Harriers GR3 in Falkland War

Linus

Hi Folks,
please anybody to know which are the modifies to make on the GR3 to use in conflict of Falkland? I think that the GR3 was inbarcate on carriers, so the more external modificate, were for to fix the planes on the carrier deck. If anyone knows anything about ....... thank you all :pilot:

Cheers

Linus

Squadron insignia was painted out and extra antennas were added. Some jets replaced one of the external cannon pods with a radar jammer (Blue Eric IIRC). They also used RN rocket pods rather than their usual ones. I probably missed a few things (chaff/flare dispensers on some jets?), so you should check at the Harrier SIG for more information. LINK HERE

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1

Murph's correct, additionally a small fairing was added on the lower part of the LRMTS nose - this was an "I-Band transponder" to give the aircraft a friendly signature upon approach to HMS Hermes. Also chain tie "eyes" were added to the outrigger legs - similar to the Sea Harrier. Tracor ALE-40(V)4 chaff/flare dispensers were added in recesses near the air-brakes. Only four GR3's had "Blue Eric" installed in the front part of the Starboard gun-pod.

These amendments are included in the new Airfix kit (well, apart from Blue Eric that is!)

89691362-db4e-43e6-940c-1f285fb5fbef_zps

• Like 3

Hi guys,

a really big thank you, for all your valuable informations. In the first time I think add only chain tie to the outriggers legs like the Sea Harrier.

Thanks again Murph and Bill

Cheers :winkgrin:

Linus

Thanks Colin.

There have been already a few topic here on BM that did mention the Blue Éric pod, but so far I still have no idea about what this pod look like!

Was nearly thinking that it was no different in shape than the usual gun pod.

If you release it, my problem is over!

Blue Eric was carried by XZ133, XV778, XZ992 and XW919. It took it's name from the Project team leader, S/L Eric Annal, and fitted elements of the Tornado Sky Shadow pod into a Harrier Gunpod. The pod had a semicircular blade aerial beneath the pod, and is distinguished by a radar warning triangle on the forward end. there are relatively few pics of it, the three I know of are in Alfred Price's 'Harrier at War' book. It is not thought to have been used operationally, although carried.

• Like 1

Thank you Dave Fleming,

this is a very interesting new, for my project, again one question, these four Harries partecipated in the Falkland War?

Cheers

Linus :popcorn:

Yes indeed. All four are featured on Xtradecal Sheet X72073 & X48058

For the record the codes of the four aircraft mentioned are;

XZ133 "Red 10", XV778 "Red 16", XZ992 "Red 05" and XW919 "Red 03". Both "Red 05" and "Red 03" had bullet holes to prove they were there!!