LS 1/144 Mig-25 Foxbat - Completed

Build 4

Looks like a nice little kit for it's age, engraved detail, very little flash, crystal clear canopy and good decals (a bit generic though). It doesn't look like I have too much to do other than work on the intakes and nozzles.

Price: £1.60 from eBay.

2014-01-3118201801_zpsfa008aa4.jpg

2014-01-3118204901_zpsb59cfa68.jpg

2014-01-3118203501_zpsc0f0ef8c.jpg

2014-01-3118213401_zps980beaa7.jpg

2014-01-3118214501_zpsd5ef7416.jpg

Edited by Speedman

To start this one off I've weighted the nose, for once in 1/144, I had plenty of room for it :) I've dry fitted the upper and lower fuselage and it's a great fit so I don't expect too many problems with this build.

2014-02-0115422701_zps3039daa8.jpg

2014-02-0115421401_zps2b00acc1.jpg

You just don't get an idea just how big the Foxbat is until you compare it to another aircraft :blink:

2014-02-0115410701_zps3dc26770.jpg

Recall building this kit in the late 80s when all we knew about the Foxbat was it was big, fast and had huge missiles. What more could a teenage wingnut ask for? Other than it to be flown by hot Russian female pilots of course.

Ahem, anyway, no idea how accurate it is but do recall it fitting together very well.

no idea how accurate it is.

Well they got the exhaust nozzles wrong for starters. :lol: I'm not going to worry too much about it, I'm just going to have an enjoyable build and correct obvious things like I have below. :)

I cut the exhausts centres out and added some tubes made out of card, I've also made the three part intake ramps.

2014-02-0423291001_zpsdc096e46.jpg

2014-02-0423274601_zps24f0d5ce.jpg

Edited by Speedman
  • Like 2

Will you build it as Belenko's "Red 31"? :D

Unfortunately the decals don't have the black outline to do Red 31. :(

A few things have sprouted out of the fuselage! I've not glued the exhausts on so they'll be easier to paint when the time comes.

2014-02-0603052401_zps7f746b5d.jpg

Yeah, it's massive! :blink: I'll do a comparison shot once it's finished with something well known to give an idea of the size.

I sprayed the cockpit area, wheel wells and the darks grey bits on the fins and nose yesterday and masked them off ready for the main colour.

2014-02-1101342301_zps05c290d7.jpg

• Like 1

After pre-shading I sprayed the light grey all over followed by a lighter post shade. After this was dry I sealed it with Clear and added a couple of extra coats where the decals would be. After a few hours to thoroughly dry I added the decals. One thing that threw me was that the decals were printed on a continuous sheet, it was great fun cutting around stars that small <_<

2014-02-1122213901_zps8ffb2b7e.jpg

• Like 1

I wasn't happy with how light the grey looked so I covered the decals and dark grey parts with Maskol and gave it a very light spray of Revell 76 Light grey. It's toned the weathered effect down and looks a lot better. Once it was dry I gave the whole model a few coats of Clear.

2014-02-1422422401_zpsd0bf4daa.jpg

It's still quite noticeable but my tablet camera struggles with subtle shading and without daylight it's worse. The original shading was a lot more noticeable than the picture suggested, the light areas were about the same as the photo but the rest were much darker. The overspray has dulled both light and dark tones and made them more natural, once it's finished and I get some shots with my proper camera it should look better.

Even though I do ridiculous things with these tiny scales I don't use magnifiers. :blink: I do have energy saving daylight bulbs with 6400k colour temp which helps when modelling but when it comes to taking RFI pics because I don't have any room, I have to take the photos on the same folding table I model on. I'd love to have a modelling room with decent storage, a good sized modelling bench, spray booth and a photo studio but this is all I've got to play with...

My workbox on top of the "photo" table :P

2013-10-1918_57_35_zpsd81e592e.jpg

I think Airfix got some of the molds but the ended up chunkier somehow.

Airfix managed to do something very strange to them. Look at the canopy on the F-20 Tigershark, it's almost a caricature of what it should be and yet this wasn't the case before they got the moulds.

Even though I do ridiculous things with these tiny scales I don't use magnifiers. :blink: I do have energy saving daylight bulbs with 6400k colour temp which helps when modelling but when it comes to taking RFI pics because I don't have any room, I have to take the photos on the same folding table I model on. I'd love to have a modelling room with decent storage, a good sized modelling bench, spray booth and a photo studio but this is all I've got to play with...

My workbox on top of the "photo" table :P

Dinning table modeller here. It's such a pain getting everything out and packing it away again. I have so much modelling stuff now it is bursting out of cupboards and draws all over the place. In the process of buying our first place and had grand visions for the second bedroom but then she tells me she is pregnant. The modelling studio seems like a very distant dream. :weep:

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1