Messerschmitt Bf 110E G9+JM sharkmouth?

Vanja #66

Hello, everyone!

Here I am with a simple enough question (the answer, however, so far proves to be elusive) - could anyone provide a credible source (picture, article, anything) on whether the aforementioned airplane (Messerschmitt Bf 110E G9+JM) had a sharkmouth nose artwork or not? My search ended with only a single picture of that airplane in action and that specific detail isn't visible (Murphy's law, gotta love it)... If my understanding is correct, this plane was a regular all-black Nachtjager and was only painted with RLM72 for a specific channel dash mission in 1942. Whether sharkmouth was added as well, remains a mystery to me...

Messerschmitt-Bf-110E-Zerstorer-4.NJG1-%

All of the models shown all over the internet built so far had this detail, DuncanB and myself had a little discussion about it on my WIP thread, but haven't been able to reach a satisfying conclusion...

So, if anybody could provide anything he or she might consider useful, I'd be most grateful...

Oh, and, while I'm here trying to get that sorted, could anyone suggest any particular site or an article on riveting on this plane? Managed to find great pictures of it in Touvdal's thread, but only for the upper half and I'd very much like to see how the lower half should be done...

Many thanks in advance,

Vanja

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vanja,

I looked through my copies of Theo Boiten's Nachtjagd War Diaries plus John Vasco and Fernando Eistanislau's Messerschmitt Bf 110 C,D and E An Illustrated Study and Jerry Scutts German Night Fighter Aces of World War 2 books amongst some others that cover the Bf 110. Unfortunately even though I found plenty of pictures of similar aircraft from NJG 1, I couldn't find any that showed the specific aircraft you are seeking information on.

Good Luck with your quest!

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Gents,

I managed to at least find a bird form NJG1 that had sharkmouth, Wilhelm Herget's G9+HM (was D5+ER, NJG3 in December '41.), that even has that yellow band on... Who knows, maybe JM was also transferred from NJG3... Anyway, here's a more detailed post...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953248-messerschmitt-bf-110e-172-eduard-profipack-scratch-build/?p=1550959

And a picture of D5+ER...

1-Bf-110C-7NJG3-D5ER-Luneburg-1942-021.j

And here's how sharkmouth turned out, I'll make some corrections...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953248-messerschmitt-bf-110e-172-eduard-profipack-scratch-build/?p=1570920

Cheers!