1/72nd scale English Electric Lightning F3 (111sqn)

With all the talk of the new Airfix Lightning releases and the suitability to convert the new F2A to other variants, I thought I'd take an easier route and build this ex-Maintrack Models (now Whirlykits) resin F3 of Treble One Squadron.

I've built this kit in the markings of one based at RAF Wattisham, Suffolk, in 1965. I was inspired at the RAF Leuchars airshow when I saw a Lightning in the static in these colours. It's just a shame it didn't fire up the Avons and disappear vertically into the blue above!

This is nicely moulded resin kit, with white metal undercarriage and ejector seat. I used the Whirlykits refuelling probe as this wasn't provided, and an Xtradecal sheet for the markings. Humbrol metalcote was used for the dull aluminium airframe, with various panels picked out in other silvers.

DSC_4828.jpg

DSC_4830.jpg

DSC_4832.jpg

DSC_4833.jpg

DSC_4836.jpg

DSC_4838.jpg

DSC_4839.jpg

DSC_4841.jpg

My favourite aircraft in my favourite squadron colours.

Rob

• Like 9

Very nice, I think this is the best livery for a lightning. They look lovely with black top and tails and the lightning strike under the canopy with the roundel and yours suffices extremely well. Excellent work.

Really great Lightning and a very handsome scheme. I've built the Maintrack F1 and P1B but neither are as good as this! Got the T4 in the stash too. Pretty nice models although sanding the nose ring and cone to release from the resin block was a bit laborious. Overall I think the shape looks pretty much spot on with these kits.

Nice work.