1/144 MiG-21MF GDR + 1 other

Here is my entry for the GB one will be in GDR colours and for the other build I can't decide between Slovak or Polish Air Force, I will make the choice later.

Because they are the same type and scale, I thought that I would combine the two builds but if this is a problem then please let me know and I will split them.

Here are the obligatory box and content shots

CIMG2259_zpsd5bc8b23.jpg

Option 1 - German Democratic Republic

CIMG2251_zps7cc1b4d4.jpg

Option 2 Slovak Air Force

CIMG2252_zps2b06cbce.jpg

or Polish Air Force

CIMG2253_zpsedadfc9a.jpg

I am looking forward to making a start on these and, because I am a bit of a slow builder, I hope that I will be able to complete them in good time.

Sorry about the quality of some of the photos, I will do better with the later ones.

OK, made a start on one of these tonight and have put together the seat back, tail and spine assembly and then went for a dry fit of some of the major components.

I need to get some primer on the cockpit parts then I can add the interior colour and try to paint in some of the instrument panel detail and then maybe have a go at adding some of the straps for the seat harness. I'll see how that goes with some masking tape, if I can cut it fine enough.

Seat Back

CIMG2273_zpsc388a98b.jpg

Tail and Spine Assembly

CIMG2274_zpsd2f06382.jpg

Dry fit of major parts

CIMG2276_zps522bafea.jpg

• Like 2

In between visits to kitchen showrooms and looking through brochures, I managed to get some primer and a first coat of paint on the cockpit parts yesterday. I am not happy with the colour though, to me it seems too green but I am not sure if this is just the grey primer showing through. What do you guys think

I used Xtracolor X629 Blue/Green Interior Soviet Aircraft

CIMG2283_zps6fffacfe.jpg

and here is the result of one coat over grey primer on cockpit and fuselage side walls.

CIMG2282_zps80adfa16.jpg

CIMG2281_zpsacaaaec6.jpg

Does anyone have a simple mix for the Turquoise/Blue Green colour? Humbrol paints would be preferable because they are the easiest for me to obtain.

I find it hard to judge from photos on a screen, especially my iPhone! If your gut says it's not right you're probably right!

I've tried a few mixes of colours, I think if you mix a bright blue with a bright green then add white you can't go far wrong!

Now I've got some AKAN interior green from eBay and also bought some of the Mr Paint cockpit green as well, although I'm yet to actually use either of these!

Edited by SaintsPhil

I find it hard to judge from photos on a screen, especially my iPhone! If your gut says it's not right you're probably right!

I've tried a few mixes of colours, I think if you mix a bright blue with a bright green then add white you can't go far wrong!

Now I've got some AKAN interior green from eBay and also bought some of the Mr Paint cockpit green as well, although I'm yet to actually use either of these!

Thanks bud, I have managed to source some Interior Turquiose from White Ensign. I just hope that it doesn't take too long to arrive,still I have some grey bits and pieces to be getting on with. :)

I don't know if this is any help or not, but I have read that a 50/50 mix of Gunze H-46 & H-25 is very close to the colour you're after. For the Eduard PE bit it's an exact match....well I hope it is!

I don't know if this is any help or not, but I have read that a 50/50 mix of Gunze H-46 & H-25 is very close to the colour you're after. For the Eduard PE bit it's an exact match....well I hope it is!

Might be a match for the PE, but I'm not sure how accurate the colour of the PE is to the real thing....

I have a feeling Eduard quote that combination in the instructions for the PFM boxing, possibly the R too, you can get a PDF from their website if you want to check

Might be a match for the PE, but I'm not sure how accurate the colour of the PE is to the real thing....

I have a feeling Eduard quote that combination in the instructions for the PFM boxing, possibly the R too, you can get a PDF from their website if you want to check

Thanks for posting guys. The paint arrived from White Ensign this morning, whilst not perfect it is a closer match than the Xtracolor paint and for this scale it will be good enough. So with rain forecast for most of the UK today I can crack on with repainting the cockpit parts this afternoon.

Just a quick update. In the end I went with the WEM paint colour for the cockpit, it is not as green as should be but I feel that in this scale it is OK. The cockpit is now in place in the right fuselage half and I have also added a harness to the seat back made from lead foil and masking tape.

Further work involved adding some weight in both fuselage halves above the nosewheel bay and I have dropped a few pieces of lead shot inside the shock cone, which has had a first coat of emerald green. Hopefully that should be enough weight to keep it down on it's nosewheel, because there aint a lot of room for more.

Cockpit in place

CIMG2284_zpsacf3d8bf.jpg

Seat back and lead foil harness

CIMG2289_zpsc52fdaab.jpg

Not much done this week. I did manage to assemble the major components of the first model and now need to clean up the joins before a first coat of primer. I was impressed with the fit of the spine, but there is a bit of a step at the fuselage to wing join. Everything seemed OK when I did the dry fit so I think that this was down to me, I'll see how I get on with the second one.

CIMG2308_zpse0b219c2.jpg

Whilst the detail of this kit is adequate I thought that for the second model I would try to add a bit more, and as a result I ordered this which arrived in the post last Saturday.

CIMG2298_zpsd8f8cd92.jpg

I will try to use as much as possible, but some of those parts are a bit tiny. Yesterday, after the best part of an hour searching for one of the ladder parts, the carpet monster almost had another victory when I dropped the completed assembly again, no panic though SWMBO managed to find it - see, despite what we may think women are useful at times. :kissing2: Thank you dearest. Now where's mi dinner? :shutup:

Here are some of the details I've done so far.

CIMG2311_zps1af059a3.jpg

CIMG2312_zps5697a98a.jpg

I won't be around for the next week, we are off to The Netherlands to visit the 'Heir to the Estate'. I'll get some paint ordered when we return and then I can get them finished. They are not as complex as some of the builds here, but I'm having fun and that's what counts.

• Like 1

Wow that's some tidily photo etch! I usually give up with the smaller parts in 1/48 let alone 1/144!!

Yes you're right Phil it is tiny and the thing that I find really awkward is getting sufficient glue on there to stick the part without it being so much that it's all over the shop. I have also added the etch detail to the cockpit side-wall (parts 12,13 on the etch) and the seat harness. Then there are the undercarriage doors which are probably more in scale and will look better than the kit items, again if I can glue them up without getting it everywhere.

I think Eduard have done a great job with this little kit, but these details just take it up a notch especially for those, like me, whose scratch building skills aren't all that brilliant in1/32nd scale let alone 1/144th.

That's exquisite work on the PE

Cheers Neal. We are back from holidays now so I can try and get some more of the details done and also order some paint next week. I am still not sure which version to do for the second model, hopefully I will have that finalised next week too.

• 2 weeks later...

So in-between visits to kitchen showrooms, trying to finish a MiG-15 that is dragging on, building a Britannia for a friend and an ATR-72 for the cabinet, I have managed a bit more on these two rascals.

I am still trying to figure out the final position of the hydraulic lines on the main undercarriage before committing the glue, something that I should have done on the nosewheel instead of charging on like the proverbial bull in a china shop. It will be too difficult to remove, so shh , it's our secret OK. :fight:

Anyway pressing on, I have decided to build one with the canopy closed and the other (the one with the etch cockpit detail) with the canopy open and after masking the canopy on the closed version I have painted the frames with the interior colour that I used. I think that I am going to paint this as the Slovak option in the kit and have decided to split the etch and use some, such as the intake and exhaust covers, on this model.

I have also made a new nose probe from a couple of pieces of Albion Alloys tubing and a bit of 5amp fuse wire. I still need to do a final clean up and blend in the rear of this, but it should be a bit sturdier than the one supplied in the kit, although to be fair to Eduard they do supply a spare. I won't be adding the vanes to this though, that's a bit too much for my ageing eyes. :hypnotised:

Weather permitting, I should hopefully get some primer on at least one of these over the weekend. Then perhaps I can start to think about how to display them.

As always, thanks for looking.

The two kits side by side

CIMG2385_zps783c0295.jpg

The kit and replacement nose probe.

CIMG2384_zps667552eb.jpg

• Like 1

Cracking! Whose is the pitot?

Oh and DO NOT buy a kitchen from B&Q! Nothing but trouble....

Phil, it was scratch built from a couple of pieces Albion Alloys tubing and a bit of 5amp fuse wire.

Funnily enough we have looked at B&Q but have decided against them. We will be looking to source it locally, but thanks for the heads up and confirming what we already suspected.

Cheers Col, like I said I won't be adding the vanes to this - I had enough problems trying to feed the 5amp wire down the end of the tube. Just have to repeat the process for the second model now. :banghead:

Thanks Neal, not too difficult if you use the tubing. My only problem was figuring out how to blend it back to the fuselage. In the end I placed a strip of dymo tape across the marks for fitting the kits probe and scraped a groove between these that was deeper at the back than at the front, the part was then glued in position. I'l check it again after the initial priming stage to see if it needs any further blending, but hopefully it should look OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. I was hoping to have one of these finished by now, but I have had problems with paint on the Slovak version, which has seen me strip the acrylic paint off twice now. :badmood: Back to enamels for now methinks, I will give acrylics another go in the future.