SMER Macci MC.72 1:48 (1:50)

No much actually :-( I decided two weeks ago to go ahead with the S6B and finish this at least - will post an update of the S6B soon.

My etch sheets still did not arrive and it looks they will come too late. But I will continue with the MC 72 non the less - only that I fear it will not be ready by end of this month. Hopefully I will do some progress in the comong week...

Rene

A bit unexpected but a small update:

As said I do not expect that the model will be finished in time, still as the S.6B needs some hours off for curing I did some more work on the Macci. I started detailing the cockpit but not much to show currently other than cut "bulkheads".

But I was able to finish the float master. I had some thoughts on how to do the radiators and finally found a solution which realy pleases me:

1. I masked the areas for the radiators. I actually did this because I planned to use thick artist gel which can be shaped with a stiff brush to very fine parallel lines but turned out too small for the Macci (way too fine - the method below is a bit on the heavy side but better in my eyes). Still it turned out useful that I masked the floats.

2. I used this aluminum tape (sorry - I forgot the English name) which I wanted to use for NMF. I found it too thick: It dents and scratches too easily so I never did any NMF with it. But it works just great when you need debossed or embossed detail like here. I simply used one of my sculpting tools to deboss parallel lines as shown below. The nice thing is you can emboss your details to the tape before it is applied to curved parts which makes things a lot easier.

IMG_5077_zps0b80cde6.jpg

3. The aluminum tape sticks quite heavily so the low tack masking tape helps to cut the aluminum tape to the correct size and ...

IMG_5080_zpse0f8b4d2.jpg

4. ... the masking tape helps to remove the excess aluminum tape easily.

IMG_5084_zps6ae2a42f.jpg

5. Next narrow stripes of the aluminum tape are added to create the frames around the radiators.

IMG_5086_zps323d57ba.jpg

IMG_5088_zpsdde07c63.jpg

So next step for the foats will be makeing a mold and recast it. Will be tricky I think. :shutup:

Rene

• Like 3

That looks super. If it's the same aluminium tape I have (I bought mine from Maplins, it's about 1 inch/2.5cm wide) then it is quite fragile, so be warned when handling it. I did some stick on panels with embossed rivets on one of my builds, but by the time I came to paint, the rivets had all disappeared!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

So next step for the foats will be makeing a mold and recast it. Will be tricky I think. :shutup:

Hey Rene, fancy casting a couple of extra sets of those floats? I'd pay you for a set to add to my stash-located MC72.

• Like 1

Hey Rene, fancy casting a couple of extra sets of those floats? I'd pay you for a set to add to my stash-located MC72.

Let's wait an see how it turnes out... Actually I am thinking of doing a floats, wings and horizontal correction set - but then there is still so much wrong with the kit fuselage that there are still some things to sort out. So I am unsure about the sense of such a set.

I will PM you when I succeeded with the float castings.

Rene

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose this topic will be locked at some point because the GB is over. If this is the case I will continue in the WIP area.

At last I managed to make my first 2 part mold. I used a different RTV as usual as it cures stiffer which I though would be an advantage for this mold size (I used over 400 ml of Silicone which I did not quite expect). The problem with this RTV is the extreemely short pod life - you almost have no time to mix it. So the first half I poured showed some areas were the silicone was not mixed well - which makes the expected life of this mold very short I think. I did only three casts so far and the mold is showing wear already (good think the Silicone around the details seems to be still good). At least two out of three flaots came out good:

DSC_1523_zpsd75d4a00.jpg

DSC_1525_zpscc76a38f.jpg

I hope photobucket will show both pics horizontal as they should be and not vertical as the one always shows in photobucket no matter what I do. For some reason I have this problem with photobucket from time to time.

So next step will be cleaning up the resin parts and give them a coat of primer to check for pinholes.

Rene

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Taddahh! I ahve curerntly two build on my table which both need some airbrushing as a next step. But as I could not airbrush yesterday I pulled out the MC 72 to do some more work on the cockpit. I already did a rough clay master for the seat which has a rather complex shape and vacuformed some thick sheet over it (the thinn one did not work so good). So yesterday I cut the seat out, sanded it to shape an thickness, and added some details to the cockpit (all you see here is scratch build - there is no cockpit to speak of in the kit).

MC7210_zpsc87f800a.jpg

MC7211_zpsa2ab338e.jpg

Next update will be in a few months ;-)

Rene

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Pat,

thanks - I will finish it. But my man cave received a major overhaul. Well it still receives it and this has put an end to most of my builds. I fear it will take a few months till I can rearrange my workbench and all. When I restart the build it will be posted here.

Cheers,

Rene

• Like 1

Hi Rene

Good luck with the man cave revamp, and please let me know when you return to this build.

I have always found the Schneider Trophy fascinating and can't believe more people aren't interested.

Kind regards Pat