Airfix zero 1/72 - FINISHED

OK folks,I have lightened tamiya dark green to a faded hue and it looks OK to me as I want that end of hostilities worn out look next step is to see if

the maskol method is going to work.SDC10819_zps0dbfb6f9.jpg

Well,here,s the result of rubbing the surfaces with a soft cloth and I am reasonably happy with the result.I an going to touch up a few spots especially

the cowl and ponder how on earth I am going to tackle the decals.thanks for lookingSDC10822_zpsd0e46a7a.jpg

• Like 2

its looking nice, how did you applied the mascol? i did some testing with brush/toothpick applying and it wasnt giving good results (too rounded chips), but your chipping edges looks better. yesterday i did read about using sponge to apply the mascol? or it might be the rubbing off with cloth.. ll have to do more testing yet it seems :)

Anyway, your is looking realy nice:) just one thing, i know you said you are going to repair it yet, somaybe you have it on mind, but watch the control surfaces, as far as i know (and was reading all around in last days), these were made of cloth. If you are aware of that, ignore my comment :)

As for the question "why the wear and tear" on zeroes and many other japanese aircrafts, i m not expert but again, i did a lot of reading in past days and it appears the "navy" planes (for aircraft carriers and so on) - usualy finished in grey - were painted with quite strong red primer (as you can see it on many zero wrecks being still quite redish), so you dont see these weathered so hard. But the "army" planes (home defense and so on) had their paint applied directly on bare metal. So the paint itself could be very good, but without primer the paint has terrible survivabiity.

I m sure here are many many experts in zeroes and otherJapaneseplanes, so this is just few notes what i did read all around :)

its looking nice, how did you applied the mascol? i did some testing with brush/toothpick applying and it wasnt giving good results (too rounded chips), but your chipping edges looks better. yesterday i did read about using sponge to apply the mascol? or it might be the rubbing off with cloth.. ll have to do more testing yet it seems :)

Anyway, your is looking realy nice:) just one thing, i know you said you are going to repair it yet, somaybe you have it on mind, but watch the control surfaces, as far as i know (and was reading all around in last days), these were made of cloth. If you are aware of that, ignore my comment :)

As for the question "why the wear and tear" on zeroes and many other japanese aircrafts, i m not expert but again, i did a lot of reading in past days and it appears the "navy" planes (for aircraft carriers and so on) - usualy finished in grey - were painted with quite strong red primer (as you can see it on many zero wrecks being still quite redish), so you dont see these weathered so hard. But the "army" planes (home defense and so on) had their paint applied directly on bare metal. So the paint itself could be very good, but without primer the paint has terrible survivabiity.

I m sure here are many many experts in zeroes and otherJapaneseplanes, so this is just few notes what i did read all around :)

I had not thought about the control surfaces so thanks and i will re-paint them,just doing my usual hour of modelling before work so touching the areas

I was not to happy about(well went overboard on).the maskol was simply brushed on with quick flicks of the brush across the wings.

• Like 1

Cracking job so far!!!

Thats it for today,re-painted the cowl and control surfaces(thanks Wolwe82) and tried a couple of decals without glossing and top marks to Airfix

they have settled well.Thanks for lookingSDC10824_zpseb8e0390.jpg

• Like 2

Well the end is in sight for this one,under surfaces "dirtied" up just waiting for the final matt coat and gear doors to be fixed,canopy has a black

undercoat then will be painted mainly silver with what would have remained of the green where applicable.Thanks for looking.SDC10831_zps55f41838.jpgSDC10829_zpsa98d1be6.jpg

• Like 2

That looks really good, very well used that's for sure!! :) wouldn't the bottom be as... Bare like the top tho?? Either way I think it's a fantastic look!

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thanks dazz,right or wrong I thought the under surface would not have been exposed to the direct sunlight of the tropics hence the better condition

of the paintwork.

Hi folks,nearly there with this one just the canopy to paint and a few decals to add so should be finished in a couple of days,got u/c completed today

and painted the remnants of the yellow bands that were applied on the wings when the real aicraft entered service.SDC10834_zps187c14f4.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work on the weathering! There have been some impressively battered zeros on BM recently. Really tempted to try one of them but I'm going to have to practice my weathering skills a lot more first!

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 months later...

Fantastic result! It was this build that inspired me to do the paint chipping on my Sandspeeder :) After a bit of experimenting, I used a tiny piece of scouring pad to gently dab the Maskol on which gave me very random pattern. After a dozen or so dabs I did have to use a new piece as it gums up and isn't as effective but scouring pads are cheap. The only problem was finding all the Maskol bits post-painting ;)