Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Greetings.

My participation in this Group Build will serve little purpose other than to counterbalance the landslide of Eduard masterpieces taking part :bleh: and to get rid of some loft insulation.

The starting point is that old pony, OEZ Lethorad's MiG-21 MF/SMT/bis, which for years has been the only way to represent a late model Fishbed.

For those unfamiliar with its appearance:

12258216635_20ef0d3e68_c.jpg

12258739136_10fff26a44_c.jpg

12258726936_12b42e065d_c.jpg

12258809896_de68383589_c.jpg

(Clicking on the images above will lead you to a high-res version).

The optional canopies:

12258344973_0f90947c80_c.jpg

The surface detail:

12258332253_7910cb7a52_c.jpg

The external loads:

12258715116_0b3cddb9c5_c.jpg

12258192085_656c9f484b_c.jpg

Other than some well documented problems with the shape (wrong fuselage section, canopy size, and tail surfaces sweep) and fit (multiplied sevenfold if you're doing a bis or SMT), the kit has an odd feature in which all the mating surfaces of the wings and tail fin have an inner ridge that will prevent you from getting the right section. To my knowledge there is only one way to overcome this:

12258703526_26877c92f0_c.jpg

Before and after:

12258276093_cc683c8234_c.jpg

Before and after - the outcome:

12258679146_b0e4d2190d_c.jpg

One of the MiGs will be all buttoned up, undercarriage included, so I did the wings as well:

12258667646_68087d43bc_c.jpg

12258516224_902130732b_c.jpg

And that's all for today...

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

some fairly brutal surgery but it's paid off!

You ain't seen nothing yet :whistle: the floor is currently covered in a fine layer of Fishbed grindings...

Re the schemes: nothing exotic, I think I'll stick to Mother Russia unless the reference dictates otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Managed to slip in a bit of work this week...

The "all-closed" Fishbed has had the cockpit opening reworked in order to fit the spare canopy from an Eduard kit. I can't say I'm satisfied with how it turned out - the new canopy only makes the narrow nose look even punier in comparison - but since the fit of the original canopy is abysmal to say the least, it was worth trying.

12392395763_1bac6aaf18_c.jpg

Because of the need to fill over the canopy frame, I'm left with the thought of how to deal with the inevitable gap on the inside.

12392381413_45b9f065c1_c.jpg

This side is nearly done:

12392365943_2f1bc3d887_c.jpg

Another MiG is going to be an SMT, the "family truckster" version of the -21. The reason for it - it's the version I built in my first encounter with this kit, and I failed miserably: so this is gonna be a rematch.

Armed with the foreknowledge of the trickiest points, I started by cutting the MF spine from the fuselage.

I used the same tool I use for rescribing: the tip of a hobby knife, from the blunt side. Pass, pass, pass, pass, till the fuselage neatly separates in two:

12392264163_e4c7fc9c45_c.jpg

Next, the SMT spine has to be beveled from the inside. Here is the comparison with an unmodified piece:

12392093265_2c8225af40_c.jpg

You can see what a difference a few minutes' work makes:

12392220423_8e9c376083_c.jpg

12392528524_a81ff36bea_c.jpg

The larger spine means some modifications have to be carried out on the fin. A little 'oopsie', but nothing as bad as the first time around...

(FYI, only the aft gap is my mistake, the front one come straight from the factory!)

12392019555_eb63ee8d6b_c.jpg

Here I trim the opposite size to match.

In case you wonder, the OEZ company is still around, making electrical accessories (the kits were a one-off side business, just like FREMS's MB.339). Perhaps this is the reason for the thickness of the plastic? It looks like it could insulate you from a thunderbolt...

12392006325_2eaf8cd0d8_c.jpg

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I thinned the wheel wells:

12392032075_36474ba73d_c.jpg

And now for something completely different:

12392496724_9b534331b3_c.jpg

12392277783_e157f98525_c.jpg

12392585154_0cb1ba0fc8_c.jpg

12392598864_20ef044d5c_c.jpg

12392317813_c8875bbb23_c.jpg

12392629764_9a9f8c7a00_c.jpg

12392350603_33d740d2e0_c.jpg

The hatched parts may or may not be the next to go, depending on reference.

So far it hasn't been difficult. The hard part will be adding stuff to make up for what is gone...

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...