Airfix 1/32 1914 Dennis Fire Engine - FINISHED

My entry for this GB is Airfix's 1/32 1914 Dennis Fire Engine, purchased off eBay a few years ago for £9.

The box shot.

Box01_AirfixFireEngine_zpsdaeb2e69.jpg

The parts, will post a better picture when I start. A number of parts are detached from the sprue and I don't want to tempt the carpet monster by opening the bag before I start.

Parts02_AirfixFireEngine_zpsc731749d.jpg

Not sure what I am going to do about decals, the ones in the box have seen better days.

Parts01_AirfixFireEngine_zpsfcc5bbec.jpg

Edited by snapper_city

Put your decals under a UV light or in a window where the sun can get at them. The UV will bleach the yellowing if not completely, at least until is not really noticeable. The coat them a couple of times with Liquid Decal Film. Let that get really dry and cure and that may save them for use.

• Like 1

Lovely choice and interesting subject. It's a shame about the decals but for such an old kit to be expected. I'm no point of knowledge on saving them unfortunately.

Edited by snapper_city

Great stuff - one of the kits I made when I was young - it probably looked terrible when I'd finished it!! Will watch this with great interest

Kind regards,

Stix

Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb...

:)

Although it should be Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb! I suspect clandestine autocorrect activities on your computer when your back was turned!

Great model though, I wonder how many of us have looked at this kit in the past and put it back down thinking 'maybe next week!'

• Like 1

Unless I'm missing an inside joke I'm pretty sure it is 'Pugh, Pugh, ...........' not Hugh. Apparently they were twins according to Trumpton puppeteer Gordon Murray. Check out the Trumpton Wikipedia page.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only made 13 episodes. Only four figures with the kit so must be Dibble and Grubb's day off.

Need to see if I can find a left hand for the driver.

Build03_AirfixFireEngine_zps322660d9.jpg

Build02_AirfixFireEngine_zpsdd76862b.jpg

The red plastic is not easy to work with, hard to see the detail until it is given a coat of primer.

Build04_AirfixFireEngine_zpsd25dce7c.jpg

• Like 1

I have one of these in the stash, and have a couple of points to make:

1. It may be worth investing in some shares in companies making sanding products, the mould lines are seriously impressive.
  2. Re point one above, this GB only lasts until the end of May and you may run out of time sanding/filing those mould seams!

Finally, and above all else, you are one brave chap launching yourself into this kit. Good luck, you have another watcher.

I have one of these in the stash, and have a couple of points to make:

1. It may be worth investing in some shares in companies making sanding products, the mould lines are seriously impressive.
  2. Re point one above, this GB only lasts until the end of May and you may run out of time sanding/filing those mould seams!

Finally, and above all else, you are one brave chap launching yourself into this kit. Good luck, you have another watcher.

Yep. Lots of sanding. The plastic is also very brittle, I am having to repair quite a few parts

Work on the chassis is progressing.

Build05_AirfixFireEngine_zps5f9d6fa4.jpg

Build07_AirfixFireEngine_zpsc87e9ee1.jpg

• Like 4

Currently unfamiliar with the concept of "sun".

Progress continues - small sub assembly by small sub assembly.

Build08_AirfixFireEngine_zps4d5cfed1.jpg

Build09_AirfixFireEngine_zps473677fa.jpg

Build10_AirfixFireEngine_zps25efb031.jpg

Had to repair a lot of the handrails as the brittle plastic has shattered into many pieces, a few of which fell foul of the carpet monster.

• Like 4

Looking good so far. I don't know how you are managing to work with that colour of plastic! It makes my eyes water just looking at the photos!

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since I posted an updated. Progress is slow but I am on the finishing straight.

Build13_AirfixFireEngine_zps95a4ed23.jpg

Thanks for the tip about the decals, it work and I managed to salvage them.

Build14_AirfixFireEngine_zps018f4bcc.jpg

Made a start on Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew & Cuthbert.

Build15_AirfixFireEngine_zps2d778620.jpg

That will just leave the ladder. According to the instructions you can making a working version, considering how brittle the plastic is I think that may be a step too far.

• Like 5