting). White serials were introduced in around 1981-1982. For a number of years both fashions were in use.

So, if one takes it 'strictly, you can offer the following explanation for 'your' camo pattern: the reference photo you used is showing 8676 with its original camo and Sidewinders, though also the (Italian-made) Selenia ALQ-234 ECM-pod under the centreline. The latter was purchased by Egypt in the late 1970s, and was quite 'en vogue' in the early 1980s (so much so, the Egyptians deployed it on their Mirage 5s sent to Iraq to help out against Iran, in 1986). That means, you can say that - with white serial - your modell of 8676 is showing the plane as it looked like after another local overhaul, say sometimes in the late 1980s, perhaps even early 1990s.

Thanks Tom, I will stick with the White Serial Nos, but with a fuel tank on the centre line pylon.

Forgot to mention, the black line decals around the Orange patched have been applied, hopefully photos tomorrow.

Edited by Jabba

Most of the major decals are now applied, just the Serial Nos to go then the stencilling. I don't know how much of that I will put on but there will be a few. I have also noticed another biggish mistake, but I will not say what it is right now.

MiG21037_zpsc8c3c0d8.jpg

MiG21038_zpsb4965068.jpg

MiG21039_zpsaba44b6e.jpg

Mmmh.... 'biggish mistake'?

Perhaps roundels on top wing surfaces are too far inboard (they were usually applied further outboard), but that's not that much of a problem - though the only one I was able to find...

Ouch my eyes hurt. After two days of applying stencils, I still have not finished on the fuselage yet. I have taken the decision not to add stencils to the Orange/Black panel areas, unless anyone with more information knows better. I do wish that Eduard had put some of the closer stencils as one decal, but I think that it is to do with this being the stencil sheet for lots of their models. Still more to apply, so I had better get a move on.

I'm not yet as far as to start my in-depth research into 'post-1973 times' of the Egyptian Air Force. So, I can't tell you when and where were orange-black panells applied (i.e. if this happened at squadron-level or back in maintenance workshops). Plus, available photos are simply not good enough to show whether maintenance stencils were in their place in these areas, or not.

Thus, sorry: can't say anything conclusive in this regards.

Though even if: there were only some 6-7 inscriptions on either side of the fin, and perhaps 3-4 around wing-tips. Although usually applied on each new aircraft, they were as often not re-applied after overhauls (and re-painting), and even less so if the plane arrived in Egypt without camo, and was then received its coat of camo colours in Egypt.

I don't envy that stencil Job! Fortunately mine was Camo applied in the field as per Tom comment above so I missed most of that stage!

Doh how I wished I had said that. Got some more stencilling done this afternoon, only the underwings and pylons to do, so hopefully not much more.

Well eyes can go back to normal now as all the stencils that I am going to put on this model are on.

A question though as I will soon be applying the varnish, what are the Orange panels, Gloss, Satin or Matt?

A couple of pictures of the model with all the stencils applied (if you can see them), and yes I did get a few in the wrong place as I did not quite see where the red line of the instructions ended. Here also are photos of the Sidewinders and the ejection seat.

MiG21040_zpscc59c31d.jpg

MiG21041_zps4f10062e.jpg

MiG21042_zps8d931004.jpg

MiG21043_zps78a0f942.jpg