Monogram Spit IX, can't wait for the kick-off........

Not a Spit fan, but karma dictated that I only had two kits that qualified for the build.......both Supermarine's finest.

So this will be my entry, but with a different finish:

x6lu38.jpg

35luwdg.jpg

It's a basic kit so I may to try chopping it up a little bit. Roll on Saturday!!!

Had the house to myself today. Quite apart from the peace and quiet I have managed to start Spitkit and this is the progress:

14bq54o.jpg

As it's a basic kit I've chopped some of the control surfaces off to reinstall later. Also - could any Spit experts comment on the accuracy of the underbelly fuel

tank please.

1ieu0y.jpg

A bit of fuselage and wheel well detail. As the radiator housings had a "see through" appearance I have added blanks to both front and rear .

iem4qe.jpg

Bit of a start on the fuselage. As the cockpit is completely devoid of any detail, even anything I add can only be an improvement (I think).

Thats it for now folks.

• Like 3

Hey mackem, i m not an expert at all (just like spit along with more ww2 planes), but the only time when i did see this long fuel tank to be used, was "modification XXX" :)

That was modification of this fuel tank to carry beer . The "beer" spits could take this one or one beer keg under each wing, instead of bombs (sure, for totaly diferent purposes :) )

You can read about it a bit more here if you are interested (I have plans to build 1/72 beer spit as soon as i have some current GB finished so thats why i know it :) )

Edited by Wolwe82

Hi Wolwe, I know the aircraft you talk about, but on page 328 of the Morgan & Shacklady book there is a picture of a Free French machine carrying a one of these tanks and it looks the same as the one in the kit so I'm just looking for some clarification.

nice going :)btw about the big fuel tank, i only ment i never saw image of spit with this big fuel tank, but i didnt mean it as stating some fact or so:) the "beer tank" was made of normal fuel tank so the big fuel tank had to be used, i just never had the luck to see image of spit with it, i hope its better said now :) But i think spit with this fuel tank would be nice change! :)

No probs Wolwe, I knew what you meant. In fact the beer truck Spit you mention is in line for a future build, but way down the line.

I, like you, had never seen a picture of this tank in use until I came across it in the book I mentioned and I think I'll use it. Gonna

try and get a bit more done tonight. I appreciate your input, your keeping me on the straight and narrow :winkgrin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realise that this kit was as basic as it is, having said that I've done a little more. Those of you familiar with the kit will know the only thing in the cockpit

was a blob of plastic masquerading as a pilot. Anyway I've relegated the blob to ground duties and have added some detail to the cockpit from the spares

box:

333eujs.jpg

2hgsprt.jpg

I've also tried to "busy up" the undercarriage bays with a bit of scrap plastic used as stiffeners. The one good thing about the basic undercart is the fact

that the way it assembles - it fixes the legs into the correct position/angle.

104i3qh.jpg

Hoping to get something mafor accomplished at the weekend. That's all for now chaps / chapesses.

• Like 1

That's great to hear. Group builds are great fun working alongside everyone else they can become very additive. I seem to have more GB builds on the bench these days than not. I have entered GB's on here to take my up till the summer then the second half of the year I have other builds which I would like to complete from the stash. I'm looking forward to seeing your weekend progression.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, a bit of time to post an update. I am enjoying this immensly as it's giving me the boot I need to model a bit quicker, although I'm still glacial by the standards of you boys and girls. I have done some preliminary filling with a thinned base coat to show up any dodgy areas, and this is where I'm at:

Port side

30nbql0.jpg

Topside

e1bt5v.jpg

Starboard side

2h6au4k.jpg

Front view, sans prop

2mpzzmu.jpg

Underside

148kmfk.jpg

This is the main area that needs some thinking out due to the "hollow" appearance where I have opened up the flaps. Anyhoo, more soon - any advice always gratefully received.

• Like 1

I remember this kit, alas like most early spits the unique gull wing is missing, same with the Oakati and Arri Kit later done by Airfix, Airwaves and Aeroclub used to do conversions and it really improved the look of the model.............................

• 1 month later...

I have been keeping up...........honest:

33zb9d5.jpg

2s9819s.jpg

2renxpt.jpg

2z9m7m8.jpg

vxltls.jpg

I have had some problems with some of the joint lines, especially the one along the nose. Can't get anymore filler to go in, but it won't disappear!

Finished for the day by getting some more paint on. Next up some paint touch-ups and then some gloss varnish. Thanks for taking a deek!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update, I have painted the airframe, glossed it, applied the markings. I used Revell Decalfix on the markings and I was really pleased with the results.

'Fraid you'll have to make do with my crappy photography, for some reason the pics come out crooked even though I take them at the correct angle. As usual, all comments/critcisms accepted:

1zcjq7r.jpg

aag8bt.jpg

s2uzie.jpg

2lm9m38.jpg

fjnt5i.jpg

I still need to figure out a way to make the flap inners less "open" and she'll need a lot of dirtying up - looking forward to that.

• Like 1

Nice job you are doing. Watching with interest.

This was the first ever 1/48 model I did as a kid. It must have been early to mid 60's and was one of the first I painted. Underside was a lurid duck egg green colour! Fun though

Going to push to get this done by the end of the week so I can then slope over to Harriers Inc. Meanwhile here's a little update:

Overview, as you can see she still needs a coat of matt varnish:

:2mct8w8.jpg

Underside views:

29dgy0o.jpg

2yy585j.jpg

I do need to add some detail to the bomb rack and inside the flaps, but I think I'm getting close.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys, cutting it fine but pictures now up in the gallery. This has been my first group build and I have really enjoyed it, not in the least because it had the desired effect of spurring me to finish something. My modelling is not as good as some of the masterpieces on here, but I'll keep trying - this is not my last GB!

• Like 2