Eduard Fokker E.V/D.VIII, 1/48 -- Polish Kosciuszko Squadron, 1919

A gift from my 2013 Secret Santa over on UAMF -- thanks, whoever you are!

low-front-right-XL.jpg

low-rear-left-XL.jpg

high-front-left-XL.jpg

low-front-right-3-XL.jpg

very-low-right-XL.jpg

very-low-rear-right-2-XL.jpg

high-rear-right-2-X2.jpg

underneath-X2.jpg

In the markings of Cpt Stefan Bastyr, of Poland's No. 7. "Kosciuszkowske" Squadron, fighting on the Russian Front in 1919/20... I already have a WW2 Kosciuszko Sqn Hurricane and Spifire RF-D, so this was the obvious choice from the markings offered in the kit.

The "interesting" upper and lower wing "camouflage" is my interpretation of recent research on Fokker production colours. Apparently the plywood wings were simply painted with furniture stain, in green and brown for the upper surface, purple and blue for the lower. The uneven coverage is simply the way the wood absorbed stain... there is actually some "grain" painted below the Citadel wash "stain", but it's not as visible as it might be!

bestest,

M.

• Like 7

Thanks, folks! This was a build quite a long way out of my comfort zone... If anyone tries to tell you that this is an ideal first WW1 kit for a novice, because there's no rigging, box them roundly on the ears and say "pish, tush, nonsense...!" I'd take a nice solid, self-jigging biplane any day. That top wing is attached at four points, about 0.5mm in diameter. The front V strut and single bar kinda triangulate, but there is no solid location for the lower end of the single strut. The rear single strut is supposed to fit above the rear undercarriage strut, but both vaguely locate into one slot in the fuselage side. In short, it's a blinking' miracle it's on there at all, never mind vaguely level. (If you look carefully, the leading edge is slightly lower than it should be, I think. The wing should be parallel to the front decking top, and it's not, quite.)

I'm also now FIRMLY of the belief that 1/32, 1/28 or even 1/24 are the right scale for WW1 aircraft -- things like the control horns and cables are just too small for me to ackle in 1/48...

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 1

That is superb!

Pete