A brace of Airfix 1/72 Bf110s - Father and Daughter post Christmas Project

My 11yr old daughter decided that she wanted to build a model plane, so off we went to the local Hobbycraft with some Christmas money burning a hole in her pocket. After much deliberation, she settled on the Airfix Bf110C-2 - purely because she likes the shark's teeth on the nose! Also on the shelf was the Bf110E-2 Trop, so I decided that we would do a parallel build together.

She's done the vast majority of the cutting and trimming of parts (new knife skills for her and palpitations for me!), she used my airbrush to paint it (Lifecolour and Tamiya acrylics), did all her own glueing and sanding. When it came to the canopy we used the painted Sellotape method (thanks to my 1974 Airfix book of plastic modelling) which looks great. No help was given with the decals except for the shark's teeth which needed a few cuts and a drop of Micro Sol.

My model was done in the same way with a bit of pre and post shading, plus oils to highlight the panel lines. The kits went together very well and, in my opinion, look very good together on the shelf!

We'll have to see where this takes her...

image-3.jpg

Concentrating hard...

image-6.jpg

image-12.jpg

image-13.jpg

image-9.jpg

• Like 22

Very tidy builds - may I ask how many other kits she has built previously?

She's done a pre-painted snap together kit before but not a 'proper' model. She does other crafts though and took to this really well. Her airbrushing was a little hit and miss, but her brush painting for details was really good. I wish my dad had had the same tools when I built kits at her age!

• Like 1

"She does other crafts though and took to this really well."

That's the key, isn't it? That shot of her hands says so much. I 'helped' my 11-year old nephew with a build a few months ago, his training is entirely X-Box related. I soon realised it was going to be very slow going because he couldn't even hold a knife, or squeeze glue out of a tube. He struggled with even the concept of instructions and following diagrams and mostly he tried to glue arts together other than how they were supposed to line up.

Even if they never make another model, these are the skills modelling teaches. I have been renovating our house, and I work on cars and motorbikes, and in all these situations I often reflect on how modelmaking has given me a good start.

I salute you and your daughter (and the people who do the box art at Airfix, who clearly know what sells a kit).

• Like 6

Cherish the moment!

Fantastic build and a very talented young lady.

Better hide your stash quick smart once the bug has bitten and all that.

I just wish I could get the eldest of my two children to even show the slightest interest,

Rick G

She's done a pre-painted snap together kit before but not a 'proper' model. She does other crafts though and took to this really well. Her airbrushing was a little hit and miss, but her brush painting for details was really good. I wish my dad had had the same tools when I built kits at her age!

Well done indeed. I cant remember what age I started building, but I certainly didnt have the same level of skill at that age. I can certainly remember the old tubes of polystyrene cement (which got everywhere except where you wanted it), and gluey fingerprints on the canopy. But I certainly never had an airbrush or access to one, all hairy brush and smelly old enamel paints with turps to clean the brushes. My old room smelled a little bit back then from the fumes.

• Like 3

That's the key, isn't it? That shot of her hands says so much. I 'helped' my 11-year old nephew with a build a few months ago, his training is entirely X-Box related. I soon realised it was going to be very slow going because he couldn't even hold a knife, or squeeze glue out of a tube. He struggled with even the concept of instructions and following diagrams and mostly he tried to glue arts together other than how they were supposed to line up.

Even if they never make another model, these are the skills modelling teaches. I have been renovating our house, and I work on cars and motorbikes, and in all these situations I often reflect on how modelmaking has given me a good start.

I salute you and your daughter (and the people who do the box art at Airfix, who clearly know what sells a kit).

Exactly my thoughts as well. When you see that photo of her working you clearly see that she's got the talent and has a natural way of working with her hands and tools. That is a truly fantastic photo! And the finished result speak for itself. I hope we will see more of her work in the future.

:speak_cool::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Firstly thanks to Andy.M and his daughter for posting this. Clearly there is much love between Dad and his girl and much pride too. My daughter is about to turn 10 and loves craft and making things and painting stuff and that's what modelling really is. Completely agree about the skills you learn...reading, following instructions, control, eye hand co-ordination, painting, researching, building things, completing a project, patience, pride.....so much more than shoot 'em up and blast them on some xbox thing. It's fantastic to do a cool craft with your daughter and for her to learn these skills.....any time spent with the kids is invaluable and it means so much to them. For the record my fave is the 110C-2.......I'm a sucker for the shark's mouth too!!!

• Like 2

Firstly thanks to Andy.M and his daughter for posting this. Clearly there is much love between Dad and his girl and much pride too. My daughter is about to turn 10 and loves craft and making things and painting stuff and that's what modelling really is. Completely agree about the skills you learn...reading, following instructions, control, eye hand co-ordination, painting, researching, building things, completing a project, patience, pride.....so much more than shoot 'em up and blast them on some xbox thing. It's fantastic to do a cool craft with your daughter and for her to learn these skills.....any time spent with the kids is invaluable and it means so much to them. For the record my fave is the 110C-2.......I'm a sucker for the shark's mouth too!!!

It's fantastic to see young people today learning these sort of skills, and also enjoying it and doing it well, and not least to see their parents taking pride in learning and encouraging them. Some days I tend to think most kids are just glued to strange TV-computer-xbox-games and not doing much else, but I get very happy when I see that's not always the case. I'm sure that the youngsters who get the chance, and take that chance, to learn and enjoy these skills will have much better conditions and abilities later in life.

The shark mouths are always great schemes. I did my first when I was about 10, on a P-41, and it was the shark mouth that made me get that kit.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all of the positive comments. I've just found out that my daughter has bought an Airfix P51 Mustang - with shark's teeth! There's a bit of a theme starting here. Will keep you posted...

• Like 2

Congratulations Andy and Little Girl!!"!

Really a very well talented girl and a wonderful patient father, now you have no excuses to stop building model kits and the more important thing: both of you could have quality time to enjoy together. I love the way you have finished those nice models, really wondeful ones, and I am so enthusiast about them that I have reserved both at My Local Hobby Shop, hope they would have finished the half as good as yours.

BTW, I was wondering about the next project for the team

Cheers,

A great pair of aircraft, and a lovely project, she's done a particularly fine job there :) I'm glad I'm not the only person who buys models purely on the fact it has a sharks teeth decal!!

I think this is a great little kit, perfect for beginners. I really enjoyed mine, and the details, although a bit basic and very chunky, look fine when finished imho.

Nice work!

Val