Yet again another Eduard 1/48th MiG 21 MF

Jabba

Adding some of the parts to the upper wing the other night I had a slight problem when one of them went ping and disappeared. After a valiant search I could not find it and so went up into the loft and fished out an Eduard PFM kit. I then got the part I wanted from this kit. I now have the problem that when I come to build the PFM model I will already be missing a part.

Does anyone know how good Eduard are with replacement parts?

Yup, H78 is the best equivalent (known to me) to BS381C/283 - which was the green shade applied on these early MiG-21MFs (and Ms) delivered to Egypt in period 1970-1973.

Thanks for the confirmation, just need the Dk Brown now.

Very good.

Oh, and before I forget: these Egyptian MiG-21MFs are armed with AIM-9Ns and AIM-9Ps - and that already since 1981 or so.

Yes, no mistake here (and you read it right): with US-made Sidewinders.

So, please keep that in mind if intending to prepare any kind of weaponry for this one: no R-3S/AA-2 Atolls, no thin launch rails for them, but late export AIM-9 Sidewinders, with corresponding launch rails.

Very good.

Oh, and before I forget: these Egyptian MiG-21MFs are armed with AIM-9Ns and AIM-9Ps - and that already since 1981 or so.

Yes, no mistake here (and you read it right): with US-made Sidewinders.

So, please keep that in mind if intending to prepare any kind of weaponry for this one: no R-3S/AA-2 Atolls, no thin launch rails for them, but late export AIM-9 Sidewinders, with corresponding launch rails.

Now that is very interesting, will have to find a couple of them. Which launch rails should I use?

Hell, that's a good question. I've seen only a few (2, perhaps 3) photos of Egyptian MiG-21s with armament, taken since 1981 - and I'm anything but a 'buff' when it comes to US-equipment (except you want to talk about Iranian F-14s :P). Think it's some sort of 'adaptation' of the Aero III launch rail (like used on inboard underwing pylon of F-4C/D/E variants of USAF Phantoms), though turned for 90 degrees along its longitudional axis, of course.

They're definitely shorter than old rails for R-3S', and have a rounded front part.

There is also a plug in between the hardpoint and the rail, as can be seen on this photo:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5397/mig21withaim9.jpg

Cracking progress

Akan you can get from costal crafts, no webstore so drop them a mail

[email protected]

Phil

Do you know what exact Akan colours i would require to paint the egyptian scheme? The reason I ask is that there seem to be so much choice with the akan range that I am getting a little confused.

Do you know what exact Akan colours i would require to paint the egyptian scheme? The reason I ask is that there seem to be so much choice with the akan range that I am getting a little confused.

Have a look at Bosse's build he was trying to figure out the AKAN paints, I had a quick look but couldn't find his conclusion!

They look like the LAU rails, standard for sidewinders. I think the Hasegawa weapons set with the winders in might have them

I have had a look in the sets that I have and no rails are provided, pity. The strange thing is that I have in the not too distant past build two Hasegawa Phantoms and I have not used the sidewinder rails, the odd part about this is that I usually keep the parts that I don't use, but can I find these. No, still I will keep on looking as they must be somewhere.

Have a look at Bosse's build he was trying to figure out the AKAN paints, I had a quick look but couldn't find his conclusion!

I have had a look but there is nothing as yet, so I have posed the question to him.

Thanks, I have had a look and things do seem a bit clearer now. Do you know how long it would take for the paints to come to the UK from Finland if I ordered from there. I know it is a long shot, but a rough idea would be fine.

I've got the my MF ready for painting, but I've not bought the right colours.

And I'm just about broke until payday. :weep:

So I'll be building my Bis until I can order more little bottles from Helsinki.

/Bosse

A few pictures of the progress so far. I think that I am close to painting this, but I don't have the paints as yet. I also still have to fill and sand the nose ring, but that won't take too long. I have made the ejection seat and will post pictures of that when I get a bit more time. There is one small problem with the ejection seat and that is that it does not fit the cockpit, or at least I can't get it in there at the moment. must try harder.

MiG21020_zpse84fbab4.jpg

MiG21021_zps379e3471.jpg

Edited by Jabba

I've got the my MF ready for painting, but I've not bought the right colours.

And I'm just about broke until payday. :weep:

So I'll be building my Bis until I can order more little bottles from Helsinki.

/Bosse

The main problem that I have is that if I don't start painting soon it will mess up my production process of other builds.

OK.

In such case, I'm sorry to say that the box cover (and painting guide) for '8627' are actually of no use at all. The pattern (i.e. distribution of colours over different parts of the airframe), is OK, but colours definitely not. They are simply not corresponding to anything I know about that plane (8627), and thus making no sense to me.

The 8627 belonged to a small batch of MiG-21MFs overhauled immediately after the October 1973 War, and painted in a unique mix of colours, not all details of which have been 'de-coded'. That means I can't provide a precise 'translation' of all the colours used on that plane to the BS or FS. But, crystal clear colour prints showing that plane were very obvious:

- Yellow Sand (BS381C/388, say 1x H103 + 1x H94 + 1x H121)

- Dark Grey (Humbrol 32),

- Green (BS381C/283, which is Humbrol 78),

- Medium Grey (Humbrol 64),

- Orange (Humbrol 82), and

- H116 for dielectric surfaces (conus, antennas etc.).

That said, and gauging by what can be seen on this box cover - and then not by the MiG-21MF in foreground but the one in the background - it seems the kit designer actually meant something quite different. As mentioned above, this is making absolutely no sense to me (except the kit designer saw only b&w photos of 8627). But, gauging by the fact that the sand and light green colours on the rear MiG-21 are the same like those on the front plane, conclusion is on hand that the kit designer concluded that 8627 was painted in same colours like MiG-21MFs that still wore the standardized camo pattern applied at the factory in the USSR, before delivery to Egypt. These colours were:

- Yellow sand (BS381C/388)

- Green (BS381C/283), and

- Light Admiralty Grey (BS381C/697), with dielectric panels in usual 'Green' (H116).

_Theoretically_ (and stress here is really on 'theory') the fourth, Dark Green shade would then be Black Green (BS381C/298).

I can confirm that a number of EAF MiG-21MFs were painted in such a combination. But, this was not the case with 8627.

Edited by Tom Cooper

The main thing tha I would like to make is the paint scheme, if there is a different aircraft No then i might be able to cobble together some other decals to make this number. You have also made me very interested in a AIM-9 carrying aircraft, but could this be in the same scheme?