S&M Models 1/144 Viscount - BEA Red Square

I have been trying to complete a number of long standing builds and this has been on the back burner for quite a while. I finally completed it a couple of days ago. It's the S&M Models kit and I have used Two-Six decals.

I hope that you like it, next up will be the Airfix MiG-15 which I will be working on between my MiG-21 builds for the STGB.

CIMG2264_zps5d821533.jpg

CIMG2266_zps370d3609.jpg

CIMG2272_zps47a0b3a7.jpg

CIMG2269_zpsff1e96a3.jpg

CIMG2268_zps171dabcb.jpg

• Like 12

Nice effort, brings back memories of a great aircraft and colour scheme.

• Like 2

Nice effort, brings back memories of a great aircraft and colour scheme.

Thanks for your comment. It reminds me of days spent on the end of the International Pier, at a time when spectators where allowed within the airport, at Ringway collecting registration codes and highlighting them in my copy of Civil Aviation Registrations (Ian Allen - I think). Anorak or what. :D

• Like 2

Thanks for your comment. It reminds me of days spent on the end of the International Pier, at a time when spectators where allowed within the airport, at Ringway collecting registration codes and highlighting them in my copy of Civil Aviation Registrations (Ian Allen - I think). Anorak or what. :D

Great days in a lot of ways.

• Like 1

I remember the pier at Ringway, great days. Most of my spotting was done at Leeds Bradford and Viscounts are forever in Northeast livery.

Now you are talking. You probably spotted me there as well....

• Like 1

Great little kit that, and nice job on her.

I flew on a Viscount once, mid sixties, and although quite young my memory is of huge picture windows that almost seemed to reach down to the floor.

So much more character back then.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Mike W,

My first flights were in Viscounts to the Isle of Man and back. Like you I remember the huge oval windows; we had seats in line with the engines and it was quite noisy(!). Not sure if our ride was in a BEA, British Eagle or Cambrian aircraft (I was three at the time (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) and can only remember a red cheat line as part of the colour scheme).

Nimrod 54: Thanks for posting those pictures of your model and bringing back memories of a happier and simpler time. Your model's a fine tribute to a splendid aeroplane.

All the best,

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am glad that I wasn't the only anorak back in the 60's/70's and pleased to know that it has brought back memories of spotting days for some of you.

viscount806x what does G-AOYO mean to you?

nimrod54 sorry for the thread hijack but your model does deserve a wider audience, I've shyed away from building one so all I can say is well done.

Silver Fox, don't worry about the thread hijack the model has obviously jogged your memory about something.

Ahhh, Viscount in BEA red square. It doesn't get any better than that!

(And yes I remember going on the pier at Ringway in the 70's too. At least Manchester remains one of the few airports that welcomes and provides for enthusiasts with its aviation viewing park)

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody for their kind comments. Looking at the photographs I think that the kit props look a little over scale, they seemed OK at the time but will have to suffice until I can source something a little better.

viscount806x what does G-AOYO mean to you?

Well my friend, 'YO was on jacks at Marshalls (Cambridge) when I first encountered it in 1968. I was an apprentice at Southend and we went there to install the HD wiring for the modded rear galley, prior to service entry with BKS. I believe it had done a 'wheels up' in BEA service and was having the belly reskinned. The canteen at Marshalls was esoteric. I remember having mock turtle soup at dinner time (we Yorkshiremen have dinner and NOT lunch), quite a refined step for a 17 year old at the time.

Later, 'YO was the last V806X to get the updated VOR/DME fit in 1973 (I was at CWL by now) and it was also the last Viscount to be resprayed in Northeast yellow. I did most of the kit mods personally but not that a/c oddly enough. The boys who did it cocked up the wiring loom behind the cockpit door and when the fitters came to refit the cockpit trim panels they wouldn't go in at that point. A small panel fairing was incorporated to allow this and thus 'YO could always be identified easily on the flight deck by those in the know. Maybe this still holds true with the sad hulk of 'YO as she sits at TFN airfield.

At LBA in the '70s, 'YO continued in BA colours and me with it!

Later on, 'YO had a left maingear collapse on landing (1977?) but was repaired quickly and stayed with BA until 1982 when she went to BAF.

Is that enough anorakishness for you or do you want more? tee hee....

Nige B

• Like 2

Marshalls got the Viscount re spar work contract. It could have been in for spar change. They managed to blow one up, and at least one death, by using an electric vacuum cleaner in the tanks, not one for a good day out!

Marshalls canteen........there was a cook there who couldn't pronounce spaghetti so when it was on the menu we used to make out we couldn't read it so he'd have to say gatsceti. Gatscetti bolognese. Bolognese with a Gee un silent! That canteen was something else, I saw menu's there that I never saw before or since.

• Like 1

very nice indeed, I absolutely love classic British airliners in the BEA liveries, and seeing this makes me feel pleased with mine, and I don't mean that the way it might sound hahaha!

• Like 1

Lovely aircraft and nicely finished model as well. You may still be able to get hold of a set of white metal props from Aeroclub or Welsh Models. Certainly worth a call.

Nice to have a little bit of the aircraft's history as well.

Chris.

• Like 1

Hi nimrod54,

Beautiful! Did you use the two-six detail decals as well?

I was lucky enough to blag my way into getting British Air Ferries to let me fly these! After 700 hours in the right hand seat my mid-range hearing was just about trashed!

The closest reg that I flew to the your VC8 was G-AOHM. After reading about 'YO (above) I had a quick look through the logbook and there is 'YN, 'YP and 'YR but no 'YO. I know she was with BAF but must have left the fleet before I joined in 1990. What happened to her?

• Like 1