Airfix zero 1/72 - FINISHED

Hi folks,as a second entry I would like to do Airfix,s recent Zero.I have had this kit over a year and cut everything of the sprues

and just never got any further,I have been looking around for reference photos etc and on this very site found navy birds

superb build with yellow undersides so may go that route but be warned I intend an over the top wear and tear finish which many

will reel back in horror from!AirfixZeroBoxart_zps7d3aebfb.jpg

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

Nice choice steve! :) have one on work bench right now too - if you have any info about interrior colours for this camo, or any simple reference where would be serial number = colour X, let me (and probably others too :) ) know here please :) I m sorry for posting it but i spent all night searching and all i got is headache (and a bit of frustration :) ).

Nice choice steve! :) have one on work bench right now too - if you have any info about interrior colours for this camo, or any simple reference where would be serial number = colour X, let me (and probably others too :) ) know here please :) I m sorry for posting it but i spent all night searching and all i got is headache (and a bit of frustration :) ).

Have to agree with Jessica looking at all the info on the net the real aircraft I have seen seem to have interior green paintwork,but modellers seem to finish them

in black and even a metalic silver blue which I know the wheel wells were finished in so I am going the interior green route.

The metallic blue is a result of generalisation from a few samples which crept into the references during the 1950s and 60s and then couldn't be dislodged. Aotake was widely used to preserve interior surfaces, and indeed certain aircraft did have it in their cockpit areas but A6Ms were not among that number.

Thanks guys and one more question if i may - how would u paint interrior outside of cockpit? i saw grey or aotake on colour photos but it was all from museums, so trying to find how to paint inner fuselage out of cockpit. Thats my last spamm here steve i m sorry i m taking a bit of your thread, wish you best luck in your build :) just one more day ! :)

This is a lovely kit ! I have one on the workbench myself and apart from a slightly badly moulded cowling I've not had any problem yet. It looks good straight from the box and is a great canvas for anyone who wants to add some detail

Colours of details vary depending on the manufacturer of the Aircraft: Mitsubishi ones had a certain green in the cockpit, Nakajima ones a different green. Now I understand that one is not far from british grey-green, the other more olive, can't remember which is which (but I have a feeling Nakajima,s is closer to the British).

Wheel Wells IIRC are in the lower surface colour for Mitsubishi aircrafts and in aotake for the Nakajima ones.

• Like 1

This is a lovely kit ! I have one on the workbench myself and apart from a slightly badly moulded cowling I've not had any problem yet. It looks good straight from the box and is a great canvas for anyone who wants to add some detail

Colours of details vary depending on the manufacturer of the Aircraft: Mitsubishi ones had a certain green in the cockpit, Nakajima ones a different green. Now I understand that one is not far from british grey-green, the other more olive, can't remember which is which (but I have a feeling Nakajima,s is closer to the British).

Wheel Wells IIRC are in the lower surface colour for Mitsubishi aircrafts and in aotake for the Nakajima ones.

Thanks Giorgio glad you mentioned the wheel wells,most models on the net have the aotake finish but colour photo,s of real aircraft(many restored)

are in the under surface colour of the aircraft.

Good stuff. I built one of these a little while ago, i would say its probably my favourite of the 'new' Airfix kits. Went together really well and looks just right when done.

Lokking forward to seeing your paint job and weathering!

Nick

Hi folks, heres the Zero up to date,outstanding little kit no filler needed at all.I have under coated it in silver as part of the weathering plan which will

involve using maskol which I saw used in a magazine article so it could end in tears!Thanks for looking.SDC10806_zpsdd56c7ac.jpg

• Like 1

i ll be watching this, nice going so far steve. if you want some inspiration, i mean, for the chipping, to make it into some shape and so, you can check my zero WIP thread, today i did post there some war or maybe early post war photos of zeroes, which i ll be using as reference later too :) so feel free to check it out, hope it can help a bit :)

After thinking about the chipping. Would the salt technique be a better option than maskol?

I have heard of salt for paint chipping but never checked out to see how it,s done.the maskol has been applied so fingers crossed when the

time comes to remove it it works if it,s a disaster at least it can be ruled out for anyone else thinking of giving it a go!

• Like 1

i ll be watching this, nice going so far steve. if you want some inspiration, i mean, for the chipping, to make it into some shape and so, you can check my zero WIP thread, today i did post there some war or maybe early post war photos of zeroes, which i ll be using as reference later too :) so feel free to check it out, hope it can help a bit :)

Thanks have been following your superb build since it started and can,t believe the detail achieved for such a small kit.

• Like 1

Thanks steve a lot and sorry i didnt mean it as some kind of commercial, just wanted to help a bit with inspiration, as the old zero photos are just awesome (at least in my eyes :) ) . I hope the finish of your zero ll be great for whatever technique you ll go :)

A few days off and a bit more progress,as I said I,m going with yellow undersides and four cotes later I,m happy to call it done.So next step is the top

surface colour and I am trying to decide the shade of green.I have tamiyas correct colour for the aircraft but as I am showing heavy wear need to

achieve a lighter "bleached" colour.Thanks for lookingSDC10815_zpsbbb7e670.jpg

• Like 2