Speed Spitfire conversion for Tamiya 1/48

C460

Hi all,

I've started to convert Tamiya's 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I into the Speed Spitfire N17.

For the four-blade propeller and the large radiator fairing, I made only slow progress through traditional scratchbuild techniques, so I decided to take a different route.

I made a 3D model of these two parts and had them 3D-printed.

piegraveces_speed_spitfire_3D_zps2ea1b76

The shape was well rendered but the surface needed smoothing. This took quite a lot of time.

Now I have a complete set of parts, ready for casting:
IMGP2448_zps5d43a316.jpg

There is all is needed to build a Speed Spitfire in its first configuration, except the special canopy that is sold by Falcon:
speed_spitfire_v1a_ph1_fana109_p14_zps21

- the four-blade propeller
IMGP2451_zps59902bec.jpg

- the large radiator fairing
IMGP2454_zps378ccd9e.jpg

IMGP2453_zps92f39f02.jpg

Other parts were converted from Tamiya parts:
- the shortened wing tips
IMGP2457a_zpsa56e03d1.jpg

- the special oil cooler, carburettor intake and tail skid
IMGP2455_zps7ec6a9c1.jpg

The oil cooler should have two engraved lines, but I'm afraid of damaging the pattern. I'll try to add them to a casting later.

The parts should fit the Tamiya wing, the two radiators dropping into the depressed slots made for the original parts :
IMGP2460_zps29b4139f.jpg

The central portion of the wing was merely filled and primed, I don't plan to cast this part.

I'm currently studying the best way to make the molds. I've already cast minor parts before but this will be the first time I cast something that difficult.

Adrien

• Like 11

Thank you for your comments! :)

Nick, MirageF1, Bob and Mark, I take good note, I'll cast some for you.
Please be patient though, I will need some time to sort out the casting process.

Those parts look great! The only thing I miss is the small gap between the prop blades and the spinner, do you think that's possible to do and still have it made as one solid part?

The propeller is made of wood, and there is no gap between the blades and spinner. The front part of the spinner is detachable, as shown by some pictures of the aircraft under maintenance:

speed_spitfire_article_air_international

To figure that, you may want to add an engraved line around the spinner, right in front of the blades, though the demarcation is not really visible on the pictures showing the complete propeller. I will try to add that on a casting.

Are you 3D-printing the exhausts as well?

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that the exhausts were not specific to the Speed Spitfire, and that any Spitfire Mk.I exhaust would do, such as Tamiya's or Ultracast's.

speed_spitfire_v1a_ph2_fana444_p28-29_ea

Adrien

• Like 1

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that the exhausts were not specific to the Speed Spitfire, and that any Spitfire Mk.I exhaust would do, such as Tamiya's or Ultracast's.

speed_spitfire_v1a_ph2_fana444_p28-29_ea

Adrien

I haven't seen that side on photo quite so clear before, so it has been difficult to fully interpret for me. That looks like more standard exhausts. Maybe it changed during development, or I am seeing something that is not there? This cut below is apparently from an airplane show before the war where she was displayed on a pole (with a special three blade propeller) and I think those exhausts look a bit larger, more angled out from the fuselage than normal. But perhaps she was never flown that way, or I think I see something that is not the case?

exhaust.jpg

Oh I see, then I would love to buy your parts in the future! Right now there's too many upcoming builds.

Erik, Thank you for your interest. :)

I haven't seen that side on photo quite so clear before, so it has been difficult to fully interpret for me. That looks like more standard exhausts. Maybe it changed during development, or I am seeing something that is not there? This cut below is apparently from an airplane show before the war where she was displayed on a pole (with a special three blade propeller) and I think those exhausts look a bit larger, more angled out from the fuselage than normal. But perhaps she was never flown that way, or I think I see something that is not the case?

exhaust.jpg

Jörgen, I've just realized that it's you who posted pictures of that extraordinary 1/24 Speed Spitfire last year. Congratulations, the paint job is perfect and it is one of the best looking models I've seen. :thumbsup:

Your build was inspirational in my decision to tackle this project.

About the exhausts, the picture you posted is a bit troubling, but maybe it's the peculiar angle of view which makes them look unusual.

Here is an extract from another picture of the aircraft, taken at the same exhibition. I don't really see a difference with Mk.I exhausts. Incidentally, the picture gives a good view of two of the parts that I'm trying to reproduce.

speed_spitfire_v1c_ph22_fana444_p31_crop

For my build, I think that I will simply use Mk.I exhausts and adjust their position so that they stick out from the right amount.

But I know there are real Spitfire experts on this forum, maybe some of them will give a definitive answer.

Adrien

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've started to convert Tamiya's 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I into the Speed Spitfire N17.

Now I have a complete set of parts, ready for casting:

There is all is needed to build a Speed Spitfire in its first configuration, except the special canopy that is sold by Falcon:

- the four-blade propeller

- the large radiator fairing

Other parts were converted from Tamiya parts:

- the shortened wing tips

IMGP2457a_zpsa56e03d1.jpg

- the special oil cooler, carburettor intake and tail skid

IMGP2455_zps7ec6a9c1.jpg

The oil cooler should have two engraved lines, but I'm afraid of damaging the pattern. I'll try to add them to a casting later.

The parts should fit the Tamiya wing, the two radiators dropping into the depressed slots made for the original parts :

IMGP2460_zps29b4139f.jpg

The central portion of the wing was merely filled and primed, I don't plan to cast this part.

I'm currently studying the best way to make the molds. I've already cast minor parts before but this will be the first time I cast something that difficult.

Adrien

Hi Adrien

this is very interesting, the 3-D parts are very good indeed.

But, I don't understand why you made separate tips?

The speed wing is shorter, so it's just a case of reshaping the tip and adjusting the aileron line, I scanned and rescaled some drawings in The Spitfire Story for this.

The new oil cooler just looks like the type as fitted to the Mk V BTW.

I have contemplated doing this conversion, but using the old Airfix VB kit as a base, it has raised panel lines, which as the panels were filled and rubbed down on the real thing, will save a lot of filling on the tamiya kit.

It also has a more accurate basic shape, though would need the thrust line on nose reducing [sand cowl top down by about 1mm, reshape front] and the rudder and tailplanes are a bit thick , but use leftover ICM or Eduard parts as cheap and easy fix for this, both of these kits have the early and late style rudder and tailplanes included, if you do the late version then these bits are spare ;)

the Tamiya wing is too broad, and the fuselage a bit too fat and short. Not much, but noticeable if compared against a correctly shaped kit.

Do you still need a Falcon Canopy though? May have one spare.

cheers

Troy

Hi Troy,

There are certainly many other routes for a conversion. I happened to start with Tamiya's kit because I have one and I'm satisfied with its overall quality.

I traced drawings of the wing tips from the available wingspan data and from pictures showing the aircraft in flight. I will post those drawings here once they are cleaned up. I found that there is no need to adjust the aileron line, and the wing tips are merely reshaped. I thought it easier to separate those from the main wing to maintain symmetry and ensure that I was removing the right amount from both sides.

The oil cooler is indeed quite similar to that fitted to the Mk.V, except it is longer and extends up to the flap hinge. I used Tamiya's Mk.V oil cooler as a basis. The intake was reshaped with plastic tubing because Tamiya's part is not very convincing in my opinion, the central portion was fattened and the rear was extended.

Apart from the 3D parts, probably none of those modifications is very difficult, depending on one's own modelling level. However I thought it would be fun to share with others and make a complete set of parts. :) If you are interested, I can cast the radiator and propeller alone, though the radiator may need some minor adjustment to fit a different kit.

Thank you also for the offer of a Falcon canopy. I already have one myself and won't need it, but maybe others might be interested in the offer.

Adrien

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Edge,

Thank you for your interest in this project.

Because of my inexperience with mold-making, I ran into many problems with mold design, resin quality, etc. Notably the hollow wing tips were deformed by the application of vacuum and I had to rebuild them before the project was shelved by lack of time.

I only managed to obtain one good copy of the small parts for myself, and enough leftover usable bits to make a second set, that fellow member Roadrunner from the French forum master194 convinced me to send him for this build:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234993597-speed-spitfire-148/

Because of Roadrunner's recent efforts and because I have a bit more time now, I've unshelved the parts and I'm currently rethinking the mold design to make a second attempt. If I succeed, I'll contact you and the people who expressed interest above. If not, maybe I'll pass along the parts to a professional resin caster, I don't know.

Adrien

Edited by C460

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Adrien

So sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't receive notification of your reply.

I'm pleased you were able to produce at least one usable set, plus spares for Roadrunner. I am following his build on Britmodeller, which sparked my interest.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your next attempt, if you make one, is successful.

Very best regards

Edge

• 4 years later...

Hi @wellsprop. In short this build didn't go anywhere on my side, and I got discouraged.

I managed to make only two good sets, one of which was used by a French modeller for this build:

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t75433-speed-spitfire-1-48

(work in progress)

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t88796-supermarine-type-323-speed-spitfire-1-48

(finished)

Yes I can share the files for printing, please send me a PM to tell me a bit more.

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2020 at 21:22, C460 said:

Hi @wellsprop. In short this build didn't go anywhere on my side, and I got discouraged.

I managed to make only two good sets, one of which was used by a French modeller for this build:

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t75433-speed-spitfire-1-48

(work in progress)

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t88796-supermarine-type-323-speed-spitfire-1-48

(finished)

Yes I can share the files for printing, please send me a PM to tell me a bit more.

PM inbound :)